Unserviceable Lorries - Jul - Sep 44

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
RichTO90

Re: Unserviceable Lorries - Jul - Sep 44

Post by RichTO90 » 08 Apr 2010, 22:04

Tom from Cornwall wrote:During this intense period of activity the maintenance of vehicles inevitably had to be reduced, but partly due to the majority of vehicles being new no serious ill effects ensued. A major fault occurred in the engines of K-5 4x4, three-ton Austins, 1,400 of which, as well as all the replacement engines, were found to be defective and to have piston trouble."
To be clear, those are two different sentences. Rewritten for a little more clarity they would be...

First issue: Reduced maintenance activity was neccessary due to operational restrictions, but it had no serious ill effects upon the majority of 'B' Echelon vehicles, which were mostly new.

Second issue: However, of all those 'B' Echelon vehicles maintenance was a major problem for 1,400 of them and their replacement engines, which were found to be defective.

See?
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 08 Apr 2010, 22:50

For the Austins it was a loose-loose situation....

1/ greater demands for longer trips day-in, day-out meant less downtime available for maintenance...

2/ ...all this extra mileage day after ay was being done on "overload"...

3/ there was a problem with their engines I.E. accelerated wear on certain components.

They could have possibly not encountered the major break-down rate issue IF only one or perhaps two of those factors had been encountered at once - after all, the was no major issue with the rest of the Allies' truck types during that period of extra-long road trips before Antwerp opened. But as it was, they couldn't survive all three encountered together....

But it was a sh1t of a situation for the Allies to get themselves in. They should have anticipated some form of problem emerging due to the huge extra effort involved coupled with a lack of maintenance time...? Or did the British simply think "wear" stopped when you got out of the sand??? :lol: Accelerated wear on vehicles designed for Western Europe was something they'd lived with for three years...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 09 Apr 2010, 20:10

Rich,

Yawn, :lol:
Oh, wait, I forgot, you don't believe there really was a logistical problem in the ETO
What I actually wrote back in October on t'other thread was:
1. Given the state of port capacity and transportation resources available on the continent during September 1944 was the use made of them by SHAEF the most profitable, or could a different allocation of resources have avoided some of the hideous attritional battles of Autumn 1944; if not perhaps allow any thrust to reach all the way to Berlin.

2. Was the reason that Eisenhower insisted on splitting his resources between a northern thrust and a southern thrust due to his military philosophy, political pressure from Washington, national pressure from the American contingent in SHAEF or his natural tendency to compromise between the demands of his rather strong-minded subordinates.
But if you want to think that I don't believe there was a "logistical problem in the ETO", then fill your boots... :lol: But it is very boring to be told what you believe, isn't it!! :wink:

Re the subject of this thread, ie, the Austin K-5 lorries [which is why I brought this discussion to another section of the forum, so we wouldn't bore ourselves rigid with more "Broad v Narrow Front" discussions :P ], you wrote:
At the end of September it was discovered that 1,400 of the new lorries were defective. By a week later 80 had been repaired...so it was only another 17 weeks at tha rate before the problem would be cleared up.
But what it says in the REME SITREPs is:

"21 ARMY GROUP REME SITREP WEEK ENDING 28 SEP 44

6. 150 Austin 3-ton 4x4 lorries are now in Adv Base Wksps for fitting new pistons and rings."

"21 ARMY GROUP REME SITREP WEEK ENDING 5 OCT 44

3. 80 of the Austin 3-ton 4x4 lorries, suffering from excessive oil consumption, have now had new pistons and rings fitted."

Which, if you compare it with the 21 AG Administrative History is not the same thing:

"(c) vehicle maintenance
During this intense period of activity the maintenance of vehicles inevitably had to be reduced, but partly due to the majority of vehicles being new no serious ill effects ensued. A major fault occurred in the engines of K-5 4x4, three-ton Austins, 1,400 of which, as well as all the replacement engines, were found to be defective and to have piston trouble."

So, if you are right that "at the end of September it was discovered that 1,400 of the new lorries were defective", why were there only 150 in the Advanced Workshops durign the week ending 28 Sep; does defective mean unusable? Does excessive oil consumption mean unusable? Did the new pistons and rings fitted cure the problem? Is there anybody out there? :oops: oops, got a bit carried away in philosophical questioning mode!

