Where can I find digital TO&E of US Army in WWII ?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
SergeantMitchell

Where can I find digital TO&E of US Army in WWII ?

Post by SergeantMitchell » 12 Dec 2019, 03:02

Hi guys,I wonder is there any website where I can find or buy digital TO&E of US Army in WWII ? There is some website I know from which one can obtain summary of the TO&E of WWII US Army,such as militaryresearch,but What I want to find is the scans of the oringinal TO&Es,and I'm not in the USA so I can not buy the photocopies of TO&E from militaryresearch.

anyone wo can help me?or is there any friends possess digital TO&E and are willing to offer them ? I can pay for them via PayPal.Thanks a lot !

The table highly wanted (mainly that of infantry) :
7-17 Infantry Rifle Company
7-15Infantry Battalion
7-11Infantry Regiment

Gary Kennedy

Re: Where can I find digital TO&E of US Army in WWII ?

Post by Gary Kennedy » 12 Dec 2019, 14:54

As this is my area of interest as well, I think I can safely say there's no online site you can currently go to and download scans/copies of the original Tables of Organization and Equipment. There are probably a few you can find here and there, but not for the Infantry Regiment that I've ever found, and I have looked as well.

Military Research Service does indeed have copies of the original documentation, rather than reproductions. If you've not tried it already, it may be worth an email to the owner (John Thatcher) to see if there's any way you could arrange to pay for and receive his copies electronically.

Re your list above, and I apologise if you already know this, but 7-17 is the only one of those three that's a detailed T/O&E; 7-15 and 7-11 are both summary tables, so literally just give an outline of units with the Battalion/Regiment, with their overall totals of personnel, weapons and transport.

It would also be helpful if you could specify the dates you're interested in, as 7-11 and subordinate T/Os covering the war years were issued in Oct40, Apr42, Jul43 and Feb44, and finally Jun45 (the latter planned for the invasion of Imperial Japan). The Oct40 and Apr42 tables just cover organization, not equipment, which were detailed on separate T/E (tables of equipment) that I've not seen personally. The Jul43 onwards are the combined T/O&E format, and the equipment sections can run to 20 pages, so you are talking about a lot of paper to fill out the details for an Infantry Regiment.

Gary

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 12 Dec 2019, 15:46

The Center of Military History doesn't have this?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 12 Dec 2019, 17:12

Well yes, and no...

First thing, and assuming you're referring to Carlisle Barracks, is they are now the Army Heritage Foundation, though I still think of them as the US Army Military History Institute. So if we are talking about the same place, then yes, they do have Tables of Organization, however they do have gaps in their collection, as I found out over the last year or so.

They have a Researcher for Hire service, which is available to non-US residents (I'm in the UK), and they can take credit card payment now, and also send items by email as well as post. Current costs are $0.50 per page for black and white images, and $0.80 for colour. Research costs are separate and are $35.00 per hour (they seem to be happy to split that into half hours as well).

If you have a limited request, they may send you items for free, the issue is defining what counts as limited. Years back I was able to get quite a few documents without using the researcher for hire service, probably at a similar price per page. It can be slow, it can be frustrating, and if you ask them to look for something they can't find, you'll still incur the cost for the search.

Still, easy than NARA, which I tried as well, and felt like looking for life on Mars by shouting at it and waiting for a reply...

Gary

SergeantMitchell

Post by SergeantMitchell » 13 Dec 2019, 02:58

Gary Kennedy wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 14:54
As this is my area of interest as well, I think I can safely say there's no online site you can currently go to and download scans/copies of the original Tables of Organization and Equipment. There are probably a few you can find here and there, but not for the Infantry Regiment that I've ever found, and I have looked as well.

Military Research Service does indeed have copies of the original documentation, rather than reproductions. If you've not tried it already, it may be worth an email to the owner (John Thatcher) to see if there's any way you could arrange to pay for and receive his copies electronically.

Re your list above, and I apologise if you already know this, but 7-17 is the only one of those three that's a detailed T/O&E; 7-15 and 7-11 are both summary tables, so literally just give an outline of units with the Battalion/Regiment, with their overall totals of personnel, weapons and transport.

It would also be helpful if you could specify the dates you're interested in, as 7-11 and subordinate T/Os covering the war years were issued in Oct40, Apr42, Jul43 and Feb44, and finally Jun45 (the latter planned for the invasion of Imperial Japan). The Oct40 and Apr42 tables just cover organization, not equipment, which were detailed on separate T/E (tables of equipment) that I've not seen personally. The Jul43 onwards are the combined T/O&E format, and the equipment sections can run to 20 pages, so you are talking about a lot of paper to fill out the details for an Infantry Regiment.

Gary
to Gary Kennedy :
thanks for your information,I'm really grateful ! I want both the T&O or TO&E,it does't matter.Actually,as a enthusiast of the military organization,I want to find as more T&O and TO&E as I can.

By the way,I found that you are the founder of the bayonetstrength website,I just found this especially wonderful site two or three days ago,tanks again for your effort ! Can I get some electronical copies T&O/TO&E from you ? I can pay for that via PayPal,and I can pay several times the price of the Military Research Service .

Hope for reply ,thanks .

Return to “USA 1919-1945”