Bastille Day ... but in 1937-1938 (photos)

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
David Lehmann

Bastille Day ... but in 1937-1938 (photos)

Post by David Lehmann » 15 Jul 2004, 22:21

Yesterday was the French national day and its usual military parade ... here are some photos of the parade but taken in 1937 and 1938.
Attachments
Renault UE .jpg
Renault UE .jpg (232.13 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
H39 tanks (37mm SA18 version).jpg
H39 tanks (37mm SA18 version).jpg (96.32 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Somua S35 .jpg
Somua S35 .jpg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 15 Jul 2004, 22:23

A few more :
Attachments
Foreign Legion.jpg
Foreign Legion.jpg (227.37 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
1937 parade.jpg
1937 parade.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
side-cars.jpg
side-cars.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 1744 times

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 16 Jul 2004, 01:10

David,
I have been playing Meuse Crossing Mod for Close Combat V and I saw many various French formations.
Could you explain me the difference between voltigeurs, tirallieurs and chasseurs?
What means dragons portes?
I don't speak French so maybe some letters are incorrect :?
Regards,
Chris

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 16 Jul 2004, 08:19

Hello,

Voltigeurs is in fact not a squad type but it corresponds probably in the game to classical infantry. Tirailleurs are colonial infantry units. About Chasseurs ... mmmm could be 'Chasseurs à pied' (light infantry), 'Chasseurs à cheval' (light horse mounted cavalry), 'Chasseurs Alpins' (Alpine troops), 'Chasseurs Portés' (mechanized infantry).

I will try a little French glossary :

- "Dragons Portés" (Portés means carried by a vehicle) is the motorized infantry classicaly in the Division Légère Mécanique (DLM) and Division Légère de Cavalerie (DLC).
Dragons Portes were professional units of better morale, though few personnel had any combat experience (senior officers were often WWI veterans though). They were the the motorized infantry in the Division Legere Mécanique (DLM) and Division Legere de Cavalerie (DLC).The firepower of the squads was high since each was armed with two LMGs. The French Dragons Portes squad was designed to cover a large ground area and as such during initial planning for these units (in the early 30's), each squad received 2 LMGs. At the beginning, all squads were equipped with 2 vehicles carrying each 1 LMG and 7 men : in fact 1 half-squad of 6 men + 1 driver. So a Dragons Portés Squad squad had 12 men (1 VB launcher, 2 LMGs) and 2 vehicle. The problem was the number of vehicles. So a bigger vehicle has been designed (Laffly S20TL for the Dragons Portes) to carry the whole squad, but this time reduced to 10 men, keeping the same armament (1 VB launcher, 2 LMGs). Each Laffly S20TL was equiped with two AA mounts which could possibly be fitted on each aft corner, on each side, and on the center the first row of rear seats and the rest of the hull. The devices could accomodate either a FM 24/29 or a 8 mm Hotchkiss MG. However for combat, both LMGs were supposed to be used by the squad (only during transport would the LMGs be used in an AA role. (RDP = regiment de Dragons Portes).
Laffly S20TL = softskin vehicle also known as "VDP" for "voiture de Dragons Portés" = Dragons Portés's car. The vehicle were to be hidden quite far away from where the Dragons Portés were supposed to fight. French troops were surprised by the German Schützen + SPWs tactics which would usually dismount troops just before MG range. This also resulted in German APCs being destroyed by the French AT guns.

- "Chasseurs Portés" is the mechanized infantry in the Division Cuirassée de Réserve (DCR).
Chasseurs Portes were professional units of better morale, though few personnel had any combat experience (senior officers were often WWI veterans though). They were the mechanized infantry in the Division Cuirassée (DCR). The firepower of the squads was high since each was armed with two LMGs. The Chasseurs Portes squad consisted of 10 men (1 VB launcher, 2 LMGs) and one Lorraine 38L APC. The French Chasseurs Portes squad was designed to cover a large ground area and as such each squad received 2 LMGs. (BCP = bataillon de chasseurs portes).

Lorraine 38L = APC also known as "VBCP" for "voiture blindée de Chasseurs Portés" Chasseurs Portés's armoured car.
The Lorraine 38L had a carry capacity of 12 men (6 in the tractor and 6 in the trailer). The platoon leader's vehicle had only 7 occupants so there would have been ample space in the trailer for other items. The Lorraine 39L model, expected to be in production from August 1940, had a capacity of 10 men but had no trailer.

