green line/marking

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
David Lehmann

green line/marking

Post by David Lehmann » 11 Jun 2003, 00:12

Hello,

Could someone explain to me the signification of this green US "marking" please ? Thanks.

David

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 11 Jun 2003, 01:10

I am guessing a squad or section leader, I have never heard or seen of any "book" Army regulations on something like this. You could be looking at something particular to a "Unit". Any other patches on this item?

It could be connected with OCS- Officer Candidate School, but my money is on a section /squad leader.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 11 Jun 2003, 01:37

No sorry I have no more info ... thanks for this first help.

David

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 11 Jun 2003, 02:11

A friend of mine sent me this pic for identification and I found exactly the same here :)

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/ot ... mlead.html

you were right, it is a combat leader identification bar.

"The Combat Leader Identification Bar was adopted during the Second World War to indicate those with direct command responsibility of a small combat unit. Originally and during the Second World War, these were a green cloth bar worn under the chevron. On April 2, 1951 a green sleeve that slipped over the shoulder loop of the coat was approved as the modern version of this insignia."

David

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 11 Jun 2003, 03:24

Silly me , of course, yes, it is true today that Platoon Leader i.e Lieutenants wear them if they are in command, also in some units, platoon sergeants and section sergeants wear them also. They are worn on the shoulder boards with the rank tacked on top of them. You don't see them in all units so it does have something to do with unit SOP as to whether they are used or not.

Oh well , I did not know it was a " real"Army regulation, I gave away all my manuals to other soldier when I left the US ARMY.

Have a good day

Return to “USA 1919-1945”