US Marines

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
MadJim

Re: The Red Thin Line

Post by MadJim » 01 May 2002, 01:38

Mito wrote:In that movie, were those soldiers marine or regular army?
I guess they were regular soldiers, because they didn't have any camouflage.

Did the US army also engaged in amphibious landings as did the Marines?

Thank you.

:|
Yes, US Army Troops were given amphibous training. Whole divisions were trained that way - but with few exceptions US Army units did not have special amphibious equipment assigned as part of their TO&E. :mrgreen:

Raf

Re: US Marines

Post by Raf » 14 May 2002, 16:28

Zapfenstreich wrote:I was told by an ex-Marine I knew (he has since passed away) that there were several Marine Officers on the beaches during the Normandy invasion acting as fire direction control for the off-shore ship batteries.
Z
I could be wrong, but weren't they Navy personal ?

Raf

Post by Raf » 14 May 2002, 16:28

Zapfenstreich wrote:I was told by an ex-Marine I knew (he has since passed away) that there were several Marine Officers on the beaches during the Normandy invasion acting as fire direction control for the off-shore ship batteries.
Z

JLEES

Marines In WWII ETO

Post by JLEES » 20 May 2002, 04:01

I've heard that a small number of US Marines were landed from a US Naval vessel on a small island south of France in 1943/44, with other types of Allied troops. Although the island (possibly Corsica) was abandoned by the Germans they were able to capture an enemy flag. Someone told me the Nazi flag is now displayed in some USMC museum in the USA.
James

Y Ddraig Goch

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 20 May 2002, 15:37

Cheers
/ Mike

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Mar 2020, 18:24

Y Ddraig Goch wrote:
25 Apr 2002, 11:14
Did any US Marines serve in the ETO?

I don't think they did but I just want to make sure. ...
They were from ships companies mostly. This was a example
JLEES wrote:
20 May 2002, 04:01
I've heard that a small number of US Marines were landed from a US Naval vessel on a small island south of France in 1943/44, with other types of Allied troops. Although the island (possibly Corsica) was abandoned by the Germans they were able to capture an enemy flag. Someone told me the Nazi flag is now displayed in some USMC museum in the USA.
James
There were a couple other incidents.

There were some Marine officers sent from the PTO in early 1944 to convey amphibious experience from the PTO. A number of US Army officers with amphibious experience from the PTO were also sent. Ironically most of the US Army units with amphibious or combat beach assault experience were left in the MTO, Only the 1st ID & a few support battalions provided veteran landing experience for Op NEPTUNE on 6th June.
MadJim wrote:
30 Apr 2002, 05:37
... and 1st Marine Brigade was sent to garrison Iceland (releived the British 49th Inf Division) until relieved by, I believe the 6th Us Infantry Divison. ...
The Brigade was drawn from a regiment and attachments of the 3rd Marine Division based on the west coast of the US. It was part of a USN contingent that include patrol aircraft & assorted logistics and communications units. When Hitler found out the US was occupying Iceland, landing in June 1941, he briefly discussed a DoW on the US then dropped it.

There was a plan kept up to date for occupying the Portuguese Azores, Cannary Islands, & Cape Verde Islands if necessary. That could have included Marines if executed before April 1942.

In latter 1940 the USN formed 'Amphibious Forces Atlantic Fleet' This, as per prewar plans was a combined USN/Army unit. Initially the landing force included the 1 Marine Div & the Army 1st Div plus USN ships and support units, Later the Army 9th Div trained with this force, and in the spring of 1942 the Army 3rd Div with previous amphib training was moved from the west to the east coast & was available to the AFAF. AFAF spent 1941 & through March 1942 training for contingency operations around the Atlantic Rim. Technically the USN had the capability to land a corps size unit in the Atlantic region.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Mar 2020, 19:16

Raf wrote:
14 May 2002, 16:28
Z
Strictly speaking the Marines were Navy personnel. Not a separate service then. Just a group within the Navy, like aviation. Today Navy ROTC and Annapolis cadets have the option of taking commissions as Marine officers. 10-15% of Marine officers are drawn from that group. It was larger then. It was also more common for Navy or Marine enlisted to cross over then. Also the Navy supplies the entire medical establishment for the Marines.

The spotting teams on the beach & the liaison sections in the navy HQ and gunnery departments on the ships were mixed Army Navy personnel. Usually Navy officers & Army enlisted as radio operators and assistants in the spotting teams and Army officers aboard the ships or on the command staff.

The USN did not have enough ship carried spotter planes for the entire NEPTUNE landing operation. So, the Army also flew spotter planes. They used old Spitfires borrowed from the RAF & operated in pairs.

Camp Upshur

Re: US Marine

Post by Camp Upshur » 01 May 2020, 08:39

Admiral Thomas Moorer (fmr CNO, fmr Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff) as a Commander briefed General George C Marshall, quoted here:

Army Chief of Staff General George Marshall stood up and walked out of the briefing: "That's the end of this briefing. As long as I'm in charge there'll never be a Marine in Europe." (Wikipedia Project Danny)

Hey Carl

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: US Marine

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 03 May 2020, 19:23

Camp Upshur wrote:
01 May 2020, 08:39
Admiral Thomas Moorer (fmr CNO, fmr Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff) as a Commander briefed General George C Marshall, quoted here:

Army Chief of Staff General George Marshall stood up and walked out of the briefing: "That's the end of this briefing. As long as I'm in charge there'll never be a Marine in Europe." (Wikipedia Project Danny)

Hey Carl
What was the date of this meeting/statement?

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 04 May 2020, 03:37

By the time of Normandy the US Army had successfully landed in North Africa, Sicily, Italy (Salerno and Anzio), New Guinea, Attu and Kiska, New Georgia, Biak, Aitape, The Admiralties, The Russells, Makin, Gilberts and Marshall islands, Kwajalein, Eniwetok, AND was running the Assault Training Center at Woolacombe UK (the 156th Inf Rgt was the resident cadre). There honestly was no need for "Marine expertise" and the ONLY USMC officer on June 6th to land was on Admiral Moons staff. he landed at 1115 on Utah beach to observe.
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 04 May 2020, 03:41

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 19:16

The USN did not have enough ship carried spotter planes for the entire NEPTUNE landing operation. So, the Army also flew spotter planes. They used old Spitfires borrowed from the RAF & operated in pairs.
NOT Army, USN

VCS-7 used Mk Vb's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOS-7
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 04 May 2020, 04:07

I see. Balikoski in 'OMAHA Beach' refere to the Spitfire equipped observation unit, but does not identify it. I'm confused & need to search out the account by a NGF observer flying a Spitfire who identified himself as a Army Sergeant. Elsewhere I've seen references to US Army air artillery observers flying from south England airfields 6th June.

However I am still certain they were not Marine artillerymen or aviators.

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 04 May 2020, 15:00

My understanding was that the Spitfires were flown by the Naval pilots from the units normally assigned to fly the catapult float planes assigned to the battleships and cruisers of the invasion force. They and their aircraft were put ashore for the invasion. They were already trained for such missions and North Africa and Sicily had already proven the lack of survivability of the float planes.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 05 May 2020, 05:31

ROLAND1369 wrote:
04 May 2020, 15:00
... and North Africa and Sicily had already proven the lack of survivability of the float planes.
The USN did not much like having float planes around in combat anyway. Preferred practice was to get rid of them before combat to reduce fire hazard and deck clutter. Unlike the Japanese who leaned heavily on them for tactical reconnaissance when seeking surface action. The USN used them as utility vehicles, & general scouting, or ASW patrol. They used them in battle when they thought it necessary but the usual preference was to have them elsewhere during surface actions.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”