'Prescribed loads' for Inf ammunition

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Gary Kennedy

'Prescribed loads' for Inf ammunition

Post by Gary Kennedy » 19 Jan 2018, 21:57

I've been tootling around the subject of ammunition issue for the infantry units of various nations on and off for a while now. I've got some decent info for British, German and Red Army units, but much less for US.

I understand there is a difference in US terminology, but after searching through some old posts on here I reckon that 'prescribed loads' is what I'm interested in, and is roughly comparable to the British 'on man or with gun'. The US FM101-10 includes a table at page 173 listing the 'ammunition allowance for mobilization' broken down into 'on the individual', 'with weapon on prime mover, etc' and on various Trains. It also lists the percentage of ammunition by ball, tracer, AP and HE where appropriate. Unfortunately it is dated 19th November 1940, so does not take into account weapons appearing later (2.36-in rocket launcher, 57-mm gun, etc.), nor reflect any changes made in light of wartime experience.

Is there a readily available source that lists the very basic amount of ammunition expected to be available for Infantry units in the 1943-45 period, for small arms, mortars and atk guns?

Cheers,

Gary

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: 'Prescribed loads' for Inf ammunition

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 21 Jan 2018, 06:58

Try locating the same pub in later editions. Hyperwar web site may be a help too.

firstflabn

Re: 'Prescribed loads' for Inf ammunition

Post by firstflabn » 21 Jan 2018, 17:47

The answer is no, there is no one source for US Army basic loads. The table mentioned clearly states the figures are for mobilization, not combat.

Basic loads were determined in-theater, not by the WD.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”