Wartime bombers reunited

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Marcus

Wartime bombers reunited

Post by Marcus » 22 Jun 2002 08:58

Six heroes of the only surviving RAF bomber crew are coming face-to-face for the first time in 57 years.
Retired pilot Tom Grossett, 79, from Pentwyn, Cardiff, has spent the mission of a lifetime tracking down his fellow brave crewmen from World War II.
Mr Grossett found four of them in different parts of the UK - and eventually traced the fifth crew member to Australia.
Now he is waiting anxiously to meet Jimmy Spence - the tail gunner in the warplane - who is flying from his home in Sydney for a reunion in Manchester on Saturday.
All the crew members were in their early 20s when they flew bombing missions to defeat the Nazis.
The crew - who have nicknamed themselves "The Invincibles" - flew 13 missions in March and April 1945, dropping their 4,000lb load of bombs on railways, roads and Nazi gun sites.
The war ended soon afterwards and the friends went their separate ways, all promising to keep in touch with one another.
A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "It is quite an amazing story.
"There are hundreds of RAF associations and groups from the last war, but these old timers are the last complete crew left from the war."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/wal ... 058665.stm

HaEn
In memoriam

bomber crew

Post by HaEn » 24 Jun 2002 22:06

I DO wonder, what would have happened if a Luftwaffe bomber crew still would be able to get contact with each other, and reminisce about sorties flown against London. I think the world press would get in an uproar about "these nazis" getting together. March 1945 and April 1945, were not very heroic missions, they were mainly against poor- or undefended cities, like Dresden, Hamburg, and a few dozen more. Although "bomber Harris" threw his planes into battle with reckless contempt of lives, even his own men. and thus lost hundreds of planes, the German FLAK was manned by cripples and children, and not very effective anymore. Oh well. Regards HN.

Ovidius

Re: bomber crew

Post by Ovidius » 24 Jun 2002 22:19

HaEn wrote:I DO wonder, what would have happened if a Luftwaffe bomber crew still would be able to get contact with each other, and reminisce about sorties flown against London. I think the world press would get in an uproar about "these nazis" getting together.

A Luftwaffe reunion would be tolerated, with some(read "a great deal of") luck - this meaning another event(like terrorism, earthquake, flooding etc) to distract the attention of the media bastards. :mrgreen:

But a Waffen SS(or even worse, an Allgemeine SS) reunion would need a really "blind luck from Heaven" to not be publicized in Spielbergian style :mrgreen:

March 1945 and April 1945, were not very heroic missions, they were mainly against poor- or undefended cities, like Dresden, Hamburg, and a few dozen more. Although "bomber Harris" threw his planes into battle with reckless contempt of lives, even his own men. and thus lost hundreds of planes, the German FLAK was manned by cripples and children, and not very effective anymore.

Although the FlaK defenses were manned by Blitzmadeln, 12-year-old boys and cripples, while the Luftwaffe airplanes were flown by teenage boys hastily trained on gliders, they still took with them in Heavens the souls of some poor bastards from Harris' hordes :mrgreen:

~Best regards,

Ovidius

HaEn
In memoriam

flak

Post by HaEn » 24 Jun 2002 22:26

Amen ! My brother was an "old timer" in his flak crew, he just had turned 15; he was taken prisoner by the Russians. Survived it though.
His sour joke: "never say stinking bolsjevik; Red Army is bad enough". :aliengray HN.

Ovidius

Re: flak

Post by Ovidius » 24 Jun 2002 23:18

HaEn wrote:Amen ! My brother was an "old timer" in his flak crew, he just had turned 15; he was taken prisoner by the Russians. Survived it though.
His sour joke: "never say stinking bolsjevik; Red Army is bad enough".

I agree entirely.

(And I'd say something(just to enrage Roberto): the accounts of those imprisoned in Soviet camps shocked me more than the accounts of Communist political prisoners in Buchenwald or Ravensbrück.) :(

~Best regards,

Ovidius

MadJim

ohhhh

Post by MadJim » 25 Jun 2002 09:58

ooh, a THOUGHT CRIME has just been committed. You are sentenced to watch the "Diary of Ann Frank" 500 times :monkee:

Paul Timms

Bmber crew

Post by Paul Timms » 25 Jun 2002 20:39

Sorry to dissapoint you all but these men flew a B-26 on daylight missions over Yugoslavia. Despite much of what is said bomber command was carrying out daylight raids not against cities at this stage.

HaEn
In memoriam

Re: ohhhh

Post by HaEn » 25 Jun 2002 23:08

MadJim wrote:ooh, a THOUGHT CRIME has just been committed. You are sentenced to watch the "Diary of Ann Frank" 500 times :monkee:

Oh PLEEEEEZE no; could I instead be horsewhipped , beheaded, or whatever ???
On a serious note though. My stepsister, who went to school with Anne, and was also a Jew (may she rest in peace), refused to see the movie.
Too unreal. HN

MadJim

hmm

Post by MadJim » 26 Jun 2002 02:16

interesting.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”