Wanting to find details on the death of a family member

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Gwynn Compton

Wanting to find details on the death of a family member

Post by Gwynn Compton » 19 Jan 2003, 11:11

I unfortunately don't have much information, and I'm trying to find out whether this is a piece of family folk lore, or it actually happened.

The story goes, that some great uncle of ours was flying for the RAF out of Scotland raiding German forces in Norway. Having completed one raid, they returned home, returning at nightfall they found the airfield's lights were all shut off due to a German raid. Our relatives plane missed the airfield and met a hillside nearby, providing the light for other planes to land.

That's all I know of the story, I know it's a long shot to find out more, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Gwynn

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 19 Jan 2003, 14:45

Hi Gwynn

I have seen a website about wartime plane crash sites within the UK, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name.

If you have your relatives Sqn No then at least we could narrow the seach down somewhat.

:D Andy from the Shire

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 19 Jan 2003, 22:53

Or maybe a date?

Erik

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 20 Jan 2003, 22:02

The name will be enough I reckon, the information shouldnt take too long to find and I will be pleased to help.

cheers
Pete

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 01 Feb 2003, 02:28

Hi Gwynn

Hope this is of some help. Came across a book called Hell on High Ground by D.Earl, the second volumne of a 2 vol series detailing all the wartime crash sites in the UK, with personnel lost etc and details of the crash,the crash site and oictures of any remaining wreckage.

The books are published by Airlife Publications and I believe they have a website.

If you have any more details, even just the year of the crash I'll go back to the bookstore and take notes from it.

Andy

Colbro

Post by Colbro » 04 Feb 2003, 22:42

Because this was a wartime incident and your relative was on active service, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission will have the responsibility for his commemoration. If you give his name and the approx date, they will be able to tell you the details you require. If you look on the web (do a search on Yahoo) you'll find their website and the info should be there, also.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 05 Feb 2003, 01:31

Colbro, good call forgot about that, link is below

http://www.cwgc.org/

Andy

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”