Looking for information about major general Ralph Corbett SMITH

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
scribae

Looking for information about major general Ralph Corbett SMITH

Post by scribae » 13 Feb 2019, 17:57

Hello,
First of all, I apologize for my bad english, but I am french !

I am looking for information concerning Major General Ralph Corbett SMITH because he stayed with my family for a time. When and why, this is what I want to find out.
My family lived in a very small village called Baudignecourt, Meuse, France and Ralph Smith has spent some time with them and kept in touch all along his live. He came and visited sevveral times after his first stay, with his wife Madeleine. And he's always sent a christmas card every year to my great-grandma.

I can not figure out why he would have been housed at my great-grand-parents' at the first place because their village is nothing to do with any of the 2 WW and their house was not luxurious at all !

I know he was sent to the Meuse-Argonne offensive in 1918. Would it be possible that he was hosted by a french family at about 65 miles away ? Then, why my family ???
My great-grant-father was at that time a soldier in the 102e regiment of French artillery, based at Verdun. Could have they met and become frends ???
Or was he sent again to this part of France later on during his career ? But why would he stay with French people instead of going to an hotel ?

An other track concerns his wife Madeleine. I know she was french but what was her last name ? Where exactly was she from ? And when did they get married ?

Because Ralph and her came several times to visit, at least until the 60's, and I am sure they didn't make the trip only to have a cup of coffee with my great-grandma ! Did Madeleine have family somewhere aroud ?

If any of you had an idea of how I could get answers to those questions, that would be wonderful !

Merci.
Emma

Steen Ammentorp

Re: Looking for information about major general Ralph Corbett SMITH

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 17 Feb 2019, 08:55

Bonjour,

Madeleines birth name was Fereyre. There was other French connections. In 1919 he attended the Sorbonne and 1935-1937 the Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

scribae

Re: Looking for information about major general Ralph Corbett SMITH

Post by scribae » 18 Feb 2019, 12:20

Hi Steen,

This is a start !!! I am going to look if there are some Fereyre families around my area.

Concerning both school you are talking about, they are in Paris so I still don't understand where the connection with my family coud be.

Thank you very much !I was starting to be desespareted.

Emma

Return to “France 1919-1945”