How many tanks did Vichy's Armee Nouvelle conceal from the German and Italian Armistice Commisions?

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
Sid Guttridge

How many tanks did Vichy's Armee Nouvelle conceal from the German and Italian Armistice Commisions?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jan 2022, 15:32

I recently bought a book titled Une Entreprise Clandestine sous l'Occupation Allemande by Joseph Restany (Paris 1948).

On p.79 it mentions a Rernault D2 tank hidden at Saint-Martial-de-Nabirat. This had fallen into a gorge during the 1940 campaign and had been presumed written off, but the Vichy French successfully repaired it. This seems to be very well attested.

However, I recall several other mentions over the years of other tanks being hidden by Vichy from the German and Italian Armistice Commissions in mainland France.

Other instances from my notes:

1) The SOMUA factory reportedly managed to smuggle sufficient spare parts across the Demarcation Line to complete three hidden S-35 tanks. However, I have no details about where these were allegedly hidden.

2) Eight B.1bis heavy tanks were hidden in the Alpilles but were betrayed to the Italians. I have no further details beyond, "Italy independently from Germany captured eight Chars B1 bis when in October 1940 an Italian worker disclosed to the Italian Armistice Commission that they in July had been hidden in a cave near Les Baux-de-Provence."

Can anyone confirm these two reports or add more details?

Does anyone know if any other French tanks were claimed to have been hidden from the Armistice Commissions inside Vichy France?

Many thanks.

Sid.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: How many tanks did Vichy's Armee Nouvelle conceal from the German and Italian Armistice Commisions?

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 05 Feb 2022, 01:35

Lots of claims, but little evidence in the English language histories.

Either Jacksons 'The Dark Years' or Paxtons 'Vichy France' refers to 100+ agricultural machine chassis imported from the US 1941 or 1942, with German approval. These had clandestine 'bolt on' light armored bodies made to turn them into some sort of protected MG or other weapon carrier. There was also clandestine design work continued on a few tank designs. The ARL with a 90mm gun is the common example.

Sid Guttridge

Re: How many tanks did Vichy's Armee Nouvelle conceal from the German and Italian Armistice Commisions?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 05 Feb 2022, 09:20

Hi Carl,

Thanks.

Some 225 GMC 4WD trucks were imported from the USA, apparently as a result of a pre-Armistice order, and their clandestine conversion into armoured cars is the subject of the book I mention above.

Vichy also persuaded the Germans to allow the continued production of the tracked Lorraine 37L tank supply tractor as an agricultural and forestry vehicle by stripping away the armour and later reducing the length by removing two of the six bogie wheels. About 150 were built. Vichy then secretly manufactured and hid armour that could be reapplied to them. It seems unclear what armament they would have carried.

New turrets were also made that could be retro-fitted to the 64 Panhard armoured car chassis that Vichy's army was allowed to retain.

However, apart from the Panhard turrets, only one GMC armoured car prototype was completed and tested in late October 1942. Although a lot of armour had been hidden for further conversions, all the projects were necessarily stopped once Germany occupied Vichy France in the following month.

The tank design you mention was the SARL42, which was a development of the Somua S35. It never got off the drawing board. It was to have had a relatively low velocity 75mm gun, because this was all Vichy had available.

All these plans were presumably necessary because few tanks had been successfully hidden from the Germans on the Armistice Commission, which was why I asked my original question.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “France 1919-1945”