Post War Train Collision - Assling, Germany(07/16/1945)

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
rosslindberg@comcast.net

Post War Train Collision - Assling, Germany(07/16/1945)

Post by rosslindberg@comcast.net » 13 Nov 2009 06:46

Does any former US Army Personnel or German Residents remember the tragic train wreck in Assling, Germany that occurred on July 16, 1945? My Father, Edward Gilbert Lindberg was a Sgt/Medic (9th Air Defence) who was a first responder to this train wreck where he saved many lives. However, sadly, there were 96 German POWs and 6 US Army Personnel were killed that day. My father told me an amazing story of a poor German Soldier that could not be saved, but assisted this man with prayers just before he died in my father's arms. I now believe I have the Hitler youth pin he had obtained from this Soldier (Otto Brune - died 07/16/1945).

The Grave site for these returning German POWs can be found in WWII Memorial place in Oberelkofen

Here are some links/photos of the memorial & graves sites below:

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/defau ... gid=2&st=2[/url]

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2Q ... ng_Germany

Please provide any additional information regarding this incident if available.

-Thanks, Ross

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
Host - For sale section

Re: Post War Train Collision - Assling, Germany(07/16/1945)

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 03 Jan 2010 01:24

Bored tonight, just way to cold to do anything, and am surfing old posts.
Do,t know the answer, but am always bummed out when reading of accidents after the war killing ex-soldiers.What a waste!!!

rosslindberg@comcast.net

Post by rosslindberg@comcast.net » 16 Feb 2010 21:47

This was one of the worst train wrecks in Germany's history. A very unfortunate incident. I would very much like to visit the grave site in Oberelkofen if I ever get a the opportunity to visit Germany.

ladyofthelake

Post by ladyofthelake » 03 Sep 2010 00:54

I just came upon your post. My father was in the US Army during WWII. He was in the 65th armored infantry battalion in the 20th armored division and was in a train wreck in Germany in 1945. He wanted to find some information on the train wreck, but has not been able to. I just happend to find this post. My father recalls that 6 US Army personnel were killed in the wreck that he was in. And he was buried alive and only found because his finger was spotted sticking out of the rubble. He was transferred to a hospital with a back injury for a month before being sent home. The train he was on was heading troops back to the US for them to be sent to the Pacific.

If you know of anymore info, my father would love to hear it. He is also seeking confirmation as to if this was the wreck he was in. I have not been able to locate any other wreck. The troops were being moved in box cars called 40 and 8's. He recalls that it was front page news in the Stars and Stripes, but the archives only seem to be available on-line starting in 1948.

Karen

murx

Post by murx » 18 Sep 2010 23:53

I found this o the site of fas of old lokomives. The text says:

DRW-E94- 159 V2.0
(renark: the type of the engine)

Model range E94 of the German Reichsban West, epoque 3, E 94 - 159

Dring the post war chaos happened the worst accident, an E 94 was involved. A train crowded with soon-to-be released German POWs was stopped on open track between Assling and Ostermuenchen caused by an engine failure of the trail engine*. Unluckily the US transport officer on duty in the railway control centre Assling deblocked the apron for a following freight train loaded with US tanks and having an E 94 159 as engine. That train rammed the broken down train from behind and destroyed most of the wooden person transport waggons. Aprox. 110 persons died on the scene. Despite heavy damages the E94 was repaired and re established into service with US military colouring in September 1945.

(they seem to have their secific focus on the engines :roll: )

*trail engine:those locomotives existed very long after war. We called them "crocodiles". In areas with heavy incline one was used for "pushing" from the back. E.g. in "Geislingen/Steige" was always one on guard, sometimes even to push the German high tech ICE trains. Therefore "trail" and "push" engine
** I 'm a M.D in ICU & Emergency Medicine. I saw some thousand people dying. To my experience very few people are afraid of dying but ALL are more than afraid of being alone when the time has come. Greetings to your father, for me he is a heroe.He did a very good thing.

I attach the article after having solved the following problem, a message I receive from the server: [i]The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 800 pixels wide and 2000 pixels high. The submitted image is 827 pixels wide and 490 pixels high.[/i];

never say Germans are bureaucratic.
ASSINGté.pdf

the link is: http://www.thetrain.de/de/downloadarea/ ... ureihe-94/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grassi

Post by grassi » 05 Nov 2010 01:15

Memorial plate near Elkhofen, July 2010.

