American Paratroopers

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

American Paratroopers

Post by Tolga Alkan » 08 Jul 2002 18:08

Does anyone interested in American paratroopers in particular 101st Airborne Division?I've read some books about this unit,they did well fights.

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 09 Jul 2002 16:44

One thing that puzzles me is,did American paras have a reputation being more brutal than US army?.I realise that paras in every nation are elite and generally more "eager" to fight than their army comrades.And when in mission behind enemy lines they don't always have time or possibility to take prisoners.But in many sources are cases where US paras shoots prisoners.
The American behaved as they always do,throwing our wounted from the bridge into the Waal and shooting the few prisoners among the army reservist
Lieutenant-Colonel Fullriede after battle against 82.US paras in Nijmegen
Shameful mutilations had been committed against the wounted lying on the road bridge.Stab wounds to the head,throat and hearth were seen by Liutenat Schulz and Albrecht
SS-Haupsturmfuhler Schwappacher Nijmegen.

Any thoughts?

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Post by Tolga Alkan » 09 Jul 2002 18:42

Well,
In Band of Brothers,i read there were many incidents of shot to prisoners made by 101st paratroopers.they had have hate to German,i can say it from this book.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 09 Jul 2002 21:56

Not to make excuses, but the events at the Nijmegen Bridge would have to fall into "the heat of battle" category. A battalion of the 504th PIR had just been through a brutal daylight river crossing where "everything that could go wrong, did." This was a testament to the paratroopers esprit and ferocity that they managed to capture the north end of the bridge after the events so graphically depicted in the film, A BRIDGE TOO FAR.

There was another episode in Holland where Jumpy Johnson's paratroopers prevailed over Von Der Heyde's during the "sand dune fight" outside of Veghel, where the fighting came down to hand to hand.

As with elite soldiers asked to do a dirty job, its better to be with them than against them. BAND OF BROTHERS, while a product of Saints Ambrose and Spielberg, and despite a few sentimental, and even laughable lapses, does give a good overview of who these men were, what they were asked to do, and how they did it.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 15 Jul 2002 07:15

Read 2 good books about the 101st from a soldiers eye view, 7 roads to hell, and the road to arnhem, by Donald Burgett. There is a 3rd called currahee, but I haven't found it yet. Very good, this guy saw alot of action.

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Post by Tolga Alkan » 15 Jul 2002 13:38

Yeah,they are good books of soldier view on war.Curahee isn't listed in amazon?

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 15 Jul 2002 17:27

Curahee is without a doubt one of the most memorable memoirs ever published. Originally released in the late 60's, Burgett has written a raw and real account of training, and the invasion of Normandy.

The beauty of the book is that it flows from his memory, and has it all, the good, the bad and indifferent.

This had recently been reprinted by Presidio, to follow that publisher’s editions of Burgett’s memoirs that cover Holland, The Bulge, and the last days of the war.

The difference in Currahee and the other three books is that it took almost 30 years for the follow-up volumes to be published. While Curahee is memory, the others Burgett managed to add perspective from the excellent histories published by the 101st airborne association, and do not have that from the “gut” perspective of Curahee.

For those watching BAND OF BROTHERS, the were all in the same Regiment (506th PIR), but Burgett was in a different company. They would work well to read them between episodes..... Burgett’s descriptions of the fighting around Foy, Belgium, are down right frightening.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Custermen

Currahee photo album

Post by Custermen » 20 Aug 2002 21:51

BTW, there was also a small, softbound booklet on the 506PIR called "Currahee" that was published towards the end of the war. I saw a copy at an auction during one of our club meetings.

It is about 60 pages, wide format. It has more than photos with some good reference material; such as names of KIAs and awards. You can find some of the names from Band of Brothers in it, of course.

For a good Forum on 101st and other Airborne, try
http://www.wildbillguarnere.com
It has been operational since May and has a forum format exactly like this.

Custermen

Aufklarung
Financial supporter

Post by Aufklarung » 20 Aug 2002 22:01

Good link. Interesting site. :D

Return to “USA 1919-1945”