2/3 Australian Anti Tank Regiment

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
BillMc

Re: 2/3 Australian Anti Tank Regiment

Post by BillMc » 30 Apr 2015, 06:36

I also have a copy of Target Tank. My father (Sgt Bill McCarthy) also gave me his photo album.

My intention is to start a Facebook Page and scan these tiny (2" x 1.1/2") pics, enlarge them and post on there.

Watch this space.

David W

Post by David W » 01 May 2015, 07:26

Superb!

Thank you.

Gunner R.G

Post by Gunner R.G » 24 Jun 2015, 11:37

Hi all,

my Grandfather fought with the 2/1st Tank Attack [Anti-Tank] Regiment during the Second World War. He was part of the 6th Division that was sent to the U.K to reinforce the British against a possible German invasion. Arriving there with the 2/1st Machine Gun Battalion, he was transferred to the newly-formed 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment, before being set to the Middle East, then Greece.

I am aware that this Regiment fought at the Battle of Vevi in Greece before the full-evacuation. He was not sent on to Crete, but luckily back to Alexandria.

My questions to any that might be able to answer are; (1) Where were the 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment deployed to during the Western Desert campaign in Libya and Egypt before the withdrawal of the 6th Division to fight in Greece? I am aware that he was in the Middle East at this time, going by his War Service Record. (2) Where were the 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment based at after their return from Greece to the Middle East? I have read of similar Regiments being sent to Syria. (3) Is anyone aware which Brigade the 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment was mainly attached to/stationed with? (4) My final question - Does anybody here happen to possess the book called 'On Your Feet - An Account of 2 Battery of the 2/1 Australian Tank Attack Regiment'? This publication would be of great assistance to me as my Grandfather served with the 3rd Battery.

Any assistance regarding these questions would be highly appreciated as I am finding this Regiment quite difficult to research.

Best Regards,

R.G.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 24 Jun 2015, 18:49

Gunner R.G wrote:Hi all,

my Grandfather fought with the 2/1st Tank Attack [Anti-Tank] Regiment during the Second World War. He was part of the 6th Division that was sent to the U.K to reinforce the British against a possible German invasion. Arriving there with the 2/1st Machine Gun Battalion, he was transferred to the newly-formed 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment, before being set to the Middle East, then Greece.

I am aware that this Regiment fought at the Battle of Vevi in Greece before the full-evacuation. He was not sent on to Crete, but luckily back to Alexandria.

My questions to any that might be able to answer are; (1) Where were the 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment deployed to during the Western Desert campaign in Libya and Egypt before the withdrawal of the 6th Division to fight in Greece? I am aware that he was in the Middle East at this time, going by his War Service Record. (2) Where were the 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment based at after their return from Greece to the Middle East? I have read of similar Regiments being sent to Syria. (3) Is anyone aware which Brigade the 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment was mainly attached to/stationed with? (4) My final question - Does anybody here happen to possess the book called 'On Your Feet - An Account of 2 Battery of the 2/1 Australian Tank Attack Regiment'? This publication would be of great assistance to me as my Grandfather served with the 3rd Battery.

Any assistance regarding these questions would be highly appreciated as I am finding this Regiment quite difficult to research.

Best Regards,

R.G.

Re
1) It arrived in Egypt from the Uk about the same time that the rest of 6 Div started its part in Op Compass in Lybia. A couple of months later the Division was withdrawn to Egypt where it was reunited with the 2/1st Atk which probably stayed in Egypt
2) 2/1st Anti tank took part in the operation against Vichy forces in Syria in June-July.
3) As part of the 6th British Division. One troop serving with British troops on the Iraqi Syrian border lost two dead and four wounded.

Source David Horner "Australian Artillery at War"

Gunner R.G

Post by Gunner R.G » 26 Jun 2015, 10:20

Hello there,

(1). Yes, it did. My Grandfather's Battery arrived in Egypt on the 29th of December, 1940. Although I am un-sure exactly which Battery he was in at this stage, but most likely the 3rd. Would you be able to tell me what they were doing in Egypt during this 3-month period before the Greek Campaign?

(2.) Thank you for clarifying that the 2/1st Anti-Tank had indeed fought in Syria. His Service Record states he was again in the Middle East from May 1941 until April 1942, so that makes sense. It was during this time that he graded as a "Group III Gunlayer", any idea what that means?

(3.) That's interesting that you note they were attached to the 6th British Division. Is that the same as the 6th Division AIF? Is there any way I would be able to find out further about this Iraqi-Syrian Border patrolling, concerning the 2/1st Anti-Tank?

Thanks very much for your time.

Best regards,

R.G.

