Deployment of gunboats on West and Yangzi Rivers, 1917

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
jerryasher

Deployment of gunboats on West and Yangzi Rivers, 1917

Post by jerryasher » 17 Dec 2020, 01:09

Not sure this is the right forum--but though I would give it a try---This is arcane--In August/September the Royal Navy recommissioned the Widgeon, Teal, Woodlark/Woodcock for resumption of service. When and by whom was the decision taken to do so? The interesting thing to me is that the actions were taken after China joined in the war against Imperial Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empires. In short, rather than taken the burden off the British/Royal Navy, manpower was diverted to China. Strange---MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE

Andy H
Forum Staff

Re: Deployment of gunboats on West and Yangzi Rivers, 1917

Post by Andy H » 26 Dec 2020, 18:49

Hi

Briefly looking at there service, they were only in comission for a short period at the wars start before being laid up and not recomissioned till near the wars end.
Maybe the manpower was one facet of there fate but given that there complement was very small (around 40 souls and even less if your just considering full time RN Officers and OR's) it would be a very minor consideration IMO.
Also once the German enclave at Tsingtao was neutralised in November 1914, then I presume this had a bigger effect on decomissioning the gunboats, than said manpower!

Regards

Andy H

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”