Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Geoffrey Cooke
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: 11 Dec 2020 07:08
Location: Texas

Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Geoffrey Cooke » 21 Jul 2022 22:42

What are the casualty figures for the 17th Airborne Division for January 1945?

Richard Anderson
Member
Posts: 6232
Joined: 01 Jan 2016 21:21
Location: Bremerton, Washington

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Richard Anderson » 26 Jul 2022 23:46

Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
21 Jul 2022 22:42
What are the casualty figures for the 17th Airborne Division for January 1945?
Don't have it for all of January, but 3-16 January was 239 KIA, 1,042 WIA, and 1,199 MIA.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Geoffrey Cooke
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: 11 Dec 2020 07:08
Location: Texas

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Geoffrey Cooke » 26 Jul 2022 23:59

Richard Anderson wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:46
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
21 Jul 2022 22:42
What are the casualty figures for the 17th Airborne Division for January 1945?
Don't have it for all of January, but 3-16 January was 239 KIA, 1,042 WIA, and 1,199 MIA.
Thanks. I must say, that’s ALOT of MIA

Richard Anderson
Member
Posts: 6232
Joined: 01 Jan 2016 21:21
Location: Bremerton, Washington

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Richard Anderson » 27 Jul 2022 00:23

Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:59
Richard Anderson wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:46
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
21 Jul 2022 22:42
What are the casualty figures for the 17th Airborne Division for January 1945?
Don't have it for all of January, but 3-16 January was 239 KIA, 1,042 WIA, and 1,199 MIA.
Thanks. I must say, that’s ALOT of MIA
Yeah, but most of them were probably RTD or reclassified as KIA or WIA. For the Ardennes Campaign, i.e. 16 December 1944-25 January 1945, the losses were recorded as 457 Battle Deaths, 376 KIA, 2,633 WIA, 305 Captured, and 35 MIA.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Geoffrey Cooke
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: 11 Dec 2020 07:08
Location: Texas

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Geoffrey Cooke » 04 Dec 2022 13:49

Richard Anderson wrote:
27 Jul 2022 00:23
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:59
Richard Anderson wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:46
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
21 Jul 2022 22:42
What are the casualty figures for the 17th Airborne Division for January 1945?
Don't have it for all of January, but 3-16 January was 239 KIA, 1,042 WIA, and 1,199 MIA.
Thanks. I must say, that’s ALOT of MIA
Yeah, but most of them were probably RTD or reclassified as KIA or WIA. For the Ardennes Campaign, i.e. 16 December 1944-25 January 1945, the losses were recorded as 457 Battle Deaths, 376 KIA, 2,633 WIA, 305 Captured, and 35 MIA.
Is this from the Thompson study we were discussing?

Richard Anderson
Member
Posts: 6232
Joined: 01 Jan 2016 21:21
Location: Bremerton, Washington

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Richard Anderson » 04 Dec 2022 17:21

Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
04 Dec 2022 13:49
Richard Anderson wrote:
27 Jul 2022 00:23
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:59
Richard Anderson wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:46
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
21 Jul 2022 22:42
What are the casualty figures for the 17th Airborne Division for January 1945?
Don't have it for all of January, but 3-16 January was 239 KIA, 1,042 WIA, and 1,199 MIA.
Thanks. I must say, that’s ALOT of MIA
Yeah, but most of them were probably RTD or reclassified as KIA or WIA. For the Ardennes Campaign, i.e. 16 December 1944-25 January 1945, the losses were recorded as 457 Battle Deaths, 376 KIA, 2,633 WIA, 305 Captured, and 35 MIA.
Is this from the Thompson study we were discussing?
Yes.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Stoat Coat
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: 13 Nov 2022 21:39
Location: Way down south in Dixie

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Stoat Coat » 04 Dec 2022 18:46

Very high losses considering it was only involved from January 3 onward and missed the December fighting. Maybe higher than even the losses of the 82d and 101st AB Divisions

Stoat Coat
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: 13 Nov 2022 21:39
Location: Way down south in Dixie

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Stoat Coat » 05 Dec 2022 16:58

Richard Anderson wrote:
04 Dec 2022 17:21
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
04 Dec 2022 13:49
Richard Anderson wrote:
27 Jul 2022 00:23
Geoffrey Cooke wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:59
Richard Anderson wrote:
26 Jul 2022 23:46


Don't have it for all of January, but 3-16 January was 239 KIA, 1,042 WIA, and 1,199 MIA.
Thanks. I must say, that’s ALOT of MIA
Yeah, but most of them were probably RTD or reclassified as KIA or WIA. For the Ardennes Campaign, i.e. 16 December 1944-25 January 1945, the losses were recorded as 457 Battle Deaths, 376 KIA, 2,633 WIA, 305 Captured, and 35 MIA.
Is this from the Thompson study we were discussing?
Yes.
Did any division suffer 1,000+ battle deaths in the “Ardennes-Alsace Campaign”? It was common for pacific battles like Peleliu, Saipan, Okinawa and Iwo Jima

Richard Anderson
Member
Posts: 6232
Joined: 01 Jan 2016 21:21
Location: Bremerton, Washington

Re: Casualties of 17th Airborne Div

Post by Richard Anderson » 05 Dec 2022 18:19

Stoat Coat wrote:
05 Dec 2022 16:58
Did any division suffer 1,000+ battle deaths in the “Ardennes-Alsace Campaign”? It was common for pacific battles like Peleliu, Saipan, Okinawa and Iwo Jima
No, the highest was the 101st with 688 followed by the 106th with 685,
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Return to “USA 1919-1945”