Nasho23

Post by Nasho23 » 30 Aug 2015, 06:06

Since 2009 I have been involved in a Project to setup an Australian National Rats of Tobruk Membership Database and Website. This Website, based in Melbourne, Australia ::: http://ratsoftobrukvictoria.org.au ::: is the only such Website for the Rats of Tobruk in the World.
Whilst I currently have 6000 + Rats of Tobruk listed on the Database, I would like to get more, if at all possible.
Would it be possible for an Owner of the Book "Target Tank", to kindly photocopy the Nominal Roll from the back of the book, in an easily readable PDF format, and email it to me at ::: [email protected] ::: I would appreciate that very much as it would allow me to get many more Famous Rats added to my National ROTA Database.
Australian Descendants or Relatives of Rats of Tobruk are entitled to apply for Affiliate Membership of the Last Remaining, Active,Rats of Tobruk Association, in Australia, and the World, to assist in keeping it Alive and Functioning, into the Future, in Honour of the Memory of the Rats of Tobruk. Current Affiliate Membership is 350 with a Target of 500 before April 2016, 75th Anniversary of the Siege of Tobruk.
A Membership Interest Form is available on the Website - Membership/Membership Interest.
Regards
Owen Carlton
A Proud Nasho, ROTA Affil N0003

gbedford

Post by gbedford » 07 Feb 2016, 04:55

Gunner R.G wrote:Hi all,

Best Regards,

R.G.
Fantastic Gunner RG

My Dad 2/1st Tank Attack [Anti-Tank] Regiment. You are the first person I have heard from with any connection to the regiment since meeting some of Dad's comrades when I was a young boy.
What you have said seems correct.Dad told me many stories but since he died 4 years ago I realise I didn't write enough down. I remember him saying that that after arriving in Egypt they followed along behind the 6th Div and the 7th armoured, spent a short time at the new front line and then drove all the way back to Alex. and then off to Greece. They had a particular torrid time there. He was fortunate not to be offloaded from the Ship "City of London" at Crete. The harbour was too crowded and subject to air attack. Only about 100 able bodied members of the regiment returned to Egypt, there were a few on another in another ship that did land on Crete. In Egypt they formed one battery and went with a small predominantly British force through Jordan and Iraq and into Syria. That force captured Fort Weygand, Palmyra and Homs. They then had some encounters with a pro Nazi Arab guerrillas. Gun crews of the 1st Anti-Tank disguised as normal trucks knocked out the enemy armed cars and then captured the guerrillas.

Dad told me about patrolling all the way across into Iran and there were a couple of skirmishes with pro Nazi groups there as well.
They returned to Syria during the winter.
Coming back to Australia they were landed at Perth and had to go by train across the Nullarbor. He then spent some time in Queensland including driving all the way from Townsville to Darwin and then back. There were no roads past Mt Isa.

He then spent a bit of time In PNG fighting as infantry. I think it was around Sanananda Track. He hated the jungle particularly as an infantry. Because he done a course in mechanics earlier he managed to do more training and was transferred to 63rd Light Anti-Aircraft regiment. Nevertheless he was a bit browned off at the Army by this stage as the Anti-Tank Regiment had been widely separated and sent off avery where.

I think Dad was in the 4th battery but if your Grandad was in Syria then they would have been together. He started of in the 2/1st Machine Gun Battalion also and only a portion of that formed the Anti-Tank Regiment.

I am keen to know about your Grandad.
There is a Facebook page bout the regiment but I am not on FAcebook

All the best,
Gordon Bedford

David W

Post by David W » 07 Feb 2016, 08:55

Gordon/GunnerRG.

During 2/1's brief foray into the Western Desert, can you tell me which three or four companies comprised the Regiment at that time?
Were they at full strength in both men & guns?
Were the 2Pdrs towed or porteed?

Thank you very much.
Kind Regards,
David.

gbedford

Post by gbedford » 26 Feb 2016, 18:05

David,

I believe there were four batteries, each 12 guns strong. They were at full strength. The guns were towed at this stage. Using them porte started in Syria where they had to fight the French and Arab armoured cars.

I am intrigued that you are interested.

Cheers,
Gordon

David W

Post by David W » 26 Feb 2016, 20:57

Gordon,

I have found the 16th, 20th & 26th Companies/batteries. But am struggling with a fourth.

Do you know what towing vehicle was used?

Thanks,
David.

gbedford

Post by gbedford » 05 Mar 2016, 13:14

David,

The other company was the 24th.
Those companies were not part of the 2/3 anti tank with the 9th Australian division.

David W

Post by David W » 05 Mar 2016, 13:33

Gordon.

We had moved away from the thread title, I'm sorry to have confused you. We were discussing the companies/batteries of the 2/1 of the 6th Division.
Thank you for filling in the missing one.

Kind Regards,
David.

