DD Tanks

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Tom from Cornwall

Re: DD Tanks

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 25 Oct 2010, 21:28

Rich,
It remains to me a significant and salient fact that in the sector of the 116th Infantry, where the 743rd Tank Battalion was landed nearly intact, the casualties and outcome were little different from what happened to the 16th Infantry, where most of the tanks were lost before they beached. More tanks may have made a difference, but the terrain simply wasn't conducive to AVRE being effective there.
Re 116 Inf Regt casualties being similar to 16 Inf Regt casualties, do you know how long the DD tanks were delayed before landing due to being beached? Was it the first wave who suffered most?

As for the terrain on OMAHA not being conducive to AVREs, I do understand what you mean, and I know what you say about the shortage of AVREs so this may be a a bit of a pointless discussion, but couldn't it be true that an AVRE bridgelayer or a Sherman Crab would have been able to get some of the infantry over the shingle, barbed wire, anti-tank ditch, etc. Anything that helped the poor buggers get off the beach that morning would have been worth its weight in gold, surely.

Regards

Tom

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2010, 02:01

Tom from Cornwall wrote:
Re 116 Inf Regt casualties being similar to 16 Inf Regt casualties, do you know how long the DD tanks were delayed before landing due to being beached? Was it the first wave who suffered most?
The tanks or craft they were on came in anywhere from two to fifteen minutes after the first infantry touched the beach. judging from the various books on my shelf most were on the beach in ten minutes or less. Some describe tank crews backng their tanks into the water to "hide" them from the German AT fires. That sounds a bit odd, but It does reflect the numerous tanks that were hit by AT fires while on the beach.
Tom from Cornwall wrote:As for the terrain on OMAHA not being conducive to AVREs, I do understand what you mean, and I know what you say about the shortage of AVREs so this may be a a bit of a pointless discussion, but couldn't it be true that an AVRE bridgelayer or a Sherman Crab would have been able to get some of the infantry over the shingle, barbed wire, anti-tank ditch, etc. Anything that helped the poor buggers get off the beach that morning would have been worth its weight in gold, surely.

Regards

Tom
Pooring over the accounts of the infantry & engineers its clear the obstacle was the German MG & mortar fire. Those who found a break in the enemy fire did not have a lot of trouble actually getting to the bluff crest. The shingle/sea wall was seldom more than 1.5 meters high & in other places less than a meter. The Shingle was a obstacle to tracked & wheeled vehicals but not to footsoldiers. The wire beyond was not dense & the assualt teams were well equipped with wire cutters & bangalore torpedos. Some infantry described getting through the wire without either, and a few seem not to have encountered wire. The ground between the shingle & crests started as low sand dunes which increased in height until merging with the lower bluff. The dunes were covered with grass and patches of brush, as were the slope of the bluff. There are lots of photos available that show the beach, dunes, and bluffs in 1944 & today.

The second worst obstacle were mines, however the first infantry to inflitrate the dunes & bluffs found paths through them and losses to the mines were not a showstopper.

The fundamental problem was the German MG were not suppressed by the preperatory fires, or by any effective supporting fires for nearly two hours. The shingle made for a covered position beyond which it was difficult to leave. Many attempts to cut wire were driven back or killed. Some infantry found dead zones in the MG fire, others found cover from smoke of the brush fires, & possiblly some of the tanks did knock out some of the MG. At any rate small ad hoc squads & platoons were moving through the dunes by 07:00 & some had reached the bluff crest around 07:30. This number gradually increased as the German MG positions were slowly knocked out.

The tanks that made it ashore were slowly picked off. Some witnesses blame their losses on a attempt to collect them together for a assualt on one of the draws. Other witnesses or post battle analysts describe them knocked out gradually by the German AT guns. It is not clear what effect they had on German fire during the first two hours. Perhaps the 75mm guns could not penetrate the concrete of the MG & cannon bunkers?

What is clear is the tanks could not make it over the shingle wall, or past the AT guns guarding the roads off the beach. There were 16 bulldozers sent ashore to build ramps over the shingle & otherwise clear obstacles, but those were all hors combat within the hour. How other 'funnies ' would have fared is questionable to me. The shingle, dunes, & bluffs were effectively impentrable to assualt vehicals. Those required hours of work to build vehical paths across. The draws or gulleys with their paved roads were guarded by AT guns, mines, barriers, & planned targets for the artillery. Nearly all were taken by flank or rear attacks from the bluffs rather than by the direct infantry/tank assualts originally planned. Perhaps flame thrower tanks could have approached the MG & AT gun bunkers at the draws? Armored engineer vehicals could have survived long enough to make ramps over the shingle, & trample some barbed wire, but that does not sound decisive Enough LVT could have got the first wave of infantry to the shingle wall faster with fewer casualties, but that is just half the battle. None of these get decisively at the problem of dozens of unsppressed German MG enfilading the beach. That requires real fire support, not more vehicals on the bare sand between the dunes & rising tide.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Oct 2010, 02:57

