US Navy Battleships

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
mescal

US Navy Battleships

Post by mescal » 02 Mar 2009 10:25

Hello,

Below is the same kind of availability diagram than those I did earlier for the cruisers.
Alaska & Guam are in this chart despite not being BBs - but to be rigorous I would have had to do one separate sheet for only two ships ....

The color code is still the same :
Green : available to Pacific Fleet
Light Green : available to Atlantic Fleet
Red : Sunk
Orange : Combat damage
Yellow : Noncombat damage
Light Blue : Shakedown & Training
Purple : under repair/refit/overhaul ... = unavailable
Brown : withdrawn from active service
Grey : building
US_BB_1.jpg
US_BB_2.jpg

Please let me know of any mistake you could identify here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivier

mescal

Re: US Navy Battleships

Post by mescal » 04 Mar 2009 17:43

Here is a more synthetic presentation of the unavailability of US BBs (and CBs).

Note that the "hits taken" includes accidents (collisions), but only those that led to at least 1 month unavailability are seen here.
The "total" column does not count the month of building and the months after the sinking of a ship.
The percent of time unavailable for Arizona & Oklahoma is not computed as it does not make sense (it's either 0% or 100%, depending on how you compute it).
US_BB_nb_1.jpg
The 22% value for the overall percentage of unavailability is roughly equivalent to the one computed for RN (24%).
However, there is a distinct pattern for USN : all of the recent BBs are below this value. California and West Virginia account for 27% of the overall unavailability (and they represent less than 4% of the grand total of months of active service by the US BBs).

As for the RN, I will try to make a more detailed analysis (by year & ship class or type (WW1-era vs WW2-era BBs).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivier

Return to “USA 1919-1945”