WWII Bomber Pilot

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Horvath

WWII Bomber Pilot

Post by Horvath » 30 Jan 2004, 14:39

anyone knows the name of the pilot who dropped the two atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki,I also heard that he went crazy over the years,is that true? a picture will be handy as well,thanks :)

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 30 Jan 2004, 18:32

Paul Tibbets, later a general, was Pilot of "Enola Gay"

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 30 Jan 2004, 18:33

sorry - I forgot to say, that was the Hiroshima bomber

Pete

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 30 Jan 2004, 18:36

Nagasaki was Frederick C. Bock and his B-29 was "Bockscar".

I have a photo somewhere I'll try to find it.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 30 Jan 2004, 18:37

"Bockscar"
Attachments
bockscar.jpg
bockscar.jpg (13.44 KiB) Viewed 1062 times

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 30 Jan 2004, 18:41

The Manchester Guardian (8th August, 1945)

The first atomic bomb struck squarely in the centre of Hiroshima on August 6 with a flash and concussion that to the Super-Fortress crew ten miles away had the effect of the close explosion of anti-aircraft artillery. Colonel Paul W. Tibbits, who piloted the 'plane, and Captain William S. Parsons, a United States Navy Ordnance expert, described the explosion as tremendous and awe-inspiring.

"It was hard to believe what we saw," said Colonel Tibbits. Colonel Tibbits was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal immediately he returned from the raid. He said the trip out to the target was uneventful. The bomb was released by direct vision. "We dropped the bomb at exactly 9 15 a.m. Japanese time," he continued, "and got out of the target area as quickly as possible to avoid the full effect of the explosion. A tremendous cloud of smoke arose which completely blotted out Hiroshima. When we felt the explosion it was like flak bursting close by. We stayed over the target area for two minutes.

Although they were ten miles away the crew of the Super-Fortress from which the first atomic bomb was dropped on Japan likened the concussion to the bursting of an anti-aircraft shell close to the 'plane. The members of the Super-Fortress crew told their stories to press correspondents in Guam early this morning. Reconnaissance reports on the raid are expected to be released later to-day. Japanese statements have not been able to conceal the serious nature of the destruction caused by the bomb. They say the bomb was attached to a parachute and exploded in the air. Tokio broadcasts have contained violent attacks on the Americans for using such a weapon. It is believed in Washington that the Allies may issue a second surrender ultimatum to Japan, and that there may be an interval before a full-scale atomic bomb attack is launched.

Captain Parsons, who went in the 'plane to observe the effects of the bomb, said: "The whole thing was tremendous and awe-inspiring. After the missile had been released I sighed and stood back for the shock. When it came the men aboard with me gasped 'My God,' and what had been Hiroshima was a mountain of smoke like a giant mushroom."

"We were at least ten miles away, and there was a visual impact, even though every man wore coloured glasses for protection. We had braced ourselves, when the bomb had gone, against the shock, and Tibbits said 'Close flak.' It was just like that - a close burst of ack-ack fire.

"A thousand feet above the ground was a great mass of dust, boiling, swirling, and extending over most of the city. Soon afterwards small fires sprang up on the edge of the town, but the town itself was entirely obscured. We stayed around for two or three minutes and by that time the smoke had risen to 40,000ft. As we watched the top cone of white smoke broke off, but another soon formed."

Asked if the men in the Super-Fortress knew what their mission was, Captain Parsons replied: "They knew they were in on something big, but no more. They were, however, told to expect a blinding flash and were issued with black goggles. Only three of us in the 'plane, Colonel Tibbits, Bombardier Major Thomas Ferebee, and myself, knew what type of bomb was being dropped."
Attachments
PaulTibbets.jpg
PaulTibbets.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

Takao

Post by Takao » 30 Jan 2004, 19:20

The pilot on the Nagasaki mission was Major Charles W. Sweeney, the plane was Bock's Car.

Major Sweeney's original aircraft B-29 "The Great Artiste", which he flew as the instrument aircraft for the Hiroshima mission. It was decided, at the last moment to switch aircraft. It was faster and easier for the two pilots to switch aircraft than to rip all the instruments out of "The Great Artiste", move them to "Bock's Car", and the recalibrate them.

