South African Infantry Battalions

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
kereguelen

South African Infantry Battalions

Post by kereguelen » 26 May 2023, 10:16

Hello,

I'm looking for information about the composition of South African infantry battalions.

Specifically for information about the battalions that served in North Africa.

As far as I know, they had a different organization than British and other British Empire infantry battalions: Three rifle companies and a support company instead of four rifle companies and a HQ company.

But how was the support company organized? Did it contain a carrier platoon? I've found no mention of any Universal Carriers serving as part of South African battalions fighting in the Western Desert.

And I've never seen a War Establishment table for them, which would be different to other British Empire War Establishments anyway, due to the presence of Cape Corps and Native Military Corps soldiers in South African military units.

I've only found a reference about the infantry/motor battalions of 6th SA Armoured Division receiving Universal Carriers in Italy. But no mention when they received them; I assume that they only received them in 1944, when they finally changed their organization to four rifle companies and a HQ company, but even this is somewhat speculative.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many Thanks!

David W

Re: South African Infantry Battalions

Post by David W » 26 May 2023, 22:41

Hi.

I asked much the same question on another WWII forum, and this was the answer I received......

960 men, 70x Sub M/gs, 37x Brens, 17x M/Mgs, 9x 3" Mortars & 16x 2Pdrs, spread between 3x Rifle Companies & 1x Support Company. (Theoretical)

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 27 May 2023, 21:15

Well if that was the answer you will need a date for it. Can't be 1941.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

David W

Post by David W » 28 May 2023, 08:18

Hi Urmel.

It was only a theoretical or "on paper" , not an actual. It was for 1942 I think. ( I will have to check back).

What info do you have?

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 28 May 2023, 09:56

TO&E about 740-760 whites, 140-160 non-whites actual. No guns with the battalions, although possible that they were detached to them from divisional AT regiments. Vickers platoon existed at least in Regiment Botha (13 platoon). Carriers were 'armoured car carriers' (whatever that is) it appears, not universal carriers.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

kereguelen

Post by kereguelen » 08 Jun 2023, 13:35

Many thanks for all responses!

@David: Yes, your establishment looks like 1942 or 1943

@Urmel: 'Armoured car carriers' could be a reference to Marmon-Herrington armoured cars used to temporarily 'motorize' SA infantry battalions by employing them as troop carriers. Seems that the Marmon-Herrington's were sometimes used for this by the South-Africans in the Western Desert.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”