Writing a book about an American GI?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Lukens

Writing a book about an American GI?

Post by Lukens » 01 Sep 2021, 01:24

Hi all,

I've been on this forum for the good part of over a year now and it never occurred to me to raise this question until I mentioned it briefly on a response to another thread. Hopefully this is appropriate, so please forgive me if not. My question is, as historians has anyone here considered writing a book (in this instance about the US perspective)?

Secondly, the reason why I'm asking this in the first place is that someone in my family knew an American GI and over the last few years (with the help of a few others) I've accumulated significant material about him and his life, some of which took some serious digging with enough material to write a book. Something along the lines of a type of biography of his life but within the context of the greater picture of the course of the war and American politics throughout the time he was alive.

However, I do seem to get the impression that his family appear to be, at best - lukewarm to the idea and It would appear they do not show much interest or enthusiasm in the project , much to my disappointment. Leading to me shelving my idea for sometime but recently I've thought about 'resurrecting' it again.

Generally as the internet is largely a toxic place, I don't really use any other forums other than this one, hence why I'm asking this here. Would his surviving family's reservations hinder my work at all or, in your view would it not matter? He died (sadly) not that long after the war ended, but as he knew a family member of mine during the war I would like to write this book as perhaps some sort of tribute to him - In a sense I feel a personal connection with him because of it.

Its worth mentioning, his family would not be named in the book and there would be no slander in it either, quite the opposite. Regardless however, many people who have spoken to have told me "you cant libel the dead" in any case.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Re: Writing a book about an American GI?

Post by George Lepre » 01 Sep 2021, 05:31

Hi Lukens -

If this is your historical interest, you should pursue it.

There can be many reasons for the family's lukewarm response. Without seeing the work in front of them, perhaps they believe it will be some sort of salacious exposé or something.

Some years ago, I published some research on Vietnam-era military crime. Even though the topic I chose was controversial, my research and analyses were not, so it offered a modest contribution to an area of history that had been overlooked.

The decision to bring your project to a conclusion should be yours. If you have devoted many hours to research and writing, and the GI is worth remembering, it should see the light of day.

Good luck!

Best regards,

George

Lukens

Post by Lukens » 01 Sep 2021, 10:37

Thank you so much for the response & words of encouragement, I’m glad to hear it and it feels uplifting - I agree about how the book may be perceived.

I would say it’s largely unusual these days for families to be contacted about personal stories like that, especially as the war was nearly a lifetime ago. Perhaps that may be another reason why they may be somewhat lukewarm to the idea, especially given the fact that he (like so many veterans) never spoke about the war but then, like some veterans I’ve known he may of simply not felt anyone would of wanted to listen.

It’s worth mentioning from the research I’ve done he had what some may say a “good” war, there were no death marches or frontal assaults etc. Largely due to his university credentials he was allowed a more clerical role rather than being in harms way and he stayed with a family friend of mine at her house from 1943-1944. After the wars end he had some paid vacation leave and travelled back to Paris for sightseeing. I’d of thought if someone knew details about my grandfather in the war etc (especially that I didn’t know about) I would do all I can to get involved, I’m sure that would be the case for most people here.

Maybe that is also part of the problem, it’s easy to forget that most people are not historians. Besides in a world full of scammers and other schemers, a project like mine is pretty rare I’d say - maybe they think I want to make a quick buck, when I’d be content if most of the money would go to some sort of veterans charity.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 01 Sep 2021, 12:23

Good morning Lukens,

Collect data, data, and more data before you even think about writing a book...
A small example; I always thought I knew everything about our former neighbors in my northern German hometown, unfortunately not...
Our former neighbor, Herr K. received the "Deutsches Kreuz in Gold", which I learned only a few days ago, you never stop learning.

Deutsches Kreuz https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Kreuz

Herr K. passed away decades ago, and it is still not an issue among his descendants.
The children and grandchildren don't talk about it, the families don't want to have anything to do with it nowadays.

I have every understanding of that, and would never push to learn more.

I wish you all the best for your book project, and the best possible support, from whomever.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Lukens

Post by Lukens » 01 Sep 2021, 17:07

Afternoon Hans, good to hear from you and thank you for your kind words.

