Lend-lease Thompsons, New Condition...selling fast?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
varjag
In memoriam

Lend-lease Thompsons, New Condition...selling fast?

Post by varjag » 06 Jan 2004, 12:40

Just had a vibe about a batch of brand new Thompson SMG's, coming straight out of their factory-crates with cleaning kits and four magazines per gun on the market for around US $500!? I have chased too many rainbows to buy this story outright - just seems another one to me. However - the storyline is, that these guns were Lendlease shipments to USSR - never unpacked,never used and they JUST turned up in Poland but may have originated in the Ukraine......anyone else out there picked up this info? IF it should prove to be true the extremely low price suggests that sellers have a huge supply - probably several thousands of Tommy-guns and wan't to shift them at give-away prices.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 06 Jan 2004, 19:16

Well the problem with this story is the fact that these weapons would be full auto. This is a major problem for most people, in the US it is expensive to get such a weapon and I think with the Clinton Assault Rifle ban these would fall under that law. You can own a full auto firearm but it is not easy thing to do, or at least not cheap. So there is a chance they are selling them for 500 dollars, but considering the laws in Australia you would never see one. Although to own a true Tommy gun with full auto ability would be a nice piece for any collection.

Kim

Post by Kim » 06 Jan 2004, 23:59

I think there are probably enough Class 3 dealers in the U.S. that would gladly pay $500 per gun all day long,as many as truckloads as were available.
Even into the 80's there was always somebody's uncles cousin who had crates of WWII Harleys still in cosmoline. Maybe right after the war some lucky guys wound up with a few,but those days are long gone,I'm sure and it's the same with the Thompson story,I'll wager. :(
Kim

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 07 Jan 2004, 03:26

Well, I smell a hoax.
But, for the record, the Soviet Union received 112,293 cal. 45 Submachine guns through Lend-Lease.

Cheers, David

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 08 Jan 2004, 03:05

There seems to be some fire under this smoke after all. Numbers are appearing with US dealers, all heard of so far are 1928A1's. Said not to be brand new but near with only minor dings on the furniture. Some are AO marked and some S, assumed to be Auto Ordnance and Savage, coming in crates of 4 but mixed manufacture in the crates (!). At least
o n e 'cleaning-kit' reported, was same oilbottle as provided with the Garand and at least four heard of, all carry US Army markings of crossed cannons in circle. Lend Lease?

Kim

Post by Kim » 09 Jan 2004, 19:10

If it turns out to be true there are going to be a few happy Class 3 dealers. If I get a chance this weekend I'll pop into the local gunshop and see if anyone has heard any scuttlebutt.
Kim

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 11 Jan 2004, 01:19

Kim wrote:I think there are probably enough Class 3 dealers in the U.S. that would gladly pay $500 per gun all day long,as many as truckloads as were available.
Even into the 80's there was always somebody's uncles cousin who had crates of WWII Harleys still in cosmoline. Maybe right after the war some lucky guys wound up with a few,but those days are long gone,I'm sure and it's the same with the Thompson story,I'll wager. :(
Kim
Yes but I do not think you can import class 3 weapons into the United States anymore.

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 11 Jan 2004, 14:08

Caldric is quite right. Some law was passed in Clinton days to limit the private arsenal of full-speeders to what was already there; no new imports, no new registrations - only incest between existing owners/dealers. Alas - such bans have been circumvented in the US before.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 31 Jan 2004, 18:39

are we talking about this (already for sale, as parts sets)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4721

and then you can buy a 80% receiver here http://www.ohioordnance.com

there is already a way to circumvent the law regarding new imports, but I won't go in detail in the forum, is a business oportunity.

regards

Xavier
Instandsetzungtruppfuhrer

Return to “USA 1919-1945”