Best regards

grassi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rosslindberg@comcast.net

Post by rosslindberg@comcast.net » 13 Nov 2010 00:55

I found a very good accounting of the Train Wreck incident on July 16, 1945 near Assling, Germany. It's from "Serving the Pieces: The 242nd Field Artillery Battalion WWII" By Edward V. Walsh.
URL:
http://books.google.com/books?id=foxYYi ... ng&f=false

Karen: I believe this was the train wreck your Father was involved since he was part of an armored unit and the US Train was pulling Sherman tanks.

This incident greatly affected my Father and he said it was one of the worst things he ever witnessed and had to attend to as a Medic. As mentioned in the "Serving the Pieces: The 242nd Field Artillery Battalion WWI" exert, this accident was horrific with both German and American Personnel scrambling to pull victims from the wreckage. I'm very proud of my Father's actions that night/day and his attention to the dying. I strongly feel there are spiritual bonds between that German Soldier (Otto Brune) and my Father since he has now passed on. In honor of Edward G. Lindberg (Sgt/Medic - 9th Air Defense - 06/19/1912 - 05/21/2007). I sincerely hope their souls are at rest now.

rosslindberg@comcast.net

Post by rosslindberg@comcast.net » 17 Jun 2011 16:02

I was able to obtain some photos taken by Edward V. Walsh from the 242nd Field Artillery Battalion. Special thanks to Edward's daughter who provided me some very good photos her father took shortly after the Assling train wreck occurred.
I highly recommend "Serving the Pieces: The 242nd Field Artillery Battalion WWI" by Edward V. Walsh. This is absolutely the best accounting from a Soldier's perspective of action the 242nd Field Artillery Battalion experienced in World War 2.
Serving the Pieces CD 367.jpg
Serving the Pieces CD 370.jpg
Serving the Pieces CD 373.jpg

Kencasimir

Post by Kencasimir » 08 Jul 2013 16:35

My grandfather was one of the 6 U.S. Soldiers killed in this train collision. His name was PFC Paul F. Griessmer, Jr. From what I understand he was due to fly back to America the following day. In Chicago, his wife was 8 1/2 monthes pregnant with their first child. She had recently spoken with him and gotten the exciting news that he was coming home; that the war was over. Extremely tragic.

Anyone interested in corresponding further about this tragedy can contact me at Kencasimir@gmail.com

Kencasimir

Post by Kencasimir » 16 Nov 2015 15:16

It is worth noting that a number of posts on this site, including my original post from a couple years ago, is actually in regards to a different train wreck that occurred 3 days earlier (7/13/45) outside Weingarten (not Assling). The wreck from 7/13/45 involved members of the 20th armored, 65th infantry, and resulted in the casualties of 6 men: James J. O'Brien, Michael T Buzek, Robert O. Davis, Paul F Griessmer, Albert J Piazza, and Vernon W Schubert.

If you have come across these messages looking for info on this crash, you can email me at kencasimir@gmail.com, and I can provide you with much info on the crash. There is also a public facebook group called "20th Armored Division in World War II" which has a plethora of info. Tell them Ken sent you!

LOBrien12

Post by LOBrien12 » 01 Jan 2021 22:02

ladyofthelake wrote:
03 Sep 2010 00:54
I just came upon your post. My father was in the US Army during WWII. He was in the 65th armored infantry battalion in the 20th armored division and was in a train wreck in Germany in 1945. He wanted to find some information on the train wreck, but has not been able to. I just happend to find this post. My father recalls that 6 US Army personnel were killed in the wreck that he was in. And he was buried alive and only found because his finger was spotted sticking out of the rubble. He was transferred to a hospital with a back injury for a month before being sent home. The train he was on was heading troops back to the US for them to be sent to the Pacific.

If you know of anymore info, my father would love to hear it. He is also seeking confirmation as to if this was the wreck he was in. I have not been able to locate any other wreck. The troops were being moved in box cars called 40 and 8's. He recalls that it was front page news in the Stars and Stripes, but the archives only seem to be available on-line starting in 1948.

Karen
Karen,

My father was part of the same unit and was on the same train as your father. The train accident was on July 13, 1945 near Weingarten. The 20th Armored infantry Division has a facebook page where you will find more information about this collision. Unfortunately, it was not an accident, but was sabotage by a German officer named August Lindenmeyer that was arrested thereafter.

Larry O'Brien, New Freedom, PA

Return to “USA 1919-1945”