What did John "Slew" McCain sound like?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
scotisle

What did John "Slew" McCain sound like?

Post by scotisle » 30 Mar 2009, 19:44

I am editing a documentary on the sinking of the USS Princeton on October 24, 1944.

Independence-class light carriers got a big push to be built in 1942 from Captain John S. "Slew" McCain, grandfather of Senator John S. McCain, when he was in command of the USS Ranger. He wrote a paper about how light carriers should be built for the coming Pacific War.

I have some dialogue written for someone to read, but I don't know what he sounded like. He grew up in Mississippi, so I'm assuming he had at least a slight southern accent. For those in the know, Mississippi has its own dialect, different from even nearby Louisiana. But in his world travels, McCain may have lost that accent.

To be clear, I am not looking for soundbytes of Senator McCain, but his grandfather. I've checked the National Archives, Fighting Lady (1944) and the Prelinger Archives.

Thanks so much!

Adam Carr

Re: What did John "Slew" McCain sound like?

Post by Adam Carr » 01 Apr 2009, 09:42

Why don't you ask Roberta McCain?

scotisle

Post by scotisle » 01 Apr 2009, 13:17

I would if I knew her. :-) I've sent several preview copies to John McCain's office, but each time he gets a new media relations person by the time the DVD clears the post office (scanning for anthrax and bombs, you know) and I have to start all over again. Most congressional staff have packages sent home now to avoid the security delay, so every time somebody quits, I have to play phone tag with the new person and start all over again. McCain himself said he would help with the DVD when I met him in 2003 but I've never been able to get past his ever-changing entourage.

And yes, I left him alone during the Presidential campaign. This project has been going on for years.

Thanks
Jason

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 29 May 2023, 04:29

Adam Carr wrote:
01 Apr 2009, 09:42
Why don't you ask Roberta McCain?
Roberta McCain passed away in October 2020.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”