British operation in ALBANIA 1943

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Grigorij Kastrioti

British operation in ALBANIA 1943

Post by Grigorij Kastrioti » 13 Nov 2003, 18:31

I am interested about British operation in Albania 1943 commanded by major Neil McLean from Scots Grey Regiment. The aim of the operation was to organize Albanian reistance against German and Italians. As far as I have heard, McLean wrote his memories in 50´s with the title "The White Eagles". I have tried to find a copy of this book, but so far in vain. Can anybody help?

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 13 Nov 2003, 19:45

A more recent book on the subject is Albanian Assignment by David Smiley, who was with McLean in Albania. This book was published in 1984.

regards,
Tapani K.

Grigorij Kastrioti

Thanks

Post by Grigorij Kastrioti » 13 Nov 2003, 19:54

. 8O ..and 3rd viewer offered his help. Fast service, I would say :D . And I have looking for McLeans book for years. :lol: Thanks again!

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 14 Nov 2003, 09:13

Glad if I could help by sharing this bit of information.

regards,
Tapani K.

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 14 Nov 2003, 12:12

I got curious and did some internet searches. I found nothing on Google with neil mclean white eagles but Amazon.com hinted at Sons of the Eagle by Julian Amery written in 1948 and a Google search confirmed the existence of this book. Julian Amery was another British officer in Albania with the SOE mission. Are you sure about McLean and The White Eagles?

BTW, Julian Amery's father was Leo Amery, a British cabinet minister during the war and his brother was John Amery of the Britisches Freikorps fame. Julian himself became a Conservative politician after the war.

regards,
Tapani k.

Grigorij Kastrioti

Sons of the Eagle

Post by Grigorij Kastrioti » 16 Nov 2003, 15:36

Tapani, you may be right! And that is the reason why I haven´t find that book!

Now, when you mentioned, I have also heard about that title "Sons of the Eagle" and Julian Amery, but some of my scoures menetioned in discussions "The White Eagles" tile and McLean. BTW White Eagles was as far as I understand the name of the royalist orientated resistance movement in central Albania mainly Burrel - Peshkopi area and they have quite a bitter end when Hoxah´s partisans won the game. So, maybe there is a mistake about the names. And anyway, as we all know, Shqiperia ( Albania) is a land of the Eagles.

Again, thanks for your help for this my "foreverlasting Albania project".

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 16 Nov 2003, 16:09

Greetings Grigorij, I would also recommend Reginald Hibbert's book Albania's National Liberation Struggle: The Bitter Victory as he was too one of the british officers in Albania at the time :wink:

Tapani K.

Re: Sons of the Eagle

Post by Tapani K. » 16 Nov 2003, 17:50

Grigorij Kastrioti wrote:Tapani, you may be right! And that is the reason why I haven´t find that book!
Of course, I do not know for sure about this; it was just a thought. But I do own Smiley's book and he mentions Amery's book in a footnote. I also have a book about the post-war Western clandestine operations in Albania: The Great Betrayal by Nicholas Bethell. Bethell mentions both Amery's and Smiley's books in his bibliography and no book by McLean.

regards,
Tapani K.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”