Carl Schwamberger wrote:The tanks or craft they were on came in anywhere from two to fifteen minutes after the first infantry touched the beach. judging from the various books on my shelf most were on the beach in ten minutes or less. Some describe tank crews backng their tanks into the water to "hide" them from the German AT fires. That sounds a bit odd, but It does reflect the numerous tanks that were hit by AT fires while on the beach.
"Some" are wrong...or, more likely, decided to disengage their brains to increase the drama of their account. It was the tide coming in not the tanks backing into the water. :lol:

The 116th Infantry's initial four assault companies landed around 0630, while the three companies of the 743rd Tank Battalion landed at least 51 tanks and tankdozers about simultaneously, between 0624 and 0630.

In the 16th Infantry zone the two surviving DDs of the 741st Tank Battalion that launched landed at 0630 and were followed a few minutes later by three landed directly from their LCT. The wading tanks, A Company, landed at 0640 with another 12 tanks and 6 tankdozers having lost 2 tanks and 1 tankdozer when their LCT struck a mine in the night. So 21 operational tanks had landed by 0640. Unfortunately the timing of the assault waves is less well known because of the confusion of miss-landings, but most of the four assault companies were ashore between 0630 and 0640.

BTW, Tom, I hate to sound snippy, but you say you have my book and yet you seem to be unaware that all of this is covered by me in it? :roll: You think my book at best "challenges" some notions (fainting with damn praise that) and yet you are unable to draw out the facts from it that can answer some of your rather basic questions? That's more than a bit cheeky on your part I think. :x
Pooring over the accounts of the infantry & engineers its clear the obstacle was the German MG & mortar fire. Those who found a break in the enemy fire did not have a lot of trouble actually getting to the bluff crest. The shingle/sea wall was seldom more than 1.5 meters high & in other places less than a meter. The Shingle was a obstacle to tracked & wheeled vehicals but not to footsoldiers. The wire beyond was not dense & the assualt teams were well equipped with wire cutters & bangalore torpedos. Some infantry described getting through the wire without either, and a few seem not to have encountered wire. The ground between the shingle & crests started as low sand dunes which increased in height until merging with the lower bluff. The dunes were covered with grass and patches of brush, as were the slope of the bluff. There are lots of photos available that show the beach, dunes, and bluffs in 1944 & today.
Pretty close to accurate, although the wire entanglements at places were quite dense, especially in the low swale behind the dunes between the D-3 and E-3 exit and the seawall was backed by well-placed antitank ditches and antitank mines. Worse though was that those antitank obstacles were well-covered by antitank gunfire.B Company, 743rd Tank Bn landed intact on DOG GREEN with 16 tanks, but lost seven within a few minutes to gunfire, mines, and bogging. Later, the battalion commander was killed trying to direct the fire of his tanks to take out the 88mm and 50mm at WN72.

