Hawken Typhoon question

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
MarkF617

Hawken Typhoon question

Post by MarkF617 » 31 May 2019, 14:24

Hello,

I am currently reading: 2nd Tactical Airforce by Christopher F. Shores. On page 41, when discussing the Hawker Typhoon, it has the following to say:
an experienced pilot, providing all four cannons were operating, could literally write his name on the ground with cannon fire.
I was wondering if there is any evidence for this claim, any pictures or eye witnesses or is it a case of a pilot saying he did it i his memoirs?

Thanks

Mark.
You know you're British when you drive your German car to an Irish pub for a pint of Belgian beer before having an Indian meal. When you get home you sit on your Sweedish sofa and watch American programs on your Japanese TV.

Rob Stuart

Re: Hawken Typhoon question

Post by Rob Stuart » 31 May 2019, 16:35

The rear gunners on RAF heavy bombers could literally write their names, but they did it on the ground with a pencil poking out of one barrel and someone holding a sheet of paper in contact with the point of the pencil. It was done to show how responsive or sensitive the turret's training and elevating gear was. For the life of me a cannot see how the fixed wing guns of any fighter could have been used to literally write the pilot's name. And if it were possible, why would it be possible only for the Typhoon? Maybe Shores meant "virtually" rather than "literally".

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 31 May 2019, 16:41

I think PO Smith might be able to do it but Squadron Leader Buller-Barrington-Smith would struggle!

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 31 May 2019, 18:07

Michael Kenny wrote:
31 May 2019, 16:41
I think PO Smith might be able to do it but Squadron Leader Buller-Barrington-Smith would struggle!
LOL.

I once knew a private in the Canadian Army whose surname was the letter E. She was an immigrant from Vietnam, IIRC. (Her pay was often held up because the pay staff would tartly tell the unit orderly room that her full surname needed to be given in her pay documents and not just her initial.) But I don't see how even an 'E' could be written with 4 x 20mm guns.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”