While the Hiroshima mission went smoothly, the Nagasaki mission was beset by several mishaps and bad luck. 600 gallons of fuel was could not be used when a fuel pump failed. One of the attendant B-29s became lost, broke radio silence to broadcast a garbled "Has Sweeny aborted", and Tinian recieved this communication as "Sweeney aborted" and recalled all surface rescue craft. Major Sweeney was forced to make 3 runs over the original target, Kokura, but due to poor weather and visual conditions he diverted to Nagasaki. With the fuel situation critical, Sweeney diverted to Okinawa. By the crew's best estimate the would run out of gas 50 miles short of Okinawa. Sweeney used every trick he knew and managed to land on Okinawa with only 6 usable gallons remaining in the tanks.

Charles W. Sweeney would stay in the military and retire a Major General in 1976. He wrote an excellent account of the two missions. The book is called "War's End: An eyewitness account of America's last atomic mission"

Locke

Post by Locke » 30 Jan 2004, 19:32

Here's a pic of Sweeney:

http://www.childrenofthemanhattanprojec ... AP-018.htm

Regards,
Polona

ChristopherPerrien

Re: WWII Bomber Pilot

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 30 Jan 2004, 20:27

Horvath wrote:anyone knows the name of the pilot who dropped the two atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki,I also heard that he went crazy over the years,is that true? a picture will be handy as well,thanks :)
Pilots don't drop bombs the bombardier does, one of the bombardiers for one of the atomic missions did commit suicide after the war. I think it was the Bock's car bombardier(Nagasaki) but I am not sure at this time.

Horvath

Post by Horvath » 31 Jan 2004, 19:06

thanks all,
so let me get this straight,there were 2 different planes for each mission,and 2 different pilots for each mission,the bombardier dropped the bomb and not the pilot,one of them commited suicide after the war.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 31 Jan 2004, 20:37

Horvath wrote:thanks all,
so let me get this straight,there were 2 different planes for each mission,and 2 different pilots for each mission,the bombardier dropped the bomb and not the pilot,one of them commited suicide after the war.
Right,

August 6-Hiroshima- plane Enola Gay -pilot -Tibbets
Aug 9- Nagasaski -plane Bock's Car -pilot Sweeney, who switch planes with the normal pilot of this plane (Frank Bock) for this mission

Now on each mission there was one plane carrying the bomb and two taking pictures/observing. So three planes each time . The Atom bomb plane squadron the, 509th composite group, I think had 12-15 aircraft .

Here I found a link that should explain it
http://www.childrenofthemanhattanprojec ... H-07a3.htm

Not sure what three planes few on each mission Great atri

Douglas Jr.

Paul Tibbets...

Post by Douglas Jr. » 01 Feb 2004, 21:21

Hi,

No none of the pilots commited suicide. Maybe another crewman, since I´ve heard this story too. In fact, Tibbets is still alive. Here is a short biography of him:

" Paul Warfield Tibbets, Jr. was born in Quincy, Illinois on February 23rd, 1915. His teen years were spent attending Western Military Academy. Later he attended the Universities of Florida and Cincinnati in pursuit of a career in medicine, but his determination to fly was greater than that of a career both parents wanted for him. On February 25th, 1937, Paul enlisted as a flying cadet in the Army Air Corps at Fort Thomas, Kentucky. A year later he got his pilot wings at Kelly Field, Texas and was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant.

In February 1942, Paul became the Squadron Commander of the 340th Bomb Squadron, 97th Bombardment Group, destined for England. He flew 25 missions in B-17s, including the first American Flying Fortress raid against occupied Europe. In November of that year he was in Algeria leading the first bombardment missions in support of the North African invasion. In March 1943, he was returned to the states to test the combat capability of Boeing's new Super Fortress, the B-29, an airplane plagued with problems. He taught himself to fly the airplane and subsequently flew it about 400 hours in tests.

