First lady booed

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
James A Pratt III

First lady booed

Post by James A Pratt III » 19 Jun 2017, 14:46

Some years ago I read that then first lady Eleanor Roosevelt got boooed by a Battalion on Marines after giving a speech to them. Did this incident happen? Does anyone know what unit did this and what happened as a result? thanks in advance.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: First lady booed

Post by OpanaPointer » 19 Jun 2017, 15:33

Don't know if we had any battalions there were exclusively Republican.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 19 Jun 2017, 23:17

OpanaPointer wrote:Don't know if we had any battalions there were exclusively Republican.
You don't have to be a republican to boo someone.

Pretty sure those who were extended involuntarily in october 1941 would have booed FDR himself after being screwed over.
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 19 Jun 2017, 23:56

LineDoggie wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:Don't know if we had any battalions there were exclusively Republican.
You don't have to be a republican to boo someone.
It's the way to bet, however.Image
Pretty sure those who were extended involuntarily in october 1941 would have booed FDR himself after being screwed over.
Yep, but a few weeks later they would have been back demanding to be returned to active duty.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 20 Jun 2017, 05:40

But the Marines were all volunteers, weren't they, and therefore not affected by the involuntary extension of people drafted in to the army for one year.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 21 Jun 2017, 00:03

Rob Stuart wrote:
But the Marines were all volunteers, weren't they, and therefore not affected by the involuntary extension of people drafted in to the army for one year.
Some Marines were drafted in WW2 but I meant those Draftees and Guardsmen called up in 1040 who were extended (Stop Lossed in today vernacular)
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 21 Jun 2017, 00:22

LineDoggie wrote:
Rob Stuart wrote:
Some Marines were drafted in WW2 but I meant those Draftees and Guardsmen called up in 1040 who were extended (Stop Lossed in today vernacular)
What I meant was that nobody was drafted into the Marines prior to PH, therefore if Mrs. R was ever booed while visiting a USMC unit it must not have been about the pre-PH extension of men drafted for only one year.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 21 Jun 2017, 04:20

Rob Stuart wrote:...
What I meant was that nobody was drafted into the Marines prior to PH, therefore if Mrs. R was ever booed while visiting a USMC unit it must not have been about the pre-PH extension of men drafted for only one year.
A large number of enlistment service contracts were extended by the October legislative acts. Exceptions were often men of no value or use to the military. Health, discipline, or deficient ability were frequent reasons to discharge. Many of the volunteers with 4-6 years service behind them were retained in service after their contract expiration dates due to their value to national defense.

IIRC the draftees were expected to serve two years. It was the National Guard and Army/Naval Reservists who had expected to be on active service for only a year. I'm unsure how many Navy reservists were on Active service in late 1941, but appox 250,000 National Guard and 60,000 Army Reservists had been ordered to active service. A portion of those had since been discharged as unfit for service or other reasons of national requirement. The Army by October 1941 was past the 1,500,000 man mark with the balance divided between long service volunteers and conscripts.

The legislation that extended service also dropped the previous statute that prevented drafted men and former National Guards from being deployed overseas. Imeadiatly several of the former National Guard batalions were being embarked for the Phillipines, Hawaii, Panama, Alaska, ect...

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 21 Jun 2017, 12:51

Do we have a citation for the event with the Marines?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 21 Jun 2017, 16:56

Rob Stuart wrote:
LineDoggie wrote:
Rob Stuart wrote:
AGAIN I was referring to those Army personnel extended involuntarily. you cannot even give context to when, where or what marine unit supposedly booed her, yet are wrapped around the axle about my comment.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 21 Jun 2017, 18:46

Could it have been in connection with the issuance Executive Order 8802 and its effect upon the then all-white Marines?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 21 Jun 2017, 23:45

Gorque wrote:Could it have been in connection with the issuance Executive Order 8802 and its effect upon the then all-white Marines?
That was issued June 21, 1941, but it's a possibility as a reason for booing, I imagine. I'd still like to see the when/where for this if it's available.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

reedwh52

Post by reedwh52 » 25 Jun 2017, 15:05

Perhaps it would be best to determine if and when the event occurred before trying to ascribe reasons for it. If the event never happened, then developing the alleged reasons for it are nonsense.

As an aside, in the case of Eleanor Roosevelt, it should be remembered hat she was not the typical "first lady" as we identify the term. She worked (i.e. was paid) at times as a broadcaster and was much more active in events outside the White House; things that no first lady before or since have done.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 26 Jun 2017, 00:09

reedwh52 wrote:Perhaps it would be best to determine if and when the event occurred before trying to ascribe reasons for it. If the event never happened, then developing the alleged reasons for it are nonsense.

As an aside, in the case of Eleanor Roosevelt, it should be remembered hat she was not the typical "first lady" as we identify the term. She worked (i.e. was paid) at times as a broadcaster and was much more active in events outside the White House; things that no first lady before or since have done.
Mrs. Roosevelt coal mine.JPG
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 08 Jul 2017, 21:21

Eleanor Rossevelt was big into civil rights and other liberal causes ect. She also traveled all over the US as in the above cartoon and wrote a newspaper column. All of which made the "Empress Eleanor" very unpopular with many Americans including many Democrats. She is also suposed to have have said "Sailors have the cleanest bodies and dirtiest minds. The cause of the booing incident is may have been because she said something stupid to a battalion of Marines who had seen combat. Besides being a cause of high blood pressure in Washington DC and elsewhere she was also often a real pain to her husband the president who in the last year or two of his life was a very sick man.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”