For varjag

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Robert Hurst

For varjag

Post by Robert Hurst » 28 Apr 2003, 14:02

Hi

I hope you enjoy the rest of the stuff that I will be putting onto the site with regard to the other types of British power-operated turrets.

The only means of exit for the gunner in the Boulton Paul Defiant was by means of the sliding double doors at the back of the turret.

When the Type A turret was fitted to such aircraft as the Halifax the sliding double doors were retained on the early A.Type Mk.VIII models. It was after many reports such as Sgt. Les Fuller's that the doors were deleted:

Several times on operations they whipped open with a hell of a roar and bang, the slipstream ripped in and almost dragged you out of the turret. It was terrifying when it happened, and it was almost impossible to close them as I was tall and there was little elbow room. The trouble was caused by the retaining studs being forced out of the runners by the slipstream.

Regards

Bob

varjag

Gunner exit from 'Defiant'

Post by varjag » 01 May 2003, 14:25

Thanks Bob - I thought as much. Are there any recorded successful 'exits' from DEFIANTS by 'the recommended method'? I suppose the poor sod after having opened the sliding doors (how did they slide?) had to dive under his battery of guns, nimble and agile in his flying-suit/parachute combo - and elegantly dismount his charger to safely descend to Mother Earth......Has anyone ever suggested a special bravery 'gong' for Defiant-gunners? I have a vague feeling that they belong in the category of VBM's that manned 'Neger-Torpedoes' , German Rocket-fighters and Japanese Banzai's - i.e. - VERY BRAVE MEN. Rgds, Varjag

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”