What were the duties of SS Das Reich in France 1942?

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
sorryforit

What were the duties of SS Das Reich in France 1942?

Post by sorryforit » 23 Apr 2018, 17:58

What were the duties of SS Das Reich in France 1942?-I have read that the "mauled" Reich Division was sent from Operation Barbarossa to Southern France to rest and rebuild as SS Das Reich from March of 1942 until about January 1943? I have to believe they had official wartime duties there as well, besides a sunny vacation. Can anyone lend their wisdom and knowledge on this matter to me? Thank you, Jerry

LineDoggie

Re: What were the duties of SS Das Reich in France 1942?

Post by LineDoggie » 24 Apr 2018, 17:40

Training for one-

Integrating replacements into cohesive units takes time to build from Individual through section to platoon, company battalion levels....

Local Security
Reserve for possible invasion
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: What were the duties of SS Das Reich in France 1942?

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 08 Jun 2018, 04:42

LineDoggie wrote:... Reserve for possible invasion
Part of the cover for the assorted convoys and fleets departing the UK for Op TORCH, was a deception op. aimed at leading the Germans to think it might be a invasion fleet headed for Brittany. That operation only lasted a few days, then shifted to a different story of reinforcements for Egypt. However the German command in France prudently ordered a alert and all units to their anti invasion posts. As I understand the Das Reich Div & the rest of the SS Corps moved to assembly areas near Rennes & awaited developments.

Return to “France 1919-1945”