The problem was that the strength was concentrated at the exits, the tanks had little room to maneuver against them or support the infantry, and most of those defenses were too strong for an armored assault, even with Funnies, especially since the short range of the Petard meant that they had little chance of getting within range of the defenses, especially those on top of the bluffs or protected by the seawall, marshy ground, antitank ditch, and antitank mine obstacles. Essentially it was a near perfect combination of firepower and obstacles that was present nowehere else on that day. On GOLD JIG the firepower was present and raised havoc in the first few minutes, but Bert Scaife was able to maneuver off the beach because the obstacles were not strengthened by the terrain (and because for some odd reason the 88mm that could bear and that should have raised holy hell, was in a WN manned mostly by Osttruppen who put up only a token resistance), and similar occurred at SWORD.
The second worst obstacle were mines, however the first infantry to inflitrate the dunes & bluffs found paths through them and losses to the mines were not a showstopper.
Yep, the AP minefields were mostly on the trails - the occasional one still turns up there - and on the landward perimeter of the WN - on top of the bluffs mostly - where a Crab could not have gotten at them. The AT mines were closely grouped around the approaches to the WN from the beach, reinforcing the natural and manmade obstacles there.
The fundamental problem was the German MG were not suppressed by the preperatory fires, or by any effective supporting fires for nearly two hours. The shingle made for a covered position beyond which it was difficult to leave. Many attempts to cut wire were driven back or killed. Some infantry found dead zones in the MG fire, others found cover from smoke of the brush fires, & possiblly some of the tanks did knock out some of the MG. At any rate small ad hoc squads & platoons were moving through the dunes by 07:00 & some had reached the bluff crest around 07:30. This number gradually increased as the German MG positions were slowly knocked out.
The five DD tanks that landed in the 16th Infantry zone played an early role in suppressing WN60 and WN61, possibly knocking out the 75mm and 88mm there. The 743rd had less luck, partly because the 88mm, 75mm, and 50mm guns controlling the western end of the beach around the Vierville exit were so well sited and protected.
The tanks that made it ashore were slowly picked off. Some witnesses blame their losses on a attempt to collect them together for a assualt on one of the draws. Other witnesses or post battle analysts describe them knocked out gradually by the German AT guns. It is not clear what effect they had on German fire during the first two hours. Perhaps the 75mm guns could not penetrate the concrete of the MG & cannon bunkers?
The tanks could and did have an effect, but the miss landings meant that many tanks landed where there was no infantry and vice versa. The only ones that could be described as collected together were those of the 743rd, which spent the morning attempting to suppress the guns at the Vierville and Les Moulins exit while supporting the assault by the 116th Infantry, 5th and 2nd (-) Rangers on the bluffs between, which finally cracked the defenses. In the 16th Infantry zone the tanks landed were simply much fewer and simply couldn't be collected in any meaningful way.
What is clear is the tanks could not make it over the shingle wall, or past the AT guns guarding the roads off the beach. There were 16 bulldozers sent ashore to build ramps over the shingle & otherwise clear obstacles, but those were all hors combat within the hour. How other 'funnies ' would have fared is questionable to me. The shingle, dunes, & bluffs were effectively impentrable to assualt vehicals. Those required hours of work to build vehical paths across. The draws or gulleys with their paved roads were guarded by AT guns, mines, barriers, & planned targets for the artillery. Nearly all were taken by flank or rear attacks from the bluffs rather than by the direct infantry/tank assualts originally planned. Perhaps flame thrower tanks could have approached the MG & AT gun bunkers at the draws? Armored engineer vehicals could have survived long enough to make ramps over the shingle, & trample some barbed wire, but that does not sound decisive Enough LVT could have got the first wave of infantry to the shingle wall faster with fewer casualties, but that is just half the battle. None of these get decisively at the problem of dozens of unsppressed German MG enfilading the beach. That requires real fire support, not more vehicals on the bare sand between the dunes & rising tide.
It's actually difficult to track how many of the tankdozers survived, but a few apparently did and one of the 743rd was recovered and put back into action on 7 June, but otherwise on 7 June the 741st only had seven tanks operational and one in repair, while the 743rd had 39 (including the recovered dozer and a recovered M4) and one in repair. That's from 32 M4 DD, 8 M4 Dozers, and 22 M$ wading tanks in each battalion.

Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 26 Oct 2010, 03:39

Carl,
Carl wrote:
The tanks or craft they were on came in anywhere from two to fifteen minutes after the first infantry touched the beach. judging from the various books on my shelf most were on the beach in ten minutes or less. Some describe tank crews backng their tanks into the water to "hide" them from the German AT fires. That sounds a bit odd, but It does reflect the numerous tanks that were hit by AT fires while on the beach.
IIRC the plan was for the tanks to keep their hulls in the water for added protection. There was no need for them to come completely out of the water, where were they going to go? To the shingle or the sea wall and get hit by AT fire?

Mike

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Oct 2010, 04:45

Delta Tank wrote:IIRC the plan was for the tanks to keep their hulls in the water for added protection. There was no need for them to come completely out of the water, where were they going to go? To the shingle or the sea wall and get hit by AT fire?

Mike
Sorry Mike, but no, that was never the plan. The DD tanks were to provide the initial cover for the SETF along with the four assault companies, but not by hunkering down in the water. It was expected that within 20 minutes of landing the obstacle gaps would be completed and that meanwhile the assault companies and tanks would be inland, the tanks with the aid of the tankdozers landing a few minutes after with the wading tanks. But also by that time the tide was at high water, the landings were just 20 minutes before that. So those that couldn't get over the sea wall or shingle were stuck in the water as it rose around them.

Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2010, 07:03

Perhaps if the DD tanks had been armed with 5"L38 naval rifles?

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 26 Oct 2010, 12:49

Carl Schwamberger wrote:Perhaps if the DD tanks had been armed with 5"L38 naval rifles?
Wow!! 127mm gun on a M-4 Sherman!!! Now that is the ticket!!

