name of british general who forbade his staff to joke about Italians in his presence

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
ignacioosacar1

name of british general who forbade his staff to joke about Italians in his presence

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 04 May 2021, 04:33

I would like to know who was the British general who forbade his staff to make jokes of any kind about Italians in his presence. He had fought against them in Abyssinia and kept high respect for them. I remember that he was again engaged against Italians in Sicily or North Africa, I am not sure now. I read that a few years ago.

Cheers all !

Sid Guttridge

Re: name of british general who forbade his staff to joke about Italians in his presence

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 May 2021, 11:12

I would guess it would have to be the commander of either 4th or 5th Indian Divisions, because they were the only Commonwealth divisions to face stiff Italian resistance in East Africa.

Cheers,

Siid.

Attrition

Re: name of british general who forbade his staff to joke about Italians in his presence

Post by Attrition » 04 May 2021, 23:00

The 5th Indian Division went to the Far East rather than Sicily and Italy. Tuker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Tuker was the commander of the 4th Indian Division until the Second Battle off Monte Cassino.

ignacioosacar1

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 05 May 2021, 21:06

Thank you very much for your help Sid Guttridge and Attrition.

Cheers !

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”