Miles M.24 Master Fighter...

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Bessar

Re: Miles M.24 Master Fighter...

Post by Bessar » 29 Apr 2009, 04:50

I remember reading about the M.24 years ago. (I thought it was in Len Deighton's book "Fighter" but when I checked my copy--nothing. Here is where someone with a better library needs to come forward!)

IIRC one of the modifications to the Master fighter was enlargement of openings in bulkheads aft of the cockpit for (presumably) duplicated control-cable runs. This resulted in weakness that caused several of the aircraft to suffer structural failure either in flight or on landing.

I would guess the survivors were scrapped.

Again, this is just a recollection that needs to be verified. I am offering it as a point for further research, not to be an insufferable know-it-all! :lol:

phylo_roadking

Re: Miles M.24 Master Fighter...

Post by phylo_roadking » 29 Apr 2009, 05:10

IIRC one of the modifications to the Master fighter was enlargement of openings in bulkheads aft of the cockpit for (presumably) duplicated control-cable runs. This resulted in weakness that caused several of the aircraft to suffer structural failure either in flight or on landing
I take it you mean the existing openings - that took the trainer's duplicated controls - were enlarged? At a guess this was done to try and shave off weight , on the (erroneous) basis that if the design could ALREADY handle a swiss-cheese bulkhead it could stand a little more :lol: "Adding lightness" doesn't always work... :wink:

hmscollingwood

Re: Miles M.24 Master Fighter... Ireland Casualty

Post by hmscollingwood » 09 Dec 2017, 19:38

December 21, 1940 Miles Master I N8009 Unknown RAF 307 (Polish) Sqn., Jurby, Isle of Man Louth Dungooley, Dundalk (Drungooley ?) 0 2 "P/O Aubrey Richard COVINGTON 42591 (Int)
P/O William Allan PROCTOR 78950 (Int)(Esc) "
Photos at left, (L) P/O Covington - (R) P/O Proctor. Aircraft was flying from Ringway to Jurby, crew had to force land in Ireland and both were interned. Aircraft had turned over during apparent attempt at taking off. Aircraft was dismantled at the site and removed to Dundalk barracks by the 27 Dec. Later bought by the Air Corps, renumbered No. 96, port wing, rudder unit, propeller, forward fuselage; elevator and other large sub assemblies needed to be replaced. I couldn't find a loss card for this in RAF Museum. Proctor escaped from internment in July 1941. Proctor was an Engineering Officer from the Squadron and rose to the rank of Flight Leiutenant in 1943. He was a prewar member of Strathay Flying Club and passed away in 1979 in Chelsea, London aged 64. Covington was released in October 1943 as part of the general release. He returned to combat duty with the RAF until the end of the war, his story is told here at this link.
[Refs: Keefer GinI p.171 & 242 for Full names; MA File G2/X/0610 missing and reviewed salvage operation in ACF-S-61. AM Form 78 via M. Gleeson; Dwyer p.46; IMA #B7 ; Quinn p.19; Robertson p.139; ABS agrees;]

http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”