How does WW2 era Physical Training compare to today?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Felix C

How does WW2 era Physical Training compare to today?

Post by Felix C » 20 May 2017, 01:44

I understand the burpee was invented for use during WW2. I do them and find them beastly.

How advanced was PT back then?

I see caloric intake was well understood.
Last edited by Felix C on 20 May 2017, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Sheldrake

Re: How does WW2 era Physical Training compare to today?

Post by Sheldrake » 20 May 2017, 10:04

Check them yourself
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/re ... M21-20.PDF
http://wartimecanada.ca/sites/default/f ... Tables.pdf
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/09/1 ... war-ii-gi/

and WW1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-RL5Wj4gug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot9K-rS4A3M
WW1 PT involved much less lying on the floor - no sit ups etc. Probably because there may not always be facilities to wash clothes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbskETyWw9U

Canadian schools can try ww1 PHYSICAL TRAINING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aR402gklok

You won't find many modern gyms offering bayonet exercises ....

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 21 May 2017, 01:10

Thanks. Have to admit all of the requirements in art of manliness are still doable at my half century mark age.
No bayonet training though which is a shame.

South

Post by South » 21 May 2017, 08:19

Good morning Felix and Sheldrake,

I understand the question is re physical training. I believe it is pertinent to add the current environment to properly discuss PT.

From one of my veterans magazines, an article mentions: "Mission Readiness, a nongovernmental organization representing over 600 retired admirals, generals, and top military leaders, released a report in 2010 which noted that 27% of young adults are too overweight to fight in the military (this percentage balloons to over 50% when other health problems are included). ... "

As an aside I had bayonet training in the US Army. See FM 21-150, originally titled "Hand To Hand Combat" and then retitled "Combatives". Can only guess but it's probably now retitled to "Be Nice; Try To Understand...".

~ Bob
eastern Virginia

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 21 May 2017, 18:32

Hahaha about the lack of fitness. Good Morning to you as well. Just returned from our morning weekend boot camp in the park and we did the entire GI course. It was fun. Plus a quantity of uphill-downhill 100-150lb farmer's walks which simulates carrying ammo cans in each hand. Plus other stuff we normally do that was not fun. We are all late 30s to 53.-me.

Then we have been at it for three years so everyone is conditioned.

I did read in Band of Brothers and others related to the airborne training at Toccoa where the standards where much higher than for infantry. There was a serious hill run in their training and apparently everything was done on the double as they say. That would be too much for me.

Winters of BOB fame did mention he credits the impressive PT for part of their success later on the battlefield. Heightened physical Stamina I presume is what he meant.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 22 May 2017, 04:09

South wrote:...
From one of my veterans magazines, an article mentions: "Mission Readiness, a nongovernmental organization representing over 600 retired admirals, generals, and top military leaders, released a report in 2010 which noted that 27% of young adults are too overweight to fight in the military (this percentage balloons to over 50% when other health problems are included). ... "

In 1917 & 1940-41 large numbers on men undergoing induction physicals were found unfit. Underweight, too many missing teeth, poor eyesight, collapsed feet, ... poor nutrition during the Depression years affected the health of millions of young men. My father suffered from residual effects of Ricketts, he managed to conceal it well enough to gain a ROTC scholarship in 1938.

After the early years the leadership & training cadre was established and standards were reduced to allow filling out the lower ranks & cannon fodder with lower category men.

When I went through USMC recruit training in 1974 the 'Fat Platoon' was a fixture of the recruit depot. A portion of every new training platoon formed diverted to the fat farm for remedial preparation before continuing with training. There was also a "Alphabets Platoon" where semi literates slipped in by the recruiters were given a crash course in reading and elementary math.

South

Post by South » 22 May 2017, 11:54

Good morning Carl,

True, however, ...

WWI and WWII had conscription, the draft.

Today, the potential military labor pool is comprised of volunteers.

Thus, ... and I realize I'm partly steering the thread off topic ... the large numbers of Defense Department contractors.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 22 May 2017, 18:24

South wrote:Good morning Carl,

True, however, ...

WWI and WWII had conscription, the draft.

Today, the potential military labor pool is comprised of volunteers.

Thus, ... and I realize I'm partly steering the thread off topic ... the large numbers of Defense Department contractors.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia
The underlying point there is standards adjust to needs. The present US military has both the need and luxury of only accepting the highest category recruits. It was much the same during the initial mobilization of 1940-41. Most of the intake at the time were where the future cadre, the company grade officers and NCOs and highest skill technicians were to be drawn from. The same logic was behind the large scale purge of the newly mobilized National Guard, Reservists, and even Regular Army 1941-42.

Back in the 1970s there was a need for top category recruits, but those were difficult to obtain through the mid 1970s. So the luxury of briefer training was not there.

South

Post by South » 22 May 2017, 19:29

Good afternoon Carl,

Well received.

I understand.......conceding I'm not knowledgeable about current US military needs.

Much contractor skilled military labor obtained from Virginal locales.

~Bob
eastern Virginia

Chris S.

Post by Chris S. » 28 Jun 2017, 19:38

Why did you not just start a thread and call it 'I am 50 and can do burpees'? You are clearly dying to tell someone.

If you are interested in history and not admiring your physique during the fast fading days of your late middle age - before you become elderly and no one gives a shit how many burpees you used to be able to do - you will find that all armies throughout history train in similar ways to develop a functional level of military fitness.

As for caloric intake - it has always been understood. You cannot confuse bro science and building mass with feeding an army.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 02 Jul 2017, 18:43

No, not at all and you are wrong on all counts. Too bad for you and I am happy I do not emulate your twisted thinking. Enjoy your life, bro.

Reminds me of something I read years ago..until the advent of the Internet one never knew how many disaffected people there were.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 03 Jul 2017, 01:12

Chris S. -- Nobody cares how you feel about the topic either. Please try to bring your future posts into compliance with the forum rules on civility -- the administration here strongly discourages taunting.

paulrward

Post by paulrward » 07 Jul 2017, 16:18

Hello all ;

An interesting artical on the U.S. Army which gives some historical information :

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-armys ... rds-2016-7

Respectfully ;

Paul R. Ward

P.S. - A person who has maintained their physical fitness into their 50s is not to be mocked,
but rather to be admired and respected.
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices that are banned, are voices who cannot share information....
Discussions that are silenced, are discussions that will occur elsewhere !

Return to “USA 1919-1945”