Nasho23

Post by Nasho23 » 06 Apr 2016, 00:45

I have created the National ROTA Membership Database and Website for the Rats of Tobruk. Currently I have 10,438 Rats listed in two Sections: Veterans 7962 and Fallen 2476, along with 1214 POWs and 420 ++ Affiliate Members (Descendants and Relatives)
I am trying to get as many Rats on the Database as I can, as a Central Point for Basic Details.
If anyone can be bothered Scanning the Nominal Roll pages of "Target Tank" to me, I would appreciate that very much. I only have 106 2/3 ATnk Members on the Database. My Address is ( Owen Carlton, 6 White Ash Crt, Narre Warren, Vic, 3805 ) and my Email address is ( [email protected] )
Thank you all for your contributions.

Nasho23

Post by Nasho23 » 18 Jul 2016, 04:19

mccannmilitaria wrote:hi there, new to this site.
My grandad served in this regiment and I am trying to research all the guys who served with him.
I have found a handful but does anyone know where to get a list?
I am happy to help anyone. I have my grandads army records if the info is of interest.
Cheers
Hope
Hello, My name is Owen Carlton and, as a Member of ROTA Vic, I have created (2009-16) a National ROTA Membership Database and Website for Rats of Tobruk (Only Rats Website in the World). As of 18/07/2016, this Database contains; a Total of Rats 10544, in two Sections, Tobruk Veterans 8066 & Fallen 2478, POW Rats 1101, Living Rats 86, Affiliate Members 4414 and, I have 107 2/3 ATnk Members on this Database. If you contact me by Email (located in General Info/Contact Us/Owen Carlton, of my Website) I can forward you an Excel Spreadsheet of these Members. You can also view their Basic Information on my Rats of Tobruk Website ( www.ratsoftobrukvictoria.org.au ). Importantly, while I am at it, we are seeking Descendants and Relatives of Rats of Tobruk, to join this Last Remaining, Active, Rats of Tobruk Association, in Australia and the World. Anyone interested in keeping this Association, Alive and Functioning into the Future, in Honour of the Memory of All Rats of Tobruk, please contact me by Email (noted above). I am of the belief that it is the Responsibility of all Descendants and Relatives, to take the necessary action, to ensure this Association remains Alive and is never allowed to Fade into the Sunset. Stop and think what these Famous Men (some 14,000 of them) sacrificed for your Freedom and their/our Country. WE, as Descendants/Relatives, OWE THEM BIG TIME. Owen Carlton, a Proud Nasho & ROTA Vic, N0003

Nasho23

Post by Nasho23 » 18 Jul 2016, 05:01

Hello, My name is Owen Carlton and, as a Member of ROTA Vic, I have created (2009-16) a National ROTA Membership Database and Website for Rats of Tobruk (Only Rats Website in the World). As of 18/07/2016, this Database contains; a Total of Rats 10544, in two Sections, Tobruk Veterans 8066 & Fallen 2478, POW Rats 1101, Living Rats 86, Affiliate Members 4414 and, I have 107 2/3 ATnk Members on this Database.

Whilst I have posted similar previously, elsewhere on this Forum, I would like to direct your attention to having a look at my Website Database contents ( Tobruk_AL and Tobruk_LZ and Fallen ) for 2/3 ATnk Members.
If the Individual you are looking for, please Email me ( Website - General Info/Contact Us/Owen Carlton ) with the Individual's Service Number and Full Names, so that I can review his Service Records and hopefully be in a position to add him to the National ROTA Membership Database.
Please note - I must have Documented Evidence of his Service in a Unit that is listed on the Order of Battle - Tobruk (in this case 2/3 ATnk) and that he Served at Tobruk during the Siege Period of April 10 till October 22, 1941, before an Individual can be added to the Database, due to reasons of Integrity.
Documented Evidence, can be in the Form of:::: a) Printed Copy of Service Records obtained from NAA, prior to digitisation technology was adopted by NAA. b) Be able to Publicly View Service Records online at NAA. A request can be made to NAA by Email ( [email protected] ) to have Service Records digitised for Public Viewing (include Service Number and Full Names) - a small Fee of $20.90 is applied by NAA. c) Other Military Related Documented Evidence a Family may possess, in relation to an Individual's Service in Tobruk, during the Siege Period. d) Documented Evidence of an Individual having been, or, still is, a Member of a ROTA Branch in Australia.
This Database and Website, which is still a Work in Progress, is intended to be the First Search Choice (After Unit Association Records) for Basic Information about Rats of Tobruk, stored in one Source and easily accessed. If you do not find the Individual you are seeking, it would be because we have not been notified of his Service as a Rat of Tobruk, or, his Service Records have not been digitised by Family Members, or, no other Documented Evidence of his Service has been made available.
Lets find some more Members for the Database.
Owen Carlton, A Proud Nasho & ROTA Vic, N0003 - www.ratsoftobrukvictoria.org.au

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”