Churchill's Greatest Speech

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Andy

Churchill's Greatest Speech

Post by Andy » 14 Mar 2003 02:57

[Moved from the Polls section]

What do you think Churchill's greatest speech was? My personal favorite is "Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat."

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 14 Mar 2003 03:00

Finest Hour,

The Breach was good too, well actually all of them are but those are very powerful in my opinion.

Brig

Post by Brig » 14 Mar 2003 03:12

I never liked Churchill's speeches. I liked his comment though in response to the woman who said, "Sir, you are drunk!"

"Yes, but tomorrow I will be sober. Tomorrow you will still be ugly" Or something like that

Billy Bishop

Post by Billy Bishop » 14 Mar 2003 03:30

CLose enough Brig! :) I don't feel like digging up my "The Wit of Sir Winston" book. :)

Anyways, I chose "Never was so much owed by so many to so few". It still goes for today. People just don't understand that their lives would be completely different if those few men hadn't saved the world. I try to think about them everyday, and when I am doing something that I feel like giving up on, I always say to myself, "Hey, if those guys could do it in the harsh winter with no food and little clothes, I sure as hell can do my work."

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 14 Mar 2003 13:49

'Never so many...' is very inpsirational, but I get goose pimples when I hear 'We will fight them on the beaches...'. Churchill was a pasionate speaker because he beleived his own words, and consequently so did the people. I have no doubt if the Germans advanced towards London, he would of aquired a tommy gun (photo of Churchill with Thompson sub-machine gun), and 'bagged some Jerries'. :D

Benoit Douville
Financial supporter

Post by Benoit Douville » 15 Mar 2003 03:31

I voted other because I think that the most famous speech by Churchill was when he said athe end of the war in Europe that he was not sure if they had eliminated the real evil speaking of Hitler... Good poll!

Javier Acuña

Post by Javier Acuña » 16 Mar 2003 04:51

I voted for "Toil tears and sweet" because that's a speech you don't hear quite often, at least I haven't heard any other politician saying something like that.

Anyway, I have a hard time listening to Churchill's speeches. His pronunciation is somehow funny.

Emerson Begolly

Post by Emerson Begolly » 27 Mar 2003 00:43

I, actually, didn't care for any of his speeches. They weren't as energetic as those of another leaders at that time or today.

Em.

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 27 Mar 2003 17:52

I personally like very much for Churchill´s speech "On Finnish Resistance to Soviet Invasion" from time during Winter War or soon after it in year 1940. It´s funny to listen, especially when thinks that almost 2 years later he declared war to Finland :)

karltrowitz

Post by karltrowitz » 30 Mar 2003 14:11

We will fight them on the beaches...we will never surrender! Just what the people of Britain needed to hear after all the defeats of early-mid 1940.I must disagree with Uncle Karl.Although I personally think Churchill brought nothing but ruin on the UK and the empire by continueing the war in June 1940,he was definately one of the greatest orators in history.His speeches, especially from the 1940 period were fantastic.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 30 Mar 2003 16:16

Karltrowitz wrote
Although I personally think Churchill brought nothing but ruin on the UK and the empire by continueing the war in June 1940

Care to expand on that, unless you wanted a German victory or a Europe dominated by Germany.

Andy

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 30 Mar 2003 17:58

"Their Finest Hour" was in my opinion the greatest speech he made. Very very sensitive speech indeed and it still strikes me to this day.

karltrowitz

Post by karltrowitz » 02 Apr 2003 12:25

Andy H wrote:Karltrowitz wrote
Although I personally think Churchill brought nothing but ruin on the UK and the empire by continueing the war in June 1940

Care to expand on that, unless you wanted a German victory or a Europe dominated by Germany.

Andy

After 1945 Britain was virtually bankrupt,it's industries and cities were in ruins and it had lost a large number of young men at a time when it was still recovering from the horrendous losses of world war one.After 1945,most of the countries of the empire looked at Britain's weaknesses shown in the early part of the war.These countries then pushed for independance,in some cases not for the welfare of their peoples.By this stage, Britain could not stop the independance trend as it no longer could afford to keep these countries under British control.

If Britain had responded to Hitler's "last appeal to reason" in June 1940,we would still retain the empire and would not have taken the large numbers of casualties we did in WW2.Some say that Hitler would have gone back on any deal made with the UK later,but I think we all know that he held the highest esteem for Britain and it's empire.I think what he wanted above all else was and alliance or at least a deal with the UK.OK,he may not have been the nicest of people,but Churchill allied himself with Stalin quickly enough, and his past record wasn't exactly spotless.As for the fate of France,well,since the war how many times have they tried to "stitch up" Britain in almost everything we do (Falklands,Iraq,British beef imports,Lamb imports,Joining the EEC to name but a few)We owe France nothing.If Hitler won the war, then so be it!

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 07 Apr 2003 21:26

Karlowitz you are unfortunalty totally misinformed. So I will put it simply for you.

Did Great Britain lose the empire as a result of ww2? Yes

Was independence inevitable within 25 years minimum anyway? Yes ( WW1 caused the loss of the European empires in reality, ww2 only accelerated it).

Was Great Britains industrial capacity reduced by the war? No In fact the war effort meant a massive expansion with new machines from the US and refitted ship yards.

Did GB loose massive manpower resources due to the war? No, just over 300k British people were killed, comapred to over One million during ww1.

Oh, and contrary to popular opinion the Empire wasnt a buttress to GB strength but actually a drain, of the dozens of countries only Canada, India and Australia made a sizeable contribution. Other nations in the Empire made gallant sacrfices however the ships, men, supplies and commitments to their defence in far flung corners of the world in fact ended in a reducement in GB fighting strength at home.

Just a quick stat, the cost of running Iraq over 5yrs in the 1920's cost more than the entire UK helath budget over the same time, GB made no real profit from the countries oil.

Hope I helped there, oh and the US was always set to overtake GB, anyone who has seen the pictures of the aircraft assembly plants in LA the oil fields in Oklahoma, and the factories of Detroit, as well as the shipyards on the east coast knows that no one can challenge US supremacy at the moment, maybe China or Russia again in around 2020.

regards,

Raf

Post by Raf » 10 Apr 2003 16:02

All those speeches are fantastic. This man was such a great orator, who could boost morale so well. I just can't choose one.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”