Mike

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Oct 2010, 13:33

Delta Tank wrote:
Carl Schwamberger wrote:Perhaps if the DD tanks had been armed with 5"L38 naval rifles?
Wow!! 127mm gun on a M-4 Sherman!!! Now that is the ticket!!

Mike

I think...hope...that was intended to be tongue in cheek?

Anyway, 8" guns or nothing I always say... :P
Richard Anderson
Stackpole Books, 2009.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2010, 18:09

RichTO90 wrote:
Anyway, 8" guns or nothing I always say... :P
I can imagine the AAR from one of those crews. 'Landed @ 06:35. Engaged four reinforced concrete gun postions with four shots between 06:38 & 06:57. Four targets judged destroyed. Returned to water line at 06:59 to look for ammo resupply.'

On a slightly more serious note I wonder if the two tank battalions had been equipped with predominatly 105mm cannon would their fires have been noticablly more effective? I'm thinking smoke ammo as well as HE & AP types.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 26 Oct 2010, 18:16

Rich,

I know it's all in your book - but I was too lazy to go find it and you rumbled me. :oops: :oops:

As for the "fainting with damn praise" :D , I didn't mean to diminish your achievement in finding so many new primary sources, I just felt the need to assert (after having been reminded all year by my Open University tutor) that historians should be careful when declaring a "problem solved", a "myth busted" or a "culprit identified". I realise I should keep my assertions to myself, and that it wasn't you asserting that you had "byth musted" and will now go away and find your book and give it the damn thorough reading it deserves. :)

Regards from a chastened correspondent,

Tom

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Oct 2010, 19:52

Carl Schwamberger wrote:I can imagine the AAR from one of those crews. 'Landed @ 06:35. Engaged four reinforced concrete gun postions with four shots between 06:38 & 06:57. Four targets judged destroyed. Returned to water line at 06:59 to look for ammo resupply.'
Actually, it was pretty far from that. How about, paraphrased, "landed in our DD direct from LCT, engaged positions as we advanced to the seawall, life raft secured to turret caught fire from mortar hit and we were unable to get rid of it because of the volume of small arms fire, managed to get through the shingle, but in the process were tracked and hung up on the seawall, continued to engage enemy positions until the life raft fire spread to the other gear and engine, forcing crew to abandon"... :roll:

"Ammo resupply" was supposed to come in with the wading tanks and other vehicles in the following waves, loaded in waterproof "Porpoise" sledges" and it was never intended to be a matter of "returning to the waterline" for it.
On a slightly more serious note I wonder if the two tank battalions had been equipped with predominatly 105mm cannon would their fires have been noticablly more effective? I'm thinking smoke ammo as well as HE & AP types.
Smoke? No, the intended "Smokers" (LCP fitted out with chemical smoke generators) on all the beaches were discontinued because the wind was too great and it dispersed too quickly. The AP round for the 105mm was a HEAT-type and at that time had little effectiveness versus reinforced concrete, while the HE probably would only be marginally more effective. None of them were seriosly effective against the big gun emplacements except those that were incomplete unless they hit the firing slit...and even that wasn't neccessarily a guarantee.

Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Stackpole Books, 2009.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Oct 2010, 20:06

Tom from Cornwall wrote:I know it's all in your book - but I was too lazy to go find it and you rumbled me. :oops: :oops:
I suspected as much, but couldn't resist the tempatation of tweaking you... :P
As for the "fainting with damn praise" :D , I didn't mean to diminish your achievement in finding so many new primary sources, I just felt the need to assert (after having been reminded all year by my Open University tutor) that historians should be careful when declaring a "problem solved", a "myth busted" or a "culprit identified". I realise I should keep my assertions to myself, and that it wasn't you asserting that you had "byth musted" and will now go away and find your book and give it the damn thorough reading it deserves. :)
Given that my final assessment was considerably different from my initial one as published here and elsewhere online a few years back, I should hope most would realize that I put considerable thought into my conclusions. But if any "myth" was "busted" it was the notion that the US Army "refused" Funnies, which, unfortunately, seems to have a life of its own since it still gets repeated.

