British ammunition scales (by line/echelon) 1943-45

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Gary Kennedy

British ammunition scales (by line/echelon) 1943-45

Post by Gary Kennedy » 22 Nov 2019, 11:39

I asked this on another forum and thought it might fit here as well.

Over the years I've found some details of the amount of ammunition provided for various weapons in the US and German armies, but I've never found an equivalent for the British Army. Notes on "Q" matters, comparing British and US approaches, define the British system as;

First line (with units) - refers to amn carried on the man, in the tank, in trailers or on unit transport
Second line - in Div RASC transport
Third line - normally equal to second line, held 'on wheels' and/or in FMA (Forward Maintenance Area, I think)

'Line' also seems to be replaced by 'echelon' in some descriptions

Early war British WEs do include some detail on ammunition issue, which is largely gone by the end of 1942. There is fragmentary information on RA scales (for example, 6-pr guns as 96 on 1st echelon, then 48 each for 2nd and 3rd echelon, total 192 rounds per gun).

Has anyone seen a single source that may shed some light on this area, particularly for the late war period to include newer needs, such as 17-pr guns in tanks, PIATs, 4.2-in mortars, etc, or have an idea where I could look?

Thanks,

Gary

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”