Broadcasting

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
POW
Banned

Broadcasting

Post by POW » 03 Apr 2002, 21:44

15 May 1945 was broadcasted following:
"The commander-in-chief of the Allied occupying forces in Germany, General Eisenhower, mentioned in a daily order to the units of his commant his displeasure, that partly the officers and soldiers treat the German prisoners of war not severe enough."

Who knows more about orders by Eisenhower in the same context?

Matt Gibbs

Göring

Post by Matt Gibbs » 03 Apr 2002, 22:54

Check up on a story about the guards and commander where Göring was held, I recall reading something about Ike being highly annoyed to hear that the guard commanders had had dinner with him and treated him in a specail manner as a high ranking prisoner. I read that he was allowed to take a bath before dinner and wear some of his reichsmarschall uniforms, given lunch and allowed to meet some of the his commanders including General Spaatz, aparently he was given champagne and treated to a meal at the Grand Hotel in Kitzbühel and this sort of fraternisation was what angered Eisenhower.
Regards

Tchort

Post by Tchort » 04 Apr 2002, 00:01

I don't have the links in front of me, but it is widely known/beleived Eisenhower purposelly let 1,000,000 German POWs die of starvation in the late '40's

Cantankerous

Re:

Post by Cantankerous » 13 Apr 2023, 03:06

Tchort wrote:
04 Apr 2002, 00:01
I don't have the links in front of me, but it is widely known/beleived Eisenhower purposelly let 1,000,000 German POWs die of starvation in the late '40's
The estimate of 1 million German POWs dying of starvation under Eisenhower's watch comes from James Bacque's 1989 book Other Losses. However, according to an article written by Stephen Ambrose in the New York Times in 1991:
In fact, as Albert Cowdrey of the Department of the Army's Center of Military History reported to the conference, the overall death rate among German prisoners was 1 percent. Mr. Cowdrey's conclusion, strongly supported by another conference participant, Maj. Ruediger Overmans of the German Office of Military History in Freiburg (who is writing the final volume of the official German history of the war), is that the total death by all causes of German prisoners in American hands could not have been greater than 56,000.

Links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other_Losses
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes ... ities.html

Return to “USA 1919-1945”