- "Infanterie".
Can be found in infantry divisions (DI) and motorized infantry divisions (DIM). In the Infantry divisions, each infantry squad consisted of 12 men. The "Voltigeurs" is in fact not a type of squad but just a name in the French infantry. The squad is virtually composed of 2 half-squads : one half-squad is the "fire element" with the FM 24/29 (it is called the "Fusiliers" half-squad) and one half-squad is the "shock element" with the VB launcher (it is called the "Voltigeurs" half-squad). That's why the french infantry squad is also sometimes called a "Fusiliers-Voltigeurs squad".
The classical motorized infantry squad of a DIM (motorized infantry division) is a classical infantry 12-men squad but carried by a large truck or prime mover (Laffly S20TL and Lorraine 38L are only for the Dragons Portes and Chasseurs Portes units). For the DIM the trucks are not endivisioned but provided by special trucks companies, the GTPs = groupes de transport de personnel. 3 GTPs are assigned to a DIM (1 GTP = 2 trucks companies and 1 buses company : about 200 trucks and 180 buses). The fortress infantry units (DIF = division d'infanterie de forteress) where serving along the Maginot line fortifications. The legionnaires are also found in infantry units like the DBLE (demi-brigade de la legion etrangere) or the REI (regiment etranger d'infanterie).

In fact things are more intricate :

Different types of infantry :
Motorised infantry
Infantry
Mountain infantry
Light mountain
North African infantry
Colonial infantry
Light infantry
Light infantry, type Overseas

And different types of infantry units :
Infantry Brigade
Metropolitan Infantry Regiment type "North-East"
Metropolitan Infantry Regiment type "Overseas"
Half-Brigade and Battalions of Chasseurs
Zouave Infantry Regiment
North African Tirailleur Regiments (all types)
Mountain Infantry Regiment
Half-Brigade and Battalions of Alpine Chasseurs
Pyrenean Half-Brigade and Battalions
Motorised Infantry Regiment
Mechanised Infantry Battalion
Foreign Legion Regiment, Battalion, Half-Brigade, Brigade ...
Half-Brigade and Battalions of Light Infantry
Fortress Infantry Regiments
Alpine Fortress Half-Brigades and Battalions
Machine-gun Battalion
Coastal Defence Formations
Local Defence Regiments, Battalions and Companies
Pioneer Regiment and Independent Pioneer/Labour units
Divisional Pioneer Company

Each squad works with these half squads, that's why generally all french infantry squads are composed of 12 men.
exception : cavalry 13 men, motocyclists 10 men and the Dragons and Chasseurs reduced to 10 men as I indicated because of the vehicle problem (but they have 2 FM 24/29).

- "Infanterie Coloniale" is for "Colonial Infantry".
This name covers in 1940 "Marine Infantry" (also called "Fusiliers Marins" or "Marsouins") units and also units formed with natives from the colonies : Goumiers (Moroccan), Tirailleurs (Senegalese, Tunisian, Moroccan and Algerian) and Zouaves. Goumiers are Moroccan infantrymen with also many mule packs to carry mortars and MGs. In 1942, a so-called Goum is the equivalent of a company of Goumiers : about 200 men with mule packs. Most of these units had also a high amount of Europeans, they were not totally composed of natives from the colonies. Here are the abbreviations for different colonial divisions and regiments :
DIA = Division d'infanterie Africaine
DINA = Division d'infanterie Nord-Africaine
DM = Division Marocaine
DIC = Division d'infanterie coloniale
RIC = regiment d'infanterie coloniale
RICM = regiment d'infaterie coloniale du maroc
RICMS = regiment d'infanterie coloniale mixte senegalais
RMIC = regiment mixte d'infanterie coloniale
RZ = regiment de zouaves
RTA = regiment de tirailleurs algeriens
RTT = regiment de tirailleurs tunisiens
RTM = regiment de tirailleurs marocains
RTS = regiment de tirailleurs senegalais
RMM = regiment mixte malgache

- "Infanterie de Forteresse" is for the infantry units serving in the Fortifications (DIF).

- "Groupes Francs" are special infiltration and deep recon units.

