Photograph North African Hurricane (?) with Pilot

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
CaptainDarling

Photograph North African Hurricane (?) with Pilot

Post by CaptainDarling » 11 Nov 2022, 07:32

Below is a photo of a friend of mines Father with his aircraft, picture is said to have been taken during his service in North Africa, the uniform certainly fits the bill for that.
D1E21402-E620-46EB-BA82-B7933B2C152B.jpeg
He asked me to identify the aircraft and it looks like a Hurricane Mk II to me with the air filter for North African deployment but stand to be corrected, I’m not an expert on all aircraft types.

What I find interesting is the undercarriage, I can not find a picture of one with such a set up, notice the ‘brace’ arching over the tyre, I’m wondering if it is a ‘balloon’ tyre for desert use and top part is there because of its width?

What are others thoughts on the aircraft and the undercarriage tyre arrangement? I thank you for your opinions.

Cheers!

John(txic)

Re: Photograph North African Hurricane (?) with Pilot

Post by John(txic) » 11 Nov 2022, 10:15

Defiant TTIII, I believe - several units in Egypt had these former turret-fighters re-roled and converted to target tugs.

CaptainDarling

Post by CaptainDarling » 11 Nov 2022, 21:06

Thanks John, that’s it and explains the undercarriage (looked online) I didn’t even think of the Defiant as an option for the North African theatre, knew it was best to check here before telling my mate, cheers!

CogCalgary

Post by CogCalgary » 12 Nov 2022, 02:52

Tires certainly look right.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”