cromwell on d day

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
yantaylor

cromwell on d day

Post by yantaylor » 22 May 2021, 15:56

Hello all, just a quick question, a good friend from the states has asked me a question regarding Cromwell tanks which landed during D Day.
The Cromwell had waterproofing for a beach landing, now would these hoods which ptotected the exhausts be removed straight after landing? and did any Cromwells which fought at Viller-Bocage still have these hoods in situ.

Thank you for any help.
Stay safe
Ian

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: cromwell on d day

Post by OpanaPointer » 22 May 2021, 16:05

The question would be "how do the hood affect operation of the tank?" If they're not in the way or a problem removal would be "when convenient", usually meaning "when the crew should actually be getting some sleep."
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 22 May 2021, 18:19

Would you leave them in place?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... 1060019410

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... 1060008456

Note that a 'Normandy Hood' should not be confused with a wading trunk.

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 22 May 2021, 21:08

Yes I see Michael, I didn't know that there was a difference, thanks!
I suppose OP, that after a day landing, the tanks would need a rest, the hoods would wait I guess.

Villers-Bocage was around six or seven days after the 7th armoured landed, so I would guess that most if all of these hoods would have been discarded.
I have looked at a few after the battle photos of the event and I can't see a hood in sight!

Stay safe
Ian

Michel Sabarly

Post by Michel Sabarly » 28 Sep 2021, 00:40

First of all, the only Cromwell tanks planned to land on D Day proper were scheduled with Follow-up Force L (i.e. not with any of the Assault Forces), and only a handful, if any, actually landed late in the night of D Day, so well after any fighting had ceased on the beaches or close inland.

As regards when to dump the wading trunks, instructions to dump them ASAP were because they, as well as waterproofing in general, generated engine overheating which could result in seizing. Their interfering with the free traverse of the main armament was of course also a good reason to get rid of them earliest.

Michel

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”