- "Chasseurs Alpins" are elite mountain troops like the "Gebirgsjäger".
Chasseurs Alpins were professional alpine troops of better morale, though few personnel had any combat experience (senior officers were often WWI veterans though).
- RIA=regiment d'infanterie alpine
- DIAlp= division d'infanterie alpine

- "SES" is for "Section d'Eclaireurs Skieurs" (elite recon Chasseurs Alpins troops).

- "Infanterie de l'Air" is for airborne infantry, always used as foot infantry in 1939/1940.
See the separate thread about them.

- "Sapeurs-Mineurs"
"Sapeurs-Mineurs" are engineers used for mining and assault instead of "Pionniers" mostly used for construction (or destruction) and bridging tasks.

- "Cavalerie" is for Cavalry units in the DLC or DLM (it can be "Cuirassiers", "Chasseurs à Cheval" or "Hussards") (horse mounted or with armored cars or tanks).

- "Cuirassiers" and "Dragons" terms corresponds also to armored units (H35/39, S35, B1bis).

Regards,

David
Last edited by David Lehmann on 16 Jul 2004, 18:09, edited 3 times in total.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 16 Jul 2004, 08:35

Hello,

Other abbreviations :

BDAA = Batterie Divisionaire anti-aérienne = AA divisional battery for the protection of an artillery regiment

BDAC = Batterie Divisionaire anti-char = AT divisional battery for the protection of an artillery regiment

ME = Mitrailleuses et Engins = name of a kind of support squadron or company (MG, AT, mortars)

GRCA = Groupe de Reconnaissance de Corps d'Armée = Reconnaissance Group of an Army Group

GRDI = Groupe de Reconnaissance de Division d'Infanterie = Reconnaissance Group of an Infantry Division

AMC = Automitrailleuse de Combat = tracked (or half-tracked vehicle that has better armament and armor capable of fighting (AMC P16 Mle29, AMC-34 and AMC-35).

AMD = Automitrailleuse de Découverte = distant reconnaissance wheeled vehicles (P178, P165/175, Laffly 80AM, Laffly 50AM, Laffly S15 ...).

AMR = Automitrailleuse de Reconnaissance = cross country reconnaissance, light tank with a machine gun (all AMR-33 and AMR-35 - ZTD1, ZT2, ZT3 - types)

Light and Medium (H35/38/39, S35) are found in the DLCs, DLMs and heavy tanks like the B1bis are found in the DCRs or independant units. The tanks are organized in in BCCs (bataillons de chars de combat = tank battailons), CACC (compagnies autonomes de chars de combat = autonomous tank companies), "Cuirassiers" regiments and "Dragons" regiments.
- DCR = Division Cuirassée de Réserve = Reserve Armored Division
- DLC = Division Légere de Cavalerie = Light Cavalry Division
- DLM = Division Légere Mécanique = Light Mechanized Division

About the DCR acronym :
The acronym DCR was chosen in order to differentiate it from the already existing DC (= Division de Cavalerie = Cavalry Division). But it was indeed originally meant as "Division Cuirassée de Réserve". These new units would not be ready until 1940 and were initially assigned to the HQ reserve, thus their name. But once in the field they were simply known as "Divisions Cuirassées", which was technically abbreviated as DCu, yet DCR was often retained (leading to the form DCr).

Regards,

David

Musashi

Post by Musashi » 16 Jul 2004, 12:59

Thank you for so detailed posts :)
The legionnaires are also found in infantry units like the DBLE (demi-brigade de la legion etrangere) or the REI (regiment etranger d'infanterie).

I am a BIT more familiar with Foreign Legion abbreviations. Besides I know 13 DBLE was fighting together with Polish soldiers in Narvik in 1940.
"Corps Francs" is a special infiltration and deep recon unit.
Its one of my favourite units in the mod. They have very high morale, are well trained and armed with a few submachine guns. If I remember well, a squad consisted of 5 soldiers.
"Sapeurs-Mineurs"
They are also well armed, trained and the squad is big.
DCR = Division Cuirassée de Réserve = Reserve Armored Division
Weren't there any non-reserve Cuirassée units during the campaign in 1940? I remember the Cuirassées were elite units during Napoleonic wars.
Best regards,
Chris

Musashi

Post by Musashi » 16 Jul 2004, 14:06

You have two screenshots from the mod.
Here is my French sniper
He got more than 50 kills in a few days, but I had to format my hard drive and the image was lost.
The general view of the battle in which the sniper took part:
The new version of the nod will be available soon.
BTW
I wonder why haven't you created a topic about the battle of Camerone yet. If I were a French I would have done it a long time ago :)
Best regards,
Musashi (Mr. 18 inches :lol: :wink: )

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 16 Jul 2004, 18:05

Hello Musashi,

I know the mod but I have never played it ... By the way I haven't played any CC game for several years. I had sent some developpers of the mod many photos of French troops, to a Belgian guy I can't remember his name.

