WWII bombs found in West Bengal, India

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
South
Financial supporter

WWII bombs found in West Bengal, India

Post by South » 17 Apr 2018 21:05

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/two-wor ... ge-1838839

Good afternoon all,

Article is about 2 bombs found in West Bengal, India.

I'm posting this less so for the representational image of the bombs (each at 100 kgs) but more so for the peripheral info in the article that's superb for research, such as:

-Roosevelt Town
-Air Force station at Kappe
-remnants of several buildings named after American soldiers.

Not peripheral to the current safety issue: "a pile of sand" ..... I'd argue for a real large pile while waiting for the bombs' removal............

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

ROLAND1369

Re: WWII bombs found in West Bengal, India

Post by ROLAND1369 » 18 Apr 2018 16:43

Their research is not very good. The picture clearly shows an artillery round as evidenced by rotating band on the rear, the appearance of which indicates that it has been fired. Its shape would indicate a WW I or older design and if the weight is correct at least an 8 inch or larger. In any event unlikely to be from a WW II airfield.

South
Financial supporter

Re: WWII bombs found in West Bengal, India

Post by South » 18 Apr 2018 17:11

Good morning Roland 1369,

Appreciate post.

A rotating band or expansion band ?

At least the pub has an interest in the war - regardless of their photo-"morgue" of pictures for stories.

Still, let's not file any report at this police station until the things are relocated - far away !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”