The way I see it at the moment is:
1. A total of 1,400 Austin K-5 3-ton lorries in 21 AG suffered from excessive oil consumption due to piston damage caused by the introduction of higher octane petrol - but we are still not sure what "defective" means for logistic capacity - off the road, burning lots of oil, having to be run at half speed...who knows? Not me...
2. 150 of these were in REME Advanced Workshops during the week ending 28 Sep.
3. During the next week, 80 had new pistons and rings fitted - note I don't say "repaired" - where does it say the fix worked, ie, are we really sure that the fix fixed it...
4. That's about all I think we can say for certain until more details are unearthed in the records - anything more would be speculation.
5. So, what we don't know is whether such and such a RASC coy operated during Sep 44 at only say 60% capacity because it's Austins were in the workshop, which would it is true lead me to believe that the Austin K-5 defect had affected the logistical capacity of 21 AG. Now I see where my next day in Kew will be spent!
6. Re the difference between REME stock and reserves: I think I clued in on that when I wrote "8210 stock (being fixed/maintained?) vehicles" and that "there were at least 1700 'B' vehicles in 21 Army group's GHQ reserve on 1 Sep 44".

It would be nice if people read what you wrote wouldn't it. :wink:

Lastly, and in the interest of open-minded discussion, I should mention that I have had second thoughts as to using the comparison of the number of 'B' vehicles in GHQ reserve/REME stock with the number of Austin K-5's off the road, as I would guess that 'B' vehicles includes a lot of stuff that is not a 3-ton lorry. :) I wonder if any of these figures are broken down any more... :idea: Back to the records, sigh...

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 09 Apr 2010, 20:21

Rich wrote:
To be clear, those are two different sentences. Rewritten for a little more clarity they would be...

First issue: Reduced maintenance activity was neccessary due to operational restrictions, but it had no serious ill effects upon the majority of 'B' Echelon vehicles, which were mostly new.

Second issue: However, of all those 'B' Echelon vehicles maintenance was a major problem for 1,400 of them and their replacement engines, which were found to be defective.

See?
Thanks, now if I could ask you to define:
1. "major problem".
2. "defective".
3. and then go on to provide evidence to support your definitions, ie man hours the repairs took, number of repair kits in theatre, average weekly repair time of other vehicles, specific loads that could not be carried because these vehicles were off the road, whether they were all off the road from first discovery of the problem until each had been through the repair, etc, etc.

Then I think I would truly "see?".

Until then I think I prefer to retain my healthy scepticism for now, if you don't mind too much. :lol: :lol:

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 09 Apr 2010, 20:28

Phylo,
Tom, I don't think you're right there - this was the era of "monobloc" engines in Britain' automotive industry - cast iron cylinders/integral waterjackets all of a piece with the top half of the crankcase for heavy-duty items like lorry engines Swapping pistons and rings isn't just a case of pulling the head, then the cylinder block, swapping pistons then sliding the cylinders back on over clamped-up rings....it's a full strip-down.

This is confirmed about the extra little factlet about spare whole engines being affected - REME wouldn't resort to setting up a maintenance line to do something major like hundreds of engine strip-downs UNLESS it was the only way. The FIRST thing that would be done for a really major breakdown was to swap engines and get broken lorry out to its unit sharpish then just repair the sidelined donk at their leisure...

Obviously "finding the spare engines were the same" was done BY fitting the spare engines and finding out they wore as fast!
Thanks for the information re "monobloc" engines - I didn't know about that, hmmm...maybe I need to have a look at some of the war diaries of the workshops, maybe they might tell me something more. I was also thinking about the REME museum, see if anyone there could help me out. Are you really sure these lorries were "broken" though, not running rough, burning oil, do we really mean 1,400 lorries totally kaput?

Cheers for the help!

Tom

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 09 Apr 2010, 20:55

Are you really sure these lorries were "broken" though, not running rough, burning oil, do we really mean 1,400 lorries totally kaput?
Well - if underpower, smoking, rough....and unable to maintain convoy speed on "overload" - means unfit for the job in hand...that's "broken" :wink: :D
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 09 Apr 2010, 22:02

Tom from Cornwall wrote:What I actually wrote back in October on t'other thread was:
Oh, you mean I'm supposed to read what you wrote? I thought I was supposed to give my kneejerk, chauvinistic, American-centric answer? :lol:
At the end of September it was discovered that 1,400 of the new lorries were defective. By a week later 80 had been repaired...so it was only another 17 weeks at tha rate before the problem would be cleared up.

But what it says in the REME SITREPs is:

"21 ARMY GROUP REME SITREP WEEK ENDING 28 SEP 44

6. 150 Austin 3-ton 4x4 lorries are now in Adv Base Wksps for fitting new pistons and rings."

