Book: Inside the Foreign Legion

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
admfisher

Book: Inside the Foreign Legion

Post by admfisher » 15 Sep 2002, 21:05

Hi all
I am reading: Inside the Foreign Legion, by John Parker.
Another logical step in the study of what happened after the war with some Germans.
Many German soldiers that were captured and imprisoned in France were give the opportunity to be spared by signing on with the Legion.
There is a quote in here that might be of interest:
"Colonel Raspeguy who was to support, two battalions of legionnaires in an attack against Viet positions with his para's. At a given signal the legionnaires emerged from the trenches en masse. They advanced , on line, step by step, as though a drum was out the time, like a loud death march under a heavy, overcast sky. The legionnaires kept advancing at the same pace, bolt upright, without lengthening or shortening their stride. They did not even turn around when one of their number fell beside them." "With their submachine-guns under their arms, stopping now and then to fire a well aimed burst, they went on step by step, a blank expression on their faces. There were quite a lot of Germans among them; they were the ones who set the pace."
It then goes on to finish the engagement. But remarkable, it backs up by reading from earlier when I new of the Germans who served there. As a matter of a fact the Legion was 42 % German in make up in the mid to late 20's. When the WW2 started some Germans who could leave the legion returned to Germany others simply went in to internment till the end of the war.

For a the Legion this book is something, I have always know of them, but never to this extent. What a fine force the French created.

:mrgreen:

Luca

Post by Luca » 15 Sep 2002, 23:04

I don't know much about this but appare that no only the Germans in french area join into the Legion Etrangere.
Much escaped people no ve the same chance for arrive in secure lands as South America as high ranks.
Is also right that for much peoples the only work know was the soldier work ,so was naturally possibility of work, and more naturally if we consider the catastrophic situation of immediatly post war Europa.
Germans Legionaires of the immediatly postwar was in great considerations form the high ranks cause the great ability and experience in the work of the soldier.
The only Totenkopf ring that i know original for sure was reported from a Italian Legionair from Indocina.
Was a present of a good legionair kamerad immediatly before he death for wondeds.
Best Regards
Luca

admfisher

Foreign Legion

Post by admfisher » 16 Sep 2002, 22:51

The book shows a military elite unit that is probably the oldest standing one.
In the start it would recurit from anyone or anywhere, this was not all bad. The so called low life were from hard lifes and were forged into a great fighting unit.

As with the Germans in the Legion they still are in the legion today, many won awards for bravery while in service with the Legion. Once in the Legion you become a memeber of it's "family", till death if you keep your contract.

Overall it is a great book.

Return to “France 1919-1945”