Thompson & Greese Gun

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
rcocean

Re: Thompson & Greese Gun

Post by rcocean » 14 Apr 2021, 16:38

YAN wrote:
13 Apr 2012, 17:44
Thanks TH for the book info.

I think that the standard U.S. Infantry Platoon with its three BARs and up to 35+ M1 Rifles could lay down a pretty good volume of fire, don’t forget nothing is bolt action apart from the odd M.1903 of course, the Japanese had no chance trying to mass charge the Marines, some Marine Sections had up to three BARs, and I am not even adding the Weapons Platoon to this list.

Yan.
Yes, plus each US army Rifle company had two .30 cal medium machine guns in the heavy weapons platoon. The US made over 1 million Thompsons and Grease Guns, so someone was using them. why it wasn't made "organic" and mentioned in the T&OE I dunno.
Maybe, NCOs, Officers, etc. were given a choice of a M1 Carbine or a SMG.

LineDoggie

Re: Thompson & Greese Gun

Post by LineDoggie » 18 Apr 2021, 00:42

Simply put EVERY US Tank, Tank Destroyer, etc, came std overseas with a Thompson M1/M1A1/M1928A1 or M3 for crew close in defense. To the end of the M3's days in the 1990's it was an AFV drivers weapon.

So thats some of the use
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Return to “USA 1919-1945”