Simpson's 'Nazi past' led to abdication

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Marcus

Simpson's 'Nazi past' led to abdication

Post by Marcus » 10 Jan 2003, 23:00

Newly released FBI files suggest the alleged Nazi connections of Wallis Simpson prevented her marrying King Edward while he was monarch.
The revelations are contrary to the long-held belief that the stumbling block was the American's status as a divorcee.
King Edward abdicated the throne in December 1936, following a constitutional crisis, and married her in exile the following year.
These FBI files were written in the 1940s but are now released under America's Freedom of Information Act.
They suggest stronger connections between the Duchess of Windsor - as she was known after marriage - and the Germans than previously believed.
The documents are a combination of surveillance, informants and hearsay.
One memo said that the British Government, headed by Stanley Baldwin, had known for some time that the Duchess was exceedingly pro-German in her sympathies.
The FBI believed she was considered so obnoxious by the British that they refused to permit Edward to marry her.
Reports emerged last year that the FBI also sent agents to spy on the royal couple after allegations that the Duchess might have been passing secrets to a leading Nazi with whom she was thought to have had an affair.
It is suggested the surveillance had been ordered after President Roosevelt expressed concern about the couple's politics.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2644123.stm

/Marcus

Angelo

Post by Angelo » 12 Jan 2003, 09:40

Though I never dug that deep into the matter, I would think is quite possible, if only basing on the well known facts that she was quite welcome
among the Nazi hyerarchy in Germany.

As for me, it's just like accepting something that was quite obvious even
before the latest revelations.

But I might be wrong.

Regards.

Angelo

alsaco

The Edward Windsor case

Post by alsaco » 13 Jan 2003, 15:14

Wrong, I do not think you are,

In fact there is a mistery, well kept by the british government, on the general problem of Edward, Prince of Wales, position toward aristocratic power and populist tendancies, implications around his marriage, and situation when he stayed in Portugal, July 1940.

No archives on the probem have emerged from Berlin and other places, but Special Services are suspected to have conducted a hunt for documents in 1945, to avoid implicating of the king's brother, should some facts come to light.

Some books have been published on Mrs Simpson connexions with german officials, and on suspect people having helped the Duke of Windsor, but no proof is given, only conjectures

Angelo

Post by Angelo » 13 Jan 2003, 16:20

Well, very interesting.

I'm sure if anything exists, they'll keep it safely hidden till the next
4th. Reich, maybe (let's hope my kidding will remain such for all
centuries to come) :D

But thanks for the news.

Regards.

Angelo

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes » 23 Jan 2003, 14:19

But the fourth Reich is already here. the EU, man!

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”