The 'Groupes Francs' units were constituted in many divisions with highly motivated volunteers for ambushes and deep patrol behind the German lines already during the Phoney War. The size of a Groupe Franc could be variable : platoon or company often but the squads were composed of 10-12 men not only 5. Genrally in a Corps Francs squad of 12 men you had 2 FM 24/29, 2-3 SMGs, carbines (Mousqueton Berthier Mle1892M16), pistols and revolvers and a lot of grenades.
It was the classical unit in which you could find all the Erma MP from the French Army. The soldier from your game you called your sniper is labelled 'éclaireur', which means scout but in fact the photo shows a soldier from a Groupe Franc with an Erma MP.
Weren't there any non-reserve Cuirassée units during the campaign in 1940? I remember the Cuirassées were elite units during Napoleonic wars.
Concernin the DCR acronym it was as I tried to explain used to differentiate from the DC (cavalry division) it doesn't mean that these divisions were composed of 'reserve' second line troops.
In the DCR you will find tanks from the infantry and in the DLC and DLM the tanks from the cavalry.

'Cuirassée' means just armored.
The word 'Cuirassiers' designs a unit type ... formerly heavy cavalry but in 1940 they were armored units.
Concerning the cavalry units like the 'Cuirassiers', the 'Dragons', 'Hussards' and 'Chasseurs d'Afrique' became units equiped with armored cars and tanks. In the DLC you can find motorized/mechanized units beside horse mounted units.

Before, from 1860 to 1914 for example there were also Lanciers ... here are photos from the different cavalry men from these times :
http://www.military-photos.com/index-photo.htm

Cuirrasiers :
http://www.military-photos.com/CAV3SUB2.jpg
http://www.military-photos.com/VALETCUIRA.jpg

Cuirrasiers under Napoléon I :
http://www.histofig.com/history/empire/ ... cav_01.jpg
http://www.histofig.com/history/empire/ ... cav_02.jpg
http://www.histofig.com/history/empire/ ... cav_03.jpg

Dragons :
http://www.military-photos.com/DRAGMTZ.jpg
http://www.military-photos.com/DRAG8.jpg

Hussards :
http://www.military-photos.com/HUSS9.jpg
http://www.military-photos.com/CAVAA1.jpg
http://www.military-photos.com/VALETGUIDEA.jpg

Chasseurs à cheval :
http://www.military-photos.com/LUMIERE.jpg

Lanciers :
http://www.military-photos.com/CAV2SUB3.jpg

Chevau-Légers Lanciers under Napoléon I :
http://www.histofig.com/history/empire/ ... cav_04.jpg
http://www.histofig.com/history/empire/ ... cav_05.jpg

Chasseurs d'Afrique :
http://www.military-photos.com/CMDTCHASS.jpg
http://www.military-photos.com/CHASDAFA.jpg

I did not wrote a thread about Camerone because it is usually well known I guess, because I am busy preparing other posts and because my personal main interests goes rather to the 1939-1940 army or later :)

Regards,

David
Last edited by David Lehmann on 16 Jul 2004, 18:31, edited 3 times in total.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 16 Jul 2004, 18:23

Here are some Corps Francs soldiers in 1939-1940 :
Attachments
1035_24_100.jpg
1035_24_100.jpg (115.71 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
590_18_45.jpg
590_18_45.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
590_18_35.jpg
590_18_35.jpg (60.42 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 16 Jul 2004, 18:28

And a few more photos :
Attachments
146eRIF corps francs (offensive grenades, pistols, 2 EMP, 1 FM, carbines 1892 M16).jpg
146eRIF corps francs (offensive grenades, pistols, 2 EMP, 1 FM, carbines 1892 M16).jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Gpe Franc_2.jpg
Gpe Franc_2.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Groupes francs.jpg
Groupes francs.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 1673 times

Return to “France 1919-1945”