American 1st Platoon Company G, 304th Infantry 76th Division

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Nagelfar

American 1st Platoon Company G, 304th Infantry 76th Division

Post by Nagelfar » 13 Sep 2002 04:10

Does anybody have any information on this Division and where in germany it fought? I have a German 'Kriegsfahne' captured and signed by this entire division. it has no Kriegsmarine/Navy stamp, so I assume it was from a outpost or instillation captured by them. my goal is to discover where/what this flag is from. it is fairly large, I doubt if they used 11 feet by 6 foot 6 inch flags on tanks, or even if they used large battle flags within cities as they became warzones.. any information on this subject would be helpful.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 15 Sep 2002 17:50

Hello Nagelfar....

Assigned to 3rd Army January 1945, the 76th Division' first combat involvement was during the Moselle Campaign, on the right of the 5th Inf Div. On Feb 26, 45, the 304th secured a bridgehead at Wolsfeld across the Nims, and attacked the Katzendorf Fortress, and taking Hosten, Speicher and Karl. Crossed the Rhine on March 27, and involved in fierce house to house fighting in Kamberg. On April 4, 45, crossed the Werra River, taking Zeitz on April 15, and crossed the Mulde the following day. After establishing a bridgehead, the division remained static until the end of the war. It then performed occupation duties in Germany until it was inactivated in August 1945.

This may not help much, and will not give an answer how, and under what circumstances the 304th captured the flag, but it is a start. For a better start, you may want to go through the Army "GREEN BOOKS," beginning with the SPECIAL STUDIES, CHRONOLOGY 1941-1945, where the 76th Div is indexed. Unfortunately, the 304th is not separately indexed, but is mentioned in the text under the division's entries.

Good luck on you research....

Ogorek

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 16 Sep 2002 00:29

thank you ogorek...

katzendorf fortress looks like a possibility, but I dont want to assume anything

Return to “USA 1919-1945”