Major-General Sir Stewart Graham Menzies

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Steen Ammentorp

Major-General Sir Stewart Graham Menzies

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 02 Mar 2023, 22:57

Hi,

I am trying to establish the career of Major-General Sir Stewart Graham Menzies, and I am a bit puzzled.

He retired from the Army as a Colonel on the 17th April 1940, but any further promotions eludes me. The London Gazette refers to him as a Major-General (1st June 1951), as a Local Major-General (16th November 1948 & 28th January 1949), as a Colonel (20th February 1948), as a Temporary Major-General (14 January 1947 & 11th may 1948) a Local Brigadier (5th October 1943). Every time in connection with the confirment of an order or decoration whether British or Foreign.
Various sources mentions that he was promoted to Major-General in January 1944, 1944 or 1945 but none gives an exact date. What is strange that no Army List has him with a rank higher than Colonel - None of the Quarterly Army Lists during the war, nor the Gradation Lists for 1957 or 1962.

Yet he is always referred to as a Major-General, which is strange if he was not promoted to the substantive rank of Major-General or Granted the Honorary rank of Major-General, which should be in the Gradation Lists.

I all seems a bit strange to me. Of course considering his line of work a promotion may have been a secret at one point, but surely not after his retirement.

Does anybody have any further information about his promotions?
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”