US 35th Inf.Division + US 4th.Arm.Division - request!

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Jochen S.

US 35th Inf.Division + US 4th.Arm.Division - request!

Post by Jochen S. » 17 Mar 2004, 21:01

Hello,

For a long time I am studying the actions of the German 1.SS Panzerdivision, and its US adversaries, during the Battle of the Bulge.

I am very much interested in detailed information (AARs)on the actions of the US 35th Inf.Division Lutrebois/Lutremagne/Losagne/Villers la Bonne Eau / Bastogne area, dated 28.December 1944 - 12.January 1945 - and -
CCA/4th Arm.Div actions in the same general area. Ofcourse any information on unmentioned divisional units is also most welcome.

I already have studied relevant books and searched the net. I am looking for specific information from the Archives.

ANY information would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Jochen S.

subskipper

Re: US 35th Inf.Division + US 4th.Arm.Division - request!

Post by subskipper » 18 Mar 2004, 19:48

Jochen S. wrote:Hello,

For a long time I am studying the actions of the German 1.SS Panzerdivision, and its US adversaries, during the Battle of the Bulge.

I am very much interested in detailed information (AARs)on the actions of the US 35th Inf.Division Lutrebois/Lutremagne/Losagne/Villers la Bonne Eau / Bastogne area, dated 28.December 1944 - 12.January 1945 - and -
CCA/4th Arm.Div actions in the same general area. Ofcourse any information on unmentioned divisional units is also most welcome.

I already have studied relevant books and searched the net. I am looking for specific information from the Archives.

ANY information would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Jochen S.
Send a request to Nara, I'm sure they can find the required AAR's for you.

http://www.archives.gov

~Henric Edwards

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 19 Mar 2004, 01:46

Henric Edwards wrote: Send a request to Nara, I'm sure they can find the required AAR's for you.

Unless NARA has changed its policies, I NARA will not do the research for him.

NARA might provide him with a list of professional researchers who'll get the AARs for him for a fee.

Penn44

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 19 Mar 2004, 16:40

Penn44 wrote:
Henric Edwards wrote: Send a request to Nara, I'm sure they can find the required AAR's for you.

Unless NARA has changed its policies, I NARA will not do the research for him.

NARA might provide him with a list of professional researchers who'll get the AARs for him for a fee.

Penn44
But they will send him copies of known documents pertaining to a certain unit. Last time I used them I simply sent a request via e-mail, and one week later an order form arrived with the micro film roll numbers already filled in. All I had to do was sign the order and send it back. It's worth a try.

~Henric Edwards

Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. » 20 Mar 2004, 21:23

Thanks both for reply. I do have specific info on the docs. requested.
I will give it a try!

Jochen S.

strops

Post by strops » 23 Nov 2020, 15:06

Hi together,

it's an old Thread, but I'm also interested in documents about the fightings in Lutrebois in Dec 44/ Jan 45. As mentioned before units of the 35th Infantry Division (all Regiments), the CCA/ 4th AD and (not mentioned) 6th AD were involved in the fightings. For 6th Armored Division it was mostly a Combat Group of 320th Infantry Regiment (35th ID), which was assigned to 6th AD during the figthings for Lutrebois.
Documents of the 4th Armored Division are in the RG 604, for 6th Armored Division in RG 606.

Do you get the information you needed from NARA?

Regards
Alex

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 23 Nov 2020, 15:17

The 1960s study Armor at Bastogne has some relevant information
https://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital ... 2496/rec/1

strops

Post by strops » 23 Nov 2020, 17:00

Hi,

yes, there are a lot of publications covering the fightings in Lutrebois in late Dec 44. During my researches to this topic I figured out, that most of this publications based on the narratives of Höcker and further on the work of Cole in general. As Cole mentioned the Battle for Lutrebois was very confused and a lots of different units were involved. This is in special true for the fightings in Lutrebois on Dec. 30 and the Chateau de Losange. A lot of literature says that the 1. SS-Pz.-Div. captured Lutrebois and the Chateau de Losange. But in fact Lutrebois was captured by the Grenadier-Regiment 331 of the 167th Volks-Grenadier-Division. Also the battle for the Chateau de Losange was fought by the Grenadier-Regiment 331.
Only Losange, mainly a junction, south of the Chateau was reached by troops of the 1. SS-Pz.-Div. on 30 Dec 1944.

Regards
Alex

Dunnigan

Post by Dunnigan » 24 Nov 2020, 18:40

After Action Reports for the 35th Infantry Division are available here:

http://www.coulthart.com/134/aa-report-index.htm

For the 1 SS perspective, there's some information in Michael Reynold's book or the 1 SS Panzer Division unit history volume.

Geoffrey Cooke

Post by Geoffrey Cooke » 20 Dec 2020, 19:56

It was my understanding that only a small battle group from L.S.S.A.H. went to the Bastogne area while the majority remained on the northern shoulder for the rest of the battle.

strops

Post by strops » 23 Dec 2020, 07:07

Hi,

the LSSAH formed two battle groups for the attack at Lutrebois on Dec 30, 1944. These were the BG Poetschke and BG Hansen. In all the two battle groups were build of the combat ready tanks of the 6th and 7th Co of the SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 and the first and second battalion of the SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 1 and 2. Both BG's were tasked to cut the Arlon-Bastogne road. This gould should be reached for BG Poetschke at Remoifosse and for BG Hansen at Losange.

Regards
Alex

Return to “USA 1919-1945”