I still doubt, given their limitations, that AVRE would have made a difference on OMAHA, but they were effective...whether or not more effective than just tanks is a slightly different matter (the Dustbin and Petard had some distinct limitations). OTOH the real "killer" ultimately on OMAHA was that there weren't enough damn LCT, which led to things like the 111th FA being brought in by DUKW...glub, glub...and fewer tracked vehicles being landed overall. For example, at OMAHA, to land the extra 26-odd tanks in the assault wave per sector to make it "like" the British beaches would have required 7 or 8 additional LCT each...and some way to split the US battalion organization so as to accomodate that as well. There just wasn't enough and anyone who thinks that something similar could have been carried out in ROUNDUP are delusional to say the least.
Regards from a chastened correspondent,

Tom
Just wait till I can make the time to answer the latest "Narrow Front" nonesense. :lol: :P You seemingly keep forgetting that whatever Monty may have thought about while sitting outside his caravan on 18 August, there simply were not "40 divisions" to be had by him then, so at best he was engaging in the same mental masturbation of all inveterate "what ifers"...the cheap shot regarding the difference between the SHAEF and 21 Army Group staffs is also just that...
:P :P :P
Richard Anderson
Stackpole Books, 2009.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Oct 2010, 21:45

Tom from Cornwall wrote:Rich,

How I miss the good old days of "narrow front nonsense"! :)
I see, so then you like circular arguments? :P Maybe we should move this all back over to the other thread?
Re Monty musing on his caravan steps - would it have been more acceptable if he had said that his basic idea was to move the two army groups in a relatively compact formation north of the Ardennes, thus keeping a relatively solid mass of about '35+ divisions'?
No, because the reality was that the Allies weren't even capable of that...perhaps 20+ divisions was an exaggeration. Note that for most of September the Allies are actually capable of supporting ("actually capable of" because that is all they did support) - on and off at any one time - four to six divisions in US Third Army, four to six divisions in US First Army, four to six divisions of Second British Army, and one or two divisions of First Canadian Army, so 13 to 20 divisions in sustained operations (not including the three airborne divisions partly supplied by air during the period). That is not 40+, 35+, or even 20+. Worse, I still remain unconvinced that the communications corridor north of the Ardennes running back to the Normandy beaches could even sustain those >20 divisions in that period or for some time thereafter.
Obviously I don't know what would have been the result of Eisenhower saying on 23 Aug 44, "By God, Monty, you are a genius, I am going to do exactly what you say", but what pisses me off is that Eisenhower didn't follow his advice, there was no single thrust, but still some people point to what did happen and say "ah ha! that shows that the 'knife like thrust' would not have worked", simply ignoring the fact that in mid-August Montgomery was not talking about a "knife like thrust". What happened in Sep 44 proved that when Eisenhower said that "we will have shortly captured the Ruhr and the Saar" he was as wildly optimistic as Montgomery was when he said 'I believe the time has come when one thrust could get to Berlin'.

Somehow the truth that Eisenhower embarked on the "Broad Front" not because he was cautious but because he was over confident has got obscured in the national and personal politics of the whole issue.
No, the "truth" is that he embarked on the broad front because that is what had been agreed to beforehand, that is what the already rickety logistical structure was designed to support, and that was half the 50:50 option he had available to chose from. That he did so with confidence is nice...except that it was pretty obvious that under the bluster of both he and Monty yakking on about the war being over before Christmas neither really believed that was practical.

Fundamentally neither option was a good one and neither had much chance of success, but for different reasons. At the same time both had some chance for success and the one Ike decided on failed...so get over it.
My argument is that if SHAEF's resources could have been put to better use, and if the campaign had been conducted with more emphasis on "concentration of effort" and the "maintenance of the aim" of capturing the Ruhr, more progress may have been made in the 1st US Army sector than occurred historically, with implications for operations across the rest of the front.
HOW? Seriously, lay out where the forces are on 18 August, where the supplies are, what the exisiting supply pipeline is, what the Allies expected and planned for the positions to be as of then, and how it all gets reoriented from where it is on 18 August to where it needs to be to continue the momentum with everyone north of the Ardennes through to the be all and end all, which is apparently what it is, of the Ruhr, by X-Day...call it Christmas?
Anyway, that's enough about that for now! I shall now descend from my soap box. :D Now where is that book that I was looking for. :D

Regards

Tom
Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Stackpole Books, 2009.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 26 Oct 2010, 22:21

RichTO90 wrote:

I see, so then you like circular arguments? :P Maybe we should move this all back over to the other thread?

Could you please. The DD tank thread has been such a pleasant one, almost uncontaminated by topic drift.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Oct 2010, 22:55

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
RichTO90 wrote:

Could you please. The DD tank thread has been such a pleasant one, almost uncontaminated by topic drift.
Like, sorry Dude, but it wasn't me that fired up the old Threadjacker 3000™ this time... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by RichTO90 on 27 Oct 2010, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Anderson
Stackpole Books, 2009.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”