What Tank adaptation is this ?

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
OldBill

Re: What Tank adaptation is this ?

Post by OldBill » 01 May 2012 15:22

"they've had to torch the front out of the driver's position because the gun is blocking access to his normal hatch!!"

Are you sure of that? With the early model of the M3, the hatch opened outward (upper and lower hatch halves) and you can just make out both in the pic. At least it seems that way to my old bifocaled eyes...

Paul_G_Baker

Post by Paul_G_Baker » 01 May 2012 16:03

OldBill wrote:"they've had to torch the front out of the driver's position because the gun is blocking access to his normal hatch!!"

Are you sure of that? With the early model of the M3, the hatch opened outward (upper and lower hatch halves) and you can just make out both in the pic. At least it seems that way to my old bifocaled eyes...
Well spotted! I've just given the better-quality pic in C&E a going-over with the old magnifying glass - and the shadows confirm that you are right!!!
Paul

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 01 May 2012 16:34

Given taht the 18 pdr was the universal Commonwealth gun of WWI & available in lage numbers,Tanks with distroyed turrents probably became local lash ups. It was still a potent weapon .

Certainly safer than a 'Smith Gun'- on a Covenanter tank- with worn soft bolt Canadian Ross rifles for small armm defense- right Phylo?

ANDYLAWTON

Post by ANDYLAWTON » 07 May 2018 17:45

Paul_G_Baker wrote:Not very safe to try to yse it as an SP anti-tank vehicle, IMHO - they've had to torch the front out of the driver's position because the gun is blocking access to his normal hatch!!
IT is actually the drivers hatch not a cut out :)

verdenpark

Post by verdenpark » 21 Jul 2018 17:03

phylo_roadking wrote:
30 Apr 2012 00:23
What was its role, a support tank giving HE fire. The Stuart did not have a HE support version like most British tank types, so was it used in lieu of a 3 inch how tank.
Clive, the British Army rarely used its "howitzer tanks" for HE support; see the various threads here on "CS Tanks" ;) They were originally intended as a way of accompanying command squadrons with an ability to throw smoke ahead to manouver into...as a tank's smoke candles would only hide where it was at any given moment :P But the CS versions were ALSO issued with a small percentage of HE to allow them to protect themselves against A/T guns ;) (in some cases a VERY small percentage indeed!)

It was actually the Australians who best used CS versions in actual combat; they used their CS Matilda IIs as HE support in New Guinea, especially the fighting around Port Moresby. They liked them SO much in this role, they traded some Valentines for New Zealand's handful of CS tanks! Beyond that...I've seem comments in a number of places that British CS tanks were used as gun tanks in Cyrenaica in 1941..rather unsuccessfully/unspectacularly! But I've never been able to track down the exact incidents - anyone know?
What fighting around Port Moresby are you referring to exactly? The geography of the area around the town is not conducive to armoured warfare. Namely steep hills and swamps. There were patrols of infantry and light horse (yes, on horseback) around the area, but to my knowledge, no action was ever engaged in. The main Japanese advance along the Kokoda track was stopped by infantry and a Troop of 25pdr.'s (painstakenly dragged up and down the hills by hand) at Uberi some twenty miles away from the town. The anti tank actions at Milne Bay were fought by the infantry with Boys A.T. rifles. The first Australian tank action in New Guinea was at Gona in December 1942, with M3 Stuarts. The Stuarts were found to be too soft skinned when facing the Jap 47mm A.T. guns at Buna, so were replced by the Matildas', which did not enter the fray until Finschhafen or Lae (cannot remember which) in 1943. Both are on the North coast of N.G., well away from Moresby.
Those who live by the sword...... get shot.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”