How did you discover that if you don’t mind me asking?

That is true, however I do feel that the perspectives of reminiscing about the war by of the Germans and the US is of course, entirely different.

I’m sure you will know this much better than I and I can merely speculate and go by my experiences of when I was in Germany as well as what I have read and heard. I think I mentioned this on another post but I feel that in Germany the war is very taboo still, like saying a terribly inappropriate word to describe someone and the feeling of guilt is rife. Many Germans see the 1950s as ‘Year Zero’, Merkel said something very similar recently about it being the ‘rebirth’ of Germany.

Whereas of course in the “Allied” countries, especially the USA it is largely glorified. Some are more happy to talk about it than others but I do feel, again this is from my experience - that the sons & daughters of WWII veterans; those from the ‘Boomer’ generation are reluctant to talk and I’ve always wondered why.

My guess is that it’s perhaps a way for them to protect their parents legacy, or simply that it is seen as rude to discuss such personal matters. Countless times I hear people from that generation expressing deep regret for not doing more to find out when their parents, particularly their fathers were alive and where they served etc.

This is something I never understood, particularly those from the USA (the ‘good’ war et al.) - sometimes when people say my father never spoke about it, I’ve been tempted to say “Did you even ask” but of course, that would be rude! I digress however.

I have details about this GI (and his company) I wish to write about that not even historians would know and nor is there any books about it (I had to dig deep at several university archives in the US). I also have pictures and details of the men this guy served with as well, I’ve been half tempted to contact the descendants of some of these other men who were in his company. I’m almost certain their families would not have any of these things, but my experiences thus far makes me feel it’s best to keep my findings to myself…

Part of me feels that had I been born elsewhere or in a different time I would of been an expert researcher at all this sort of thing. Like the guys at St.Louis, criticism aside - there is also more desire to commemorate the war in the US it would seem, given the large proportion of (well paid) jobs based around history and being a historian. In the UK where I live - being a historian is almost looked down upon…

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 01 Sep 2021, 17:35

How did you discover that if you don’t mind me asking?
Lukens, of course your question is legitimate, here is a link: https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/104 ... lon-20.htm
Source https://www.tracesofwar.com/awards/614/ ... ame&page=4

Personally, I think we should let the dead rest.

Hans

* The german last name Kreynschmidt is very common in North Germany, not to be confused with other persons.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Lukens

Post by Lukens » 16 Nov 2021, 23:15

Apologies for the “bump” but is anyone else perhaps able to offer their “two cents” also? Given the current mood of remembrance, at least in the UK/US at the moment this book has been at the forefront of my mind lately.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 17 Nov 2021, 00:05

There are a million true stories there: https://www.loc.gov/vets/
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 17 Nov 2021, 18:07

@Lukens

While appreciating your desire to write this work (my father was a GI in the war), I think one thing not in your favor is the best time to write a work like this has passed (around the 50th anniversary of the end of the war). There was a huge amount of interest back then, not so much anymore.

A major change that happened since then is that most of the generations that fought in the war have now passed on. The older generations today are the children of those who fought and still have significant interest, but I've noticed the younger generations seem to have little interest in the war. For them, it is dusty old history.

That may in part explain the tepid response of the family you contacted. Another issue is that people in the USA have been distracted by politics and consequently are focused on current issues vice history.

If I was in your shoes, I would probably not the write the work if the family seemed against it. But if their attitude is merely apathy vice active opposition, then I see no reason for you not to write the book.

Cheers

Lukens

Post by Lukens » 17 Nov 2021, 22:44

Hello Wilson thanks for the response,

Your viewpoint is what I’ve been looking for & I do agree with you , which is why I’m in two ways of bothering with this project at all.

That’s a good point raised also about the inevitable passing of generations, although In my view there is still interest in the younger generations - some of those from the boomer generation are, at least from my experience - less inclined to be interested, or perhaps - more reserved, maybe conscious of their own fathers legacies , which may suggest why this particular family was rather apathetic to my project.

Many of that generation express severe regret and even genuine anguish about “not asking about what their dads did in the war” when their fathers were alive.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”