"21 ARMY GROUP REME SITREP WEEK ENDING 5 OCT 44

3. 80 of the Austin 3-ton 4x4 lorries, suffering from excessive oil consumption, have now had new pistons and rings fitted."

Which, if you compare it with the 21 AG Administrative History is not the same thing:

"(c) vehicle maintenance
During this intense period of activity the maintenance of vehicles inevitably had to be reduced, but partly due to the majority of vehicles being new no serious ill effects ensued. A major fault occurred in the engines of K-5 4x4, three-ton Austins, 1,400 of which, as well as all the replacement engines, were found to be defective and to have piston trouble."

So, if you are right that "at the end of September it was discovered that 1,400 of the new lorries were defective", why were there only 150 in the Advanced Workshops durign the week ending 28 Sep; does defective mean unusable? Does excessive oil consumption mean unusable? Did the new pistons and rings fitted cure the problem? Is there anybody out there? :oops: oops, got a bit carried away in philosophical questioning mode!
Um, it doesn't matter if I'm "right" since that is what the documentation says too. Where I think you are getting yourself twisted around the axle is resolving what you see as a discrepency, which I fail to see at all.

The 21st Army Group Admin History notes that the overall problem - 1,400 defective lorries and replacement engines - was discovered, although it might be questioned as to just when the extent of the problem was discovered. Either way though, given that the weekly army group maintenance situation saw 8,000+ 'B' vehicles requiring servicing and something over half returned to service, the sudden influx of 1,400 vehicles for major repairs probably would have been a bit much for the system. The evidence though seems to indicate that the problem was ongoning - in the week ending 28 September 150 were found defective, put into the maintenance system and 80 repaired by the end of the next week. And then probably another 150 started showing the problem and so on until it was realized that all 1,400 were defective.

Ask yourself if you have ever had a vehicle that suffered from excess oil consumption? My son did, didn't bother to tell me about it, and "solved" it by adding oil regularly...until he forgot and the engine threw a rod through the block. :lol:

So yes, the answer is a defective engine doesn't mean an unusable vehicle, until the problem escalates. Otherwise you are splitting hairs for no good reason. :lol:
The way I see it at the moment is:
1. A total of 1,400 Austin K-5 3-ton lorries in 21 AG suffered from excessive oil consumption due to piston damage caused by the introduction of higher octane petrol - but we are still not sure what "defective" means for logistic capacity - off the road, burning lots of oil, having to be run at half speed...who knows? Not me...
But if you look at the overall logistical picture you find increased distances, increased road speeds, increased driver fatigue, and lowered maintenance. By mid September the backlog of repairs in 12th Army Group was about 2,500 vehicles...with another 40,000 tires alone needing replacement or repair. Two weeks later the backlog had increased to 5,750. Another measure of the wear and tear was that 55,059 replacement tires were issued during September, nearly twice the June-August monthly average.

BTW, the standard American QM Medium Truck Company consisted of 48 2.5-ton trucks of which 40 were expected to be on the road and 8 undergoing maintenance at any one time. Circa 15 August 55 were issued 10 extra trucks each and 1,400 temporary duty men as drivers to try to make up for the increased load. Also during August 21st Army Group loaned 300 to 360 3, 6 and 10 ton trucks (6 or 7 above average capacity truck companies) to 12th Army Group, mainly used for Third Army supply. The loan was trucks as well as 3 to 4 complete UK truck companies (i.e., including the personnel).
2. 150 of these were in REME Advanced Workshops during the week ending 28 Sep.
Were the REME Advanced Workshops the same as the "2nd, 3rd and 4th Line Wksps, RVPs, AODs & BPs" Or are they talking about one part of the maintenance system - 1st Line Workshops? Or was that the REME LAD?
3. During the next week, 80 had new pistons and rings fitted - note I don't say "repaired" - where does it say the fix worked, ie, are we really sure that the fix fixed it...
No, we don't know, but it's irrelevent anyway since it is the maintenance load that is important and that was already larger than that at 12th US Army Group, although I suspect the number of vehicles in each army group were similar.
4. That's about all I think we can say for certain until more details are unearthed in the records - anything more would be speculation.
Well then trot on over to Kew and collect the rest of the weekly REME states. :lol:
5. So, what we don't know is whether such and such a RASC coy operated during Sep 44 at only say 60% capacity because it's Austins were in the workshop, which would it is true lead me to believe that the Austin K-5 defect had affected the logistical capacity of 21 AG. Now I see where my next day in Kew will be spent!
Well, if all the K-5 were assigned to the Army transport pool the loss of 1,400 would be significant since the pool, if similar to that of the US forces, was probably on the order of 8,000 vehicles. In that case the 1,400 represent a potential drop in serviceability of 17% over the expected serviceabaility rate, which for the US was 17% (8/48)...i.e, potentially up to doubling the expected serviceability rate. 8O
6. Re the difference between REME stock and reserves: I think I clued in on that when I wrote "8210 stock (being fixed/maintained?) vehicles" and that "there were at least 1700 'B' vehicles in 21 Army group's GHQ reserve on 1 Sep 44".

