225th US Ammunition Renovation Company

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Jeroen

225th US Ammunition Renovation Company

Post by Jeroen » 25 Jan 2003, 16:46

Has anyone information about this unit? To which units was this company attached? and what is a "Ammunition Renovation Company"?

Greetings,

Jeroen

Jack Nisley

225th Ammunition Renovation Company

Post by Jack Nisley » 28 Jan 2003, 21:52

Jeroen,

Where/how/what did you hear about this unit? Not expert, but would expect it to be something like 225th Ordnance Company, and the ammo renovation could be its specific function. Let me know and I'll see if I can find anything.

Paul Timms

Bomb Renovation

Post by Paul Timms » 30 Jan 2003, 21:12

I used to carry out maintenance at a bomb renovation plant for USAF at RAF Welford. Basically there was a plant to shot blast and re-spray bombs (mainly 1000 pdrs i think) . Lets face it, who would want to be hit by a rusty bomb !! At the time (1980's) there were two other plants, one in the Philipines and one in Germany. Could your unit be a WWII equivalent??

Paul

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » 01 Feb 2003, 21:44

I've received the following email:
Wonderful website! I have been looking for this kind of information on and off for the last 2 years. Thank you.

Specifically I am trying to find out what unit, battalion or army the 225th Ammunition Renovation Company was a part of. Do you have any information on this Company? I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.
I'm not very 'into' companies at all... so any information would we appreciated...

Greetings,

Jeroen

nixonman

Re: 225th US Ammunition Renovation Company

Post by nixonman » 06 Feb 2018, 03:31

My grandfather served in the unit. According to his "report of separation" it was abbreviated "225th ORD AMMUNITION RENOVATING CO." His MOS was ammunition renovator.

firstflabn

Post by firstflabn » 06 Feb 2018, 06:54

I have an ETO order of battle compiled just after V-E Day. As it so happens, the ETO had two such companies - one of which was the 225th. This OOB excludes USAAF units, so I would guess they renovated artillery ammo.

I would contact these folks to ask about a unit history:

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/forms ... stomer.cfm

They sent me a brief history of my uncle's artillery battalion with very basic info on significant dates and locations. If you want more details, you could get ask NARA to send you a list of what they have.

Here's a little on organization and duties (p. 8-9):

https://archive.org/stream/Fm9-5-nsia/F ... renovation

Good luck.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 12 Feb 2018, 02:15

The doc describing the company makes it clear, they were repacking damaged ammunition shipments. & also involved in salvaging French & German ammunition scattered about. The US did stand up a couple of battalions of captured artillery, originally for intelligence evaluation. Its possible this company was collecting and preparing the ammunition for these battalions.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”