In September 1944, Paul was briefed on the Manhattan Project, the code name for the development of the atom bomb. It was to be his responsibility to organize and train a unit to deliver these weapons in combat operations. He would also determine and supervise the modifications necessary to make the B-29 capable of delivering the weapons. The unit would support Los Alamos with flight test airplanes to establish ballistics and detonator reliability to explode the bombs. On December 17th, 1944, formal orders were issued activating the 509th Composite Group, consisting of seven subordinate units. In March 1945 the First Ordnance Squadron, a unit designed to carry out the technical phases of the group responsibilities, became part of the 509th. The personnel count now exceeded 1500 enlisted men and some 200 officers. Then, quietly, the group started moving overseas to Tinian Island in the Marianas chain.

On the afternoon of August 5th, 1945, President Truman gave his approval to use the weapons against Japan. By the time the plane left, it's familiar arrowhead tail motif had been changed on both sides to the letter "R" in a circle, the standard i.d. for the Sixth bomb group. The idea behind the change was to confuse the enemy if they made contact, which they did not. At 02:30 A.M. August 6th, the "Enola Gay" lifted off North Field with Paul Tibbets and his crew en route to Hiroshima. At exactly 09:15 plus 15 seconds the world's first atomic bomb exploded.

The "Enola Gay" landed back at Tinian at 2:58 P.M. and the plane and crew were greeted by General Spaatz, a large contingent of brass, and jubilant GIs. General Spaatz decorated Tibbets with the Distinguished Service Cross and the other crew members with Air Medals. This tremendous accomplishment, which not only affected the outcome of World War II but altered the history of the world, was not merely a single event. Rather, it was a culmination of events throughout which Paul Tibbets played a pivotal role.

In 1946 Paul participated in the Bikini Bomb Tests as technical advisor to the commander of the air task force. Later, he was responsible for the Air Force's purchase of the B-47 six engine jet bomber and its service tests at the Boeing factory in Wichita, Kansas. He went on to command two of the Strategic Air Command's bomber organizations, did a tour with NATO in France, and was responsible for establishing the National Military Command Center in the Pentagon.

When Paul Tibbets retired from the U.S. Air Force on August 31st, 1966, he had completed more than 29 and one-half years of service, As pilot of one of the most famous flights of WW II, which brought about a quicker surrender from the enemy and a reduction in the loss of Allied lives, and for his leadership and skill with both airplanes and people in times of stress, Paul W. Tibbets, Jr. is enshrined with honor into the National Aviation Hall of Fame.

Awards and Decorations: Distinguished Service Cross - Distinguished Flying Cross - Air Medal - Purple Heart - Legion of Merit -European Campaign Medal - Joint Staff Commendation Medal - American Defense Service Medal - World War II Victory Medal - Air Force Outstanding Unit Award - American Campaign Medal"

Hope it helps you.

Regards,

Douglas.
Attachments
Paul Tibbets-2.jpg
Tibbets just after return of the mission with Enola Gay, after be awarded with the Distingueshed Service Cross.
Paul Tibbets-2.jpg (85.29 KiB) Viewed 963 times

Horvath

Post by Horvath » 03 Feb 2004, 13:27

wow,I will be delightful to get an interview with Paul Tibbets,most people just pass by him in the street,almost no one really knows who that guy is...how arkward...and thanks,it helped me.

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 03 Feb 2004, 16:56

Paul Tibbets is alive and living in Ohio. Former Chicago Tribune columnist, Bob Greene, interviewed him many times and wrote a book about his father's service in WW2 in comparison to Tibbet's. A review can be found here: http://www.laurens.public.lib.ga.us/ind ... iew_seven2

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 03 Feb 2004, 19:24

The supposed wacko from the A-Bomb missions was a self-serving near-do-well and crackpot....

Huie (the same man who wrote EXCUTION OF PRIVATE SLOVIK) wrote a book about him.....

Below is the hype from the cover of a paperback edition.....

William Bradford Huie
The Hiroshima Pilot
New York, N.Y., U.S.A.: Pocket Books, 1965. Mass Market Paperback. VERY GOOD. First Thus. 12mo - over 6 " - 7 " tall. This is the account of dropping the atomic bomb on Hiroshima by Major Eathery. Major Eatherly simulated the bomb run over Hiroshima and check for target visibility, and the radioed an all-clear message to the Enola Gay, which dropped the first atomic bomb. This book covers in depth the affect of dropping the bomb on his life.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”