Britain's role in WW2.

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Eightball

Britain's role in WW2.

Post by Eightball » 03 Dec 2003, 23:30

We have a project in our English class this month, and we could choose our own assignment. I chose to elaborate Britain's role in WW2. The problem is, that we get a mere 15 minutes to do our presentation infront of class. Considering how wide this topic is, I thought I'd come here to get some pointers on what material would be more relevant etc.

I was thinking about, in the beginning, to start off with a small introduction about WW2 in general. Only very short of course. Then I'd move on to the British fighting in France, Dunkirk and BoB. Then depict the poor condition of the British army and the morale of the people etc. Then I'd go on telling a bit about Winston Churchill, and how he went against public opinion and strongly declined peace with Germany. After that, I'd explain a bit about the British fighting in Africa, how they came into an alliance with the US, and very short about their participation in the liberation of Europe.

That's my current battleplan, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 04 Dec 2003, 17:42

No one?

Steve

Post by Steve » 06 Dec 2003, 03:16

Maybe why the British were prepared to go to war with Germany. That they were going to violate Norwegian neutrality but the Germans struck first on a larger scale. Churchill captured the mood of most of the British by refusing to make a deal with Hitler. The British were the junior partners in the coalition but they still contributed about a third of the forces in the liberation of western Europe. After the war Britain was in a poor state economicaly with some forms of rationing continuing for another six years.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 08 Dec 2003, 22:50

Thanks, Steve. I had completely forgotten about British policy towards Norway prior to the German invasion. An interesting thing worth mentiong.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 09 Dec 2003, 09:35

Maybe that the British honoured their agreement to help the Polish, fought in France & Belgium to help their Allies despite having only a small Army available, that the RAF Fighter Command fought against massive odds against Göring's luftwaffe and many died, that people at home suffered bombing night after night but still went to work everyday to keep the war effort going, that 1 in 4 merchant seamen died bringing supplies to the UK so that Britain could carry on the fight for Europe, meanwhile a small Army in Africa started to whup the Italians so that Hitler had to divert huge resources and his best General..........

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”