Churchill/British peace feelings towards Germany

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
viriato

Churchill/British peace feelings towards Germany

Post by viriato » 11 Jul 2003 22:01

I'm now reading the biography of Stalin by Edward Radzinsky. He states that in the last months of war Churchill and the British government approached the German one on account of a peace without "Unconditional Surrender" without the knowledge of both the USA and the USSR. At a certain point Stalin was informed and he contacted Roosevelt reporting the matter. Immediatly after the British dropped their initiative. Does anyone know anything about this?

Tancred

Post by Tancred » 13 Jul 2003 00:01

I know nothing about this and it seems VERY unlikely in my view, especially if right at the end of the war. What would Churchill have gained from it? A peace initiative would only have made sense before the US entry into the war, but at that time Churchill would have none of it.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 13 Jul 2003 14:08

I think the inference is that a conditional surrender would include the allowance of Germany to continue fighting the Communists.

A quote that is attributed to Churchill from the last months of the war is:

"Oliver Cromwell was a great man, but obsessed with the power of Spain, he failed to see the rise of France, will they say the same of me?"

However I find it highly unlikely.

regards,

tecumseh

Post by tecumseh » 14 Jul 2003 00:14

Lord Gort wrote:I think the inference is that a conditional surrender would include the allowance of Germany to continue fighting the Communists.

Or even a deal to allow rapid western allied avance while the east line is held. Either way, I can imagine it being *very* tempting for Churchill. He understood exactly what was going on. But I don't know enough about him to know if it happened. I know enough about Stalin though to know he could have made it up!

HaEn
In memoriam

peace ?

Post by HaEn » 14 Jul 2003 04:26

An interesting point is that about end April 1945, I was told by my Rgt.C.O. ( I was a melder) that "peace feelers" with England were underway. We would be temporarily disarmed; transported under British supervision to Germany proper,, then re-armed and help stem the tide of Bolshevism. It turned out to be false, but i still wonder if there was an underlying truth in it. HN.

redcoat

Re: Churchill/British peace feelings towards Germany

Post by redcoat » 14 Jul 2003 21:53

I doubt it happened.
The UK wasn't even in the position of being able to grant a non- unconditional peace treaty on the Western front without US agreement, and seeing the British knew that Roosevelt would not accept anything else, there would be no point in them trying even if they wanted to.
Also Churchill would have had nothing to do with an agreement with anybody connected with the Nazi party. He may have tried to do a deal if the Bomb Plot of july 44 had been successful, but while the Nazi's were still in power, 'Never'.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”