Avro York (passenger/paratrooper version of Avro Lancaster)

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Saxon Cross

Avro York (passenger/paratrooper version of Avro Lancaster)

Post by Saxon Cross » 03 May 2012 16:34

Does anyone know if the Avro York was used in Operation Market Garden or Operation Overlord?

Churchill was using one in early 1943, and it was issued to some squadrons in early 1944, but I'm not sure it ever used for paratroop drops, although there was certainly a version made with a 'trap door' for that purpose.

It seems it was used to fly jeeps (4 at a time) into France in July 1944. But I can find little info about its' operational use in WWII.

Thanks in advance.
Saxon

Clive Mortimore

Re: Avro York (passenger/paratrooper version of Avro Lancast

Post by Clive Mortimore » 04 May 2012 23:41

Saxon Cross wrote:Does anyone know if the Avro York was used in Operation Market Garden or Operation Overlord?

Churchill was using one in early 1943, and it was issued to some squadrons in early 1944, but I'm not sure it ever used for paratroop drops, although there was certainly a version made with a 'trap door' for that purpose.

It seems it was used to fly jeeps (4 at a time) into France in July 1944. But I can find little info about its' operational use in WWII.

Thanks in advance.
Saxon
Hi Saxon

The York was not used for paratroop duties during the war. Below is a list of the squadrons that operated the York.
24, Based at Hendon. Yorks for VIPs 1943. The Yorks left in October 1944, leaving just Dakotas and some Ansons.
40, Post war use.
51, Post war use.
59, Post war use.
99, Post war use.
206, Post war use.
242, Based at Stony Cross. Some Yorks arrived in April 1945 and these were used to carry passengers as well as freight to the Middle East and then onto the Far East. They were only used until July 1945. The Squadron used Stirlings for the same duties.
246, A new 246 Squadron was formed on 11 October 1944 at Lyneham. Used Yorks form December 1944 for VIP work. The squadron also used Halifaxes and Liberators.
511, Based at Lyneham .From July 1944 the squadron began to concentrate on long distance routes, employing Yorks in 'A' Flight and Liberators in 'B' Flight. When the Liberators were transferred to No 246 Squadron in December 1944, the squadron became solely York equipped. It continued trooping flights to the Middle East and the Far East until disbanding on 7 October 1946.
British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) also received some, these were used mainly for transport troops to and from the Middle East.

Yours

Clive
Clive

Saxon Cross

Post by Saxon Cross » 05 May 2012 18:38

Thanks Clive.

I guess it was 511 Squadron flying Jeeps into France.

I saw 1944 news reel footage of the the York being loaded with Jeeps for France. I'll have to dig that film out and listen more closely.

Cheers,
Saxon

Andy H
Forum Staff

Re: Avro York (passenger/paratrooper version of Avro Lancaster)

Post by Andy H » 11 Jan 2021 14:39

Hi Clive

There's some detail regarding numbers operated between 1943 and 1945 here:-
https://ab-ix.co.uk/pdfs/AMIL-BOAC-Flee ... o-1945.pdf

Regards

Andy H

EwenS

Post by EwenS » 11 Jan 2021 16:08

Saxon Cross wrote:
05 May 2012 18:38
Thanks Clive.

I guess it was 511 Squadron flying Jeeps into France.

I saw 1944 news reel footage of the the York being loaded with Jeeps for France. I'll have to dig that film out and listen more closely.

Cheers,
Saxon
I doubt that it was 511 squadron as it was engaged on long range transport duties. By D-Day only 4 prototypes (one converted as VVIP for Churchill) and 15 production aircraft had flown, of which 7 were with 511 squadron (in first class passenger configuration), 3 with BOAC, 4 VIP (including 2 sent overseas for Gen Smuts in South Africa and Earl Mountbatten in SEAC) and the sole freighter configured aircraft with the Transport Aircraft Modification Unit.

There were about another 30 completed by the end of the year. The Yorks were planned to be built in batches according to role. Of the first 30 production aircraft all bar one were fitted out as VIP or first class pax configuration. After that, from Oct 1944, they began to be produced as long range freighters and then with passenger cum freighter aircraft being introduced in 1945.

A more likely explanation is that the film, if it actually dates to 1944, was of LV639 which was used for trial installation work on paratroop equipment with Avro from May 1944 until it went to the AFEE in 1945 for official paratroop and glider trials. The York did not prove suitable for either of those activities. Or maybe even MW105 with TAMU.

Transporting jeeps to France by transport aircraft is not a very efficient even if you could pack 4 in. Sounds like some kind of demonstration to me, hence it being filmed. I’d love to see the film if you can find it.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”