Internment of Japanese Americans

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 17 Nov 2006, 03:38

Delta Tank wrote: While all the interned Italians were citizens of Italy, about two-thirds of the interned Japanese were American citizens. The anti-Japanese measures lasted the length of the war, while the anti-Italian restrictions mostly ended after less than a year.
The reason I looked this topic up was because of two statements in Tammy Bruce’s book The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values. Brice states that:

1] More Europeans were interned durring the war than Japanese.

2] This fact somehow then proves that the internment of Japanese was not motivated by racism, but by legitimate “national security” concerns.

I think that the figures boil down to something like this:

110,000 Japanese (2/3 of them citizens) interned.
+11,000 Germans (most of them foreign nationals) interned.
+ 1,600 Itallians (all of them foreign nationals) interned.
========
121,600 total internees

Thus 9.6% of the total were European, a figure of less than one-in-ten, much less “more than half.” At this point I would have to conclude:

1] The Japanese were victemized as much for their race as for the state of war.

2] Tammy Bruce is yet another right-wing flack trying to hide her imperialist agenda behind a false “America is never wrong” patriotism.

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 17 Nov 2006, 04:22

R. M. Schultz.
he reason I looked this topic up was because of two statements in Tammy Bruce’s book The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values. Brice states that:

1] More Europeans were interned durring the war than Japanese.

2] This fact somehow then proves that the internment of Japanese was not motivated by racism, but by legitimate “national security” concerns.

I think that the figures boil down to something like this:

110,000 Japanese (2/3 of them citizens) interned.
+11,000 Germans (most of them foreign nationals) interned.
+ 1,600 Itallians (all of them foreign nationals) interned.
========
121,600 total internees

Thus 9.6% of the total were European, a figure of less than one-in-ten, much less “more than half.” At this point I would have to conclude:

1] The Japanese were victemized as much for their race as for the state of war.

2] Tammy Bruce is yet another right-wing flack trying to hide her imperialist agenda behind a false “America is never wrong” patriotism.
Who is Tammy Bruce and did she sight any documents to back up her claim, footnotes? I have not read Michelle Malikin's book, but I am tempted to buy it (used of course) and read it and check the footnotes.

Mike

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 17 Nov 2006, 06:19

Delta Tank wrote:Who is Tammy Bruce and did she sight any documents to back up her claim, footnotes? I have not read Michelle Malikin's book, but I am tempted to buy it (used of course) and read it and check the footnotes.
Tammy Bruce describes herself as a “lesbian pro-choice feminist” but she is actually a reactionary right-wing associate of Dr. Laura Schlessinger and Sean Hannity.
Wikimedia wrote:Tammy Bruce (born August 19, 1962) is an author and political commentator. Bruce hosts The Tammy Bruce Show, a radio talk show broadcast on over 160 stations in the United States.

For seven years, Bruce served as president of the Los Angeles chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW) from 1990 to 1996, the longest continuous tenure in the chapter's 30-year history. She mobilized activists locally and nationally on a whole range of issues, including women's image in media, child care, health care, violence against women, economics, and domestic violence. She also served two years on the board of directors for NOW, which she heavily criticizes in her last book. During the early '90s she spearheaded the campaign to bring awareness to the sexualized violence in the book American Psycho by calling for a boycott of all other books published by Knopf for one year.

Turning from her leftism in the late 1990’s, Bruce is now a fervent supporter of George W. Bush and Republican policies and opposed to the Democratic party and what she describes as the "radical left."

At 17 years old, Bruce was romantically involved with Days of our Lives star Brenda Benet. In an interview on C-SPAN's BookTV, Bruce said that Benet shot herself in the head while in the bathroom of Bruce's residence.
Footnotes? Are you kidding? If there were any footnotes I would have simply checked them instead of searching the AHF!

A quick search on Michelle Malkin shows her to be of the same ilk as Bruce, except where Bruce is a lesbian Uncle Tom attacking feminists, Malkin is a Fillipino Uncle Tom defending American racism against the Japanese. I haven’t the time to read it now, but this seems to be a pretty good de-bunking of In Defense of Internment:  The Case for 'Racial Profiling' in World War II and the War on Terror.

http://www.isthatlegal.org/Muller_and_R ... alkin.html

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 17 Nov 2006, 13:02

R. M. Schultz,

I read pretty much all of it up to part 5 and I did not see anything on Italian or German internment. In fact there was not much meat there at all. In fact I got bored!

Mike

LWD

Post by LWD » 17 Nov 2006, 14:48

A couple of things I find interesting about the internment:

The Japanese in Hawaii were not interned. I believe the territorial governer made a stand against it.

They acutally recuited in the internment camps. There is a very good book (whose title I forget) about an American of Japanese decent who was recurited from one of the itnernment camps and served in the Pacific. The courage that took was considerable given the likly fate if captured.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 17 Nov 2006, 15:17

One worth pursing on theis subject is the fate of the property of the internees from the Western States. Specificly the real estate the buildings and land they owned. Once interened few had any ability to pay secured loan payments, mortages, or property taxes. The usual course for nonpayment of such things if for the loan holder or taxing entity to enter court proceedings to take possesion of the properrty or have it publicly auctioned to pay the money due.

I've seen some third hand evidence that the primary benificiarys of the liqidation of Japanese/American property in California were a few bisiness associates of the Califonian politicians who pushed the hardest for evacuation & internement. I've also seen contradictory information that the property was controled by the Federal government during the internment.

If anyone has knowledge of the fate of this property & knowledge of any of the relationship of these politicians to the banks and eventual owners of any forclosed property it would a usefull adjunct to this thread.

I can note two items connecting this to my own German/American families expericence. A. In 1917, after the US formally entered WWI the barns & adjacent farm buildings of many farmers with German names were burned locally here, including my grandfathers barn. Although the pool of suspects was limited no leagal action was taken against anyone. B. In 1942 some of the locals expresed satisfaction with the Japanese/Americans & expressed hope in the same for the local German/Americans, with refrence to the fate of their property.

A related set of events would be the anti Afro/America race riots between 1915 & 1925. In several cities such as Chicago, the St Louis region, Oklahoma City prosperous African/American comunities were attacked by 'white rioters', and large scale property transfers seem to have occured in those districts afterwards.

Amyway it would be usefull to confirm what ultimatly happened to the Japaneses/American property.

Cantankerous

Re:

Post by Cantankerous » 23 May 2023, 03:57

LWD wrote:
17 Nov 2006, 14:48
A couple of things I find interesting about the internment:

The Japanese in Hawaii were not interned. I believe the territorial governer made a stand against it.

They acutally recuited in the internment camps. There is a very good book (whose title I forget) about an American of Japanese decent who was recurited from one of the itnernment camps and served in the Pacific. The courage that took was considerable given the likly fate if captured.
The Honouliuli Internment Camp near Waipahu on the island of O'ahu was used for interning Americans of Japanese and German heritage but also a handful of Italian Americans:
https://www.nps.gov/hono/learn/historyculture/index.htm

LineDoggie

Re: Internment of Japanese Americans

Post by LineDoggie » 23 May 2023, 06:07

1942 Nisei/Issei population of Hawaii was approximately 160K, 400 of them were interned (0.25%) at that camp.

1,875 (1.171875% )were sent to the mainland
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: Internment of Japanese Americans

Post by OpanaPointer » 23 May 2023, 12:31

The Governor of Hawaii refused to intern ALL Isei and Nisei. "The Islands' economy would collapse!"
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”