If UK falls, what options for the Royal Navy?

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
OpanaPointer

If UK falls, what options for the Royal Navy?

Post by OpanaPointer » 06 Jan 2019 16:17

What plans were on the table if the UK were occupied? Obviously we'll be talking about the units that remained after what would have been an epic battle. Were units designated to evacuate the Royal family? Sources would be appreciated, but memories are bread crumbs for me.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

OpanaPointer

Re: If UK falls, what options for the Royal Navy?

Post by OpanaPointer » 07 Jan 2019 00:54

This is going to take some digging, I see.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 07 Jan 2019 12:20

I can't remember where I saw it but I seem to recall that the plan was to send the fleet to Canada.

sitalkes

Post by sitalkes » 08 Jan 2019 01:09

Hitler's original proposal was that Britain not be occupied but accept peace and agree to German dominion over Europe - in that case, the RN stays in Britain. If Britain were occupied it can be assumed that the RN has taken a beating in the process but has not been destroyed as a matter of policy as there was no point in committing suicide if Britain was to be subsequently liberated. Canada seems the obvious choice. The "we shall fight them on the beaches speech finishes with "and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Dann Falk

Post by Dann Falk » 08 Jan 2019 01:24

Just in case the UK fell to Nazi Germany, the US started the B-36 Bomber program to be able to bomb Europe from the US or Canada. Range 10,000 miles unrefueled. It could also carry the A-Bomb to Europe.

Dann Falk

Post by Dann Falk » 09 Jan 2019 17:32

Dann Falk wrote:
08 Jan 2019 01:24
Just in case the UK fell to Nazi Germany, the US started the B-36 Bomber program to be able to bomb Europe from the US or Canada. Range 10,000 miles unrefueled. It could also carry the A-Bomb to Europe.
Sorry my post was not about the Royal Navy.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 12 Jan 2019 14:49

OpanaPointer wrote:
06 Jan 2019 16:17
What plans were on the table if the UK were occupied? Obviously we'll be talking about the units that remained after what would have been an epic battle. Were units designated to evacuate the Royal family? Sources would be appreciated, but memories are bread crumbs for me.
Hi OP

Beyond broad plans about possible safe arrival ports, there won't be a specific vessel allocation plan etc because the scenario never came to pass.

Best

Andy H

OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer » 12 Jan 2019 21:43

Hi. I'm tracking down a conversation Churchill and FDR had on this topic. Just as soon as my surprise birthday present gets here.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”