Use of 2 pdr HE and APCR (Littlejohn adapter) in ETO in 1944-45?

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Juha

Use of 2 pdr HE and APCR (Littlejohn adapter) in ETO in 1944-45?

Post by Juha » 07 Jun 2018 23:02

Are there any information on the use of 2 pdr in ETO in 1944-45. I’m especially interested in the armoured car units. Any user opinions on
a) 2 pdr HE, because one of the drawbacks of the Littlejohn adapter mentioned is that it prevented the use of HE, so I’d think that the 2 pdr HE was seen to have some usefulness. I have also seen some photos showing two Daimler ACs, one with the adapter the other without.
b) the use of 2 pdr against German AFVs, either using 2 pdr APCBC or Littlejohn APCR?
c) I read once that some Daimler AC crews used Littlejohn ammo without adapter, so as a normal APCR ammo. Any proof on that?

TIA
Juha

OldBill

Re: Use of 2 pdr HE and APCR (Littlejohn adapter) in ETO in 1944-45?

Post by OldBill » 08 Jun 2018 23:47

Some years ago (and I have no clue WHERE I read it, being in the dim mists of the past) I also read that crews didn't use the LIttlejohn, but fired the APCR, so they could use HE. I seem to recall that this was with US crews of the M3 light tanks and the M8 armored cars, So I think the info is out there, its just finding it. Good luck!

Alanmccoubrey
Financial supporter

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 09 Jun 2018 09:49

I have been watching a lot of film of the British in NW Europe and all of the Daimler armoured cars that I saw in that film had the Littlejohn fitted. Remember too that the turrets were also removed from a lot of Daimlers because the gun was more or less useless anyway and the lowering of the vehicle was seen as of more benefit than keeping the gun.
Alan

Juha

Post by Juha » 09 Jun 2018 21:55

Hello Alan and Bill
thanks for the answers.
So Littlejohn adapter was more common than I thought. But anyway I have seen several photos/stills of Daimler ACs in the ETO without the adapter. Even a couple of the 2nd Household Cavalry's Daimler ACs, at least according to captions, without the adapter even if on almost all photos/stills of the Daimlers of that unit I have seen they had the adapter installed. And I mean ACs seemingly in combat duty, not in parades or neatly parked front of barracks.

Juha

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”