It would be nice if people read what you wrote wouldn't it. :wink:
Well, I did read it, but if you were certain of your conclusion you shouldn't have put in the "?" :lol:

BTW, in early September 12th Army Group drew 1,500 vehicles from its "reserve" and gave them to 26th, 94th, and 104th ID, which combined them with their own vehicles and personnel to field 40 provisional truck companies (1,920-2,420 trucks in total), while 18 field artillery battalions, 12 provided by the divisions and 6 from Army troops (sorry Cannonade, I had forgotten about that) provided 450 medium and 200 light trucks and AAA battalions another 340 light and medium trucks. So an increase of 3,100 vehicles, plus the 550 additional assigned to the QM companies, plus the trucks of the roughly 160 QM companies in France (7,680), made up the transport pool...call it 12,000 or so in total. Note that some of those were tractor-trailer companies and that does not include the gasoline supply companies (which were badly overstretched) or the tank transporter companies that had been pressed into service (affecting the operational state of the tanks), or the vehicles of the other combat and service units in theater. For the 21-odd divisions on the continent by the end of August (not including those in Sothern France) that's 30,000+ vehicles.
Lastly, and in the interest of open-minded discussion, I should mention that I have had second thoughts as to using the comparison of the number of 'B' vehicles in GHQ reserve/REME stock with the number of Austin K-5's off the road, as I would guess that 'B' vehicles includes a lot of stuff that is not a 3-ton lorry. :) I wonder if any of these figures are broken down any more... :idea: Back to the records, sigh...
Well, with a fairly complete OB you can recreate the requirement from the TO&E of the units. Another way would be to look at the total number of vehicles unloaded, but unfortunately that seems to have been recorded only spottily. :cry:

Cheers!
Richard Anderson
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: the 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day
Stackpole Books, 2009.

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 10 Apr 2010, 14:13

Tom,

Another thing that I have been thinking about is the total impact/resources used on these 1400 trucks and their defective engines.

1. A team designed this truck
2. A factory was set up to build this truck
3. A similar team designed the engine
4. A factory was set up to build the engines
5. Raw materials and labor that could of been used building something useful was spent build this defective piece of equipment.
6. Men were trained to drive and maintain this vehicle
7. A supply chain of spare parts was put in place to support this vehicle
8. The defective equipment was shipped from the UK to France.
9. Manpower was used to load this vehicle to move supplies to the forward elements
10. Somewhere along the line the vehicle broke down and was either towed in for repair or limped in on its own
11. Manpower, equipment, tools, were employed to fix the problem
12. Word was sent back to the factory that produced the engine to fix the problem and to provide replacement parts
13. Replacement parts were then packaged and shipped to the units (hopefully) that needed them
14. Eventually the truck was fixed and put back into service
15. The innocent were shot and the guilty had moved on to screw-up another war winning item!

I am sure an economist could break this down into each individual component part with manpower hours estimated and money and time wasted, etc.
I think 1400 trucks is a big deal, that is a lot of trucks!! Did they only build 1400 of these trucks total? Or were thousands and thousands built?

Mike
PS while at Kew, look for the estimate of the single thrust.

The_Enigma

Post by The_Enigma » 10 Apr 2010, 15:31

Raw materials and labor that could of been used building something useful was spent build this defective piece of equipment.
But going off the info from the first page they didnt build a defective piece of equipment; between 9 and 10 it should probably read the 'Government screwed a bunch of people over' hence 11) 'Somewhere along the line the vehicle broke down'

:p

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 10 Apr 2010, 18:14

Yes, that shouldn't be lost sight of - if these trucks hadn't been driving from Normandy to Holland every day, and overloaded...and this emergency regime hadn't ALSO cut into maintenance time - then the K5 would have been as reliable as when prototyped/tested.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 11 Apr 2010, 16:53

Gents,

Thanks for all the replies - I've not got time to make a considered reply so I will have to get back to you later next week. :) But briefly:

Rich, I looked at REME Sitreps for Aug through to Nov 44, and that was the only reference to Austin K-5s I could find. Next time I go I will continue my search through till 1945. As for your comment that:
the sudden influx of 1,400 vehicles for major repairs probably would have been a bit much for the system
that's what I'm trying to find out, was it a "sudden influx" or a gradual repair job. I don't think what I have found in REME sitreps tells us for sure either way, but I'm sure the information will be there somewhere, I'll just have to go on digging for it.

Mike, I looked at 21 AG Q(Plans) war diary for Aug 44 and found a document referring to 21 AG ops north of the Seine. When I get the chance I will have a read through it and see if it refers to Montgomery's proposal of 18 Aug, but there didn't appear to be a Q(Plans) assessment directly related to the single/broad thrust issue.

Phylo, were these lorries really driving from Holland to Normandy every day? I thought that 21 AG used the FMC system. So 21 AG tpt resources would clear from the RMA in Normandy to the Army Roadhead in Brussels, 2 Army tpt resources would then pick up army demands and move them forward to the FMC from which Corps tpt would shift forward to Divisions...do we know which units used these particular lorries?

Regards

Tom

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 11 Apr 2010, 21:09

Phylo, were these lorries really driving from Holland to Normandy every day? I thought that 21 AG used the FMC system. So 21 AG tpt resources would clear from the RMA in Normandy to the Army Roadhead in Brussels
Tom - it probably didn't matter that they were depoting in Brussels rather than right up to the Dutch border behind the front line! It's still 240 crow miles Caen to Brussels, or nearly 300 miles on the modern road network - one way 8O

As for doing it daily - when this was discussed on ww2talk, one of the veterans there was a driver on the route, and confirmed the strictures of the process on man and machine. He was quite adamant that HE never heard of any major mechanical issues at the time...but then again, it took some time for him to grasp that the thread was talking about the K5, while he had driven a Bedford! 8O :lol:

As for handling repairs to 1,400 truck engines...no it wouldn't have overloaded the system, a parallel servicing line would most probably have been set up for a time. As an example, between the end of the fighting in North Africa and the invasion of Italy, GM (IIRC, there was a photo-spread in a copy of CMV 2-3 years ago) set up a reconditioning "production line"-style depot in North Africa and reconditioned @8,000 trucks!

One thing to remember is...a full engine rebuild and all that entails would actually REDUCE the repaired K5s maintenance regime for a few thousands miles after that! 8O

P.S. I THINK a "Screamer" just nearly knocked down a kid at the start of tonight's "Foyle's War" as I typed that! 8O

The_Enigma

Post by The_Enigma » 11 Apr 2010, 22:25

phylo_roadking wrote:As for doing it daily - when this was discussed on ww2talk, one of the veterans there was a driver on the route, and confirmed the strictures of the process on man and machine. He was quite adamant that HE never heard of any major mechanical issues at the time...but then again, it took some time for him to grasp that the thread was talking about the K5, while he had driven a Bedford! 8O :lol:
Intresting however, even though he drove a bedford one would assume that with so many trucks apprently breaking down rumours would spread etc ... granted hes just one man and may not have heard anything .... i didnt realise a person in the office was missing for three weeks until they annouced they sacked her! :lol:

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 11 Apr 2010, 22:34

Given the regime they were under at the time....not much time for chinwagging? 8O

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 12 Apr 2010, 14:35

You guys have got to stop using British slang and acroynms that I am not familiar with!! :D It is driving me crazy, okay, granted I would not have to be driven far! :P Define them at least once and then use them as you see fit.

examples:
P.S. I THINK a "Screamer" just nearly knocked down a kid at the start of tonight's "Foyle's War" as I typed that!
21 AG tpt resources
FMC system
Please define? In American please, I am afraid to ask for it in English, because I may not understand! :P
Tom wrote:Mike, I looked at 21 AG Q(Plans) war diary for Aug 44 and found a document referring to 21 AG ops north of the Seine. When I get the chance I will have a read through it and see if it refers to Montgomery's proposal of 18 Aug, but there didn't appear to be a Q(Plans) assessment directly related to the single/broad thrust issue.
I have a little quote from Major General Kennedy's book on or about that date, I will try to punch it in, it may help.
PS. I am sorry, wrong book, on second thoughts it may be in the book "Send for Freddie"

Mike
Last edited by Delta